twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  07:33:44 AM  Show Profile
I know it's still technically fall, but jeepers. The first week in October we had snow and even a couple of blizzards. I-90 was shut down from the middle of SD to the western WY border, and that covers one heck of a lot of territory, believe me.

For the past three weeks we've been in the high 50's, 60's and even 70's. Last Wednesday it was 82°. Grrrrr.

For the record I will tell all you gals right now that I am a winter person. I LOVE cool/cold/freezing weather. My DH and I like to snowshoe and even do a little cross-country. When we were younger we used to downhill, but we do very little of that anymore. For about nine years we had so little moisture in this area (including snow) that it was not good skiing anyway and the manmade snow just isn't the same.

We have two local ski areas within 50 miles; Terry Peak and Deer Mountain which are both located near Deadwood. Our DIL's Dad is a part-time ski instructor there and they have a condo so we are invited to spend a weekend occasionally. It's nice but I'd rather just snowshoe for a while, head down into Deadwood for a nice dinner and a couple swigs of wine, gamble a little and then head home.

At any rate, I'm ready and waiting for more winter. Last winter we finally had some measureable snow and this spring we had lots of rain. All the bushes and trees just loved it, but we also had very little sunshine, so my container gardening idea went right down the tube. Had the pots all ready to go, but I never did put in the seeds because they would have rotted before they sprouted, for sure. I can't start seeds indoors because I don't have enough room in the upper level, and it's too cold in the lower level. Sooooo, I'll wait and try again next year.

Autumn has been sort of a bust here too because the leaves on some of the trees never really changed colors. We had freezing weather very early, so the trees didn't get a chance to change to all the rich hues of fall - just went right to that ugly army green. Spearfish Canyon was beautiful, as always, because they are protected a bit from the early frosts and freezes. I also have some sort of bush next to my mailbox that gets bright, bright red every year. Even this year it did, which surprised me, and it was gorgeous until last week when we had winds of up to 40 mph for a couple of days. Now there ain't a leaf left on any of the bushes or trees in my part of town. All that's missing is the snow ...

That's the weather situation in western SD! I have a feeling it's going to be a roller coaster year.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  07:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree Deb! I am sitting here contemplating giving my horse a bath today! A Bath!! In November!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  8:25:21 PM  Show Profile
So, Alee, did you bathe the horse today? I know -- it's November. Can you believe this? Did Billings get snow in early October like we did? It was kinda unbelieveable. I remember getting snow on October 12th in about 2000, but that was the earliest we've had snow in many a year around here.

Do you ever get down to Deadwood?

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  9:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deb- not today but I will probably give her one tomorrow since I have the day off and can spend the time to give her a bath and then longe her afterwards to help her dry off.

Yes, Billings got some snow in October but not much. It was mostly sleet and freezing rain and then clear days of 10-15 degree weather.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Where the heck is winter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page