Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 The meaning of resourcefulness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic The meaning of resourcefulness Next Topic
Page: of 3

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  7:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Diane, you sound like you're just as happy as can be. : ) It's so good to hear you were able to quit your stressful job. And it's funny, isn't it? How much more you spend on convenience items when you're not at home to make them yourself? Having a job can be expensive...especially if you're a mother of little ones who need daycare. And congratulations on being so close to debt free! That is fantastic!

Judy, both of the cars are working for the moment! : ) In fact, my good little car helped me narrowly escape a head on collision the other day. It was quite frightening and I was pretty shaken up but it was like something took over and got me out of the way. (Thank you God, thank you car, thank you universe!) I'm still researching what to do with the house situation at the end of them month and I'm considering dropping the price by $25k just to get rid of it, as long as I can coerce the banks to do such a short sale. It seems that would be the best option for me so far. Other options are bankruptcy, foreclosure, deed-in-lieu-of-foreclosure, etc. All of those involve a lot of complicated nonsense. Well...it all does really. But the short sale would resolve the matter more quickly and finally. I'm going to work on visualizing it working out perfectly. : ) How are you doing Judy? Enjoying the beautiful springtime?

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I am going to post a note in the church bulletin and ask my friend to ppost one in hers as well. It's a great idea! I think I could sell some of my jellies maybe and a little produce as well. I am going to see about bulk items at the sam's club we shop at. I have a membership there and it gets renewed every year. It's an ongoing gift from my mom. I'm not sure if I can make anything else to sell. I love doing beadwork and used to sell it as a teenager at the muzzleloader shoot and fleamarket every year. I bet I still could do that. Maybe I could sell some online as well. I told my hubby that my math worked out to where we could feed the chickens and get the eggs we need and break even on the feed at 12 chickens. We could sell eggs and have fryers to come out ahead with 18 he said he would start on the coop this weekend if the garden was all put out. I get chickens! Yea!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Yay! Chickens! I'm so happy for you (and jealous), Angela. I've been wanting some for a good long while now.

You know, there's a whole craft movement devoted to upcycling things. For example, you could take items you no longer need (bottle caps, old linens, etc) and make them into something crafty. I'm not exactly the craftiest girl in the world but I do buy old linens and mens shirts from our local goodwill when they have sales, and then make aprons from them. Looking on etsy can maybe provide some inspiration. Make treasure from trash. : )

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  6:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Cool Angela - you will love chickens!! And people are sooo into handmade right now, it's the perfect time to do it.
Good luck with the house situation Laura, and thank the lord for reliable vehicles!!
My husband is finally back to work and on the same page as me as far as getting the debts paid and using any extra money to do things for the house - this is a first so I am very excited. It will take a bit to get caught up but then nothing will stand in my way.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  09:55:38 AM  Show Profile
We are trying to scrounge up the fencing for the coop. It's a little slower going than the wood was. We had a friend offer us three chickens that his daughter had and doesn't want anymore. They are giving us the little pen they used for them to use until we get ours done. My DH told them it could be this winter and they said it didn't matter. Yea!!!! Chickens!!!!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Hooray Angela! Chickens are so fun, and addictive! Sounds like you are getting big girls? Or at least not day old chicks? You'll have eggs in no time. With 6 of my girls in lay right now I get 5-6 eggs a day. I think on the days that I don't have 6 in the hay or nest boxes that the one hen (not sure who she is yet) is laughing. "Haha! Find it today lady!" lol
They really do make good pets too. Spend enough time with em and they'll be hanging out with you in no time. My girls love to join us on the deck for a little snack and "chat".

Honestly, with the cost of feed alone, you won't be saving money on eggs. But you sure can't beat the quality! You'll never want to go back to store bought eggs again!
And a good place to go for any question related to chickens (or other barnyard fowl) is backyardchickens.com. Lots of very knowledgeable people when it comes to birds. They helped me as a newbie immensely.
Good Luck!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic The meaning of resourcefulness Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page