kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile
I just had my steer butchered a few weeks ago. I have just opened up my second pound of burger today. It's PINK. I guess it's because it's natural? He was just grass and hay fed. It's really good. I fixed a shoulder roast last Sunday in the crock pot. I started it Sat. evening. It was good but not very tender. I think it was just the cut. Anyway, was wondering if anyone else does grass fed and if the meat is pink. I guess because store bought burger has coloring added to make it look red. And mine doesn't. Any thoughts?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Pink is good...it means it hasn't had the chance to oxidize and change color.

I've found that I've had to learn how to cook grass fed beef...it'a a lot like cooking game because there isn't the marbling that comes from grain finishing beef. It does tend to be a little tougher and dryer, but I think the superior way they're raised and the flavor definately outways the challenges.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  2:56:24 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who got a half a beef but it wasn't grass fed. I'll have to look at her burger to see what color it is. I just made burgers with onions. It was good. Has a very mild taste. There is a trick to cooking this meat. Like deer. I have to add a little oil.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile
We bought a quarter of a steer that was grass fed. I really didn't pay attention to the color much. It isn't as tender as some meats I've had - but it is great for crock pots and burgers.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile
We just purchased 50 lbs of grass fed hamburger. It's quite red, but I think the butcher leaves quite a bit of blood in with it, too. Also, he told us he actually adds hunks of fat to the burger, otherwise it's almost too dry to fry it into patties. He was right.

We used to have our own beef (when we had the ranch) but now that we buy from outside sources, every time we get some it tastes different, depending on where the cattle are grazed. One batch we got last year actually tasted like sage! I know where THOSE cattle where raised...over by the Badlands.

I make my own homemade pork lard (I order leaf lard from a guy in Oregon to render my own) and sometimes I put just a tsp or so of that in the pan before I start to fry the burgers. Even a little butter has been used once in a while. Otherwise they can be pretty dry.

I don't think I'd be too concerned about the color unless the burger smells funny or something.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  5:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Could it be because he was aged for almost two weeks? And the blood was all drained out? I just talked to my friend and she said her beef is a deep red color and that cow was just a year old. Mine was 15 months.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  8:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My grass fed burger was not pale pink but not the deep red of store hamburger either. She was an old cow- like 10 years I think?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:42:47 AM  Show Profile
We have gone to grass fed beef. We have felt there is no difference in our grain fed and grass fed. Though the grain fed did have plenty of pasture and hay, not totally raised on grain. Our steaks are just as tender. Our butcher does try to leave the halves hang for two weeks, depending on how busy he is. We will be picking ours up this week now. I don't bother with arm and blade roasts, as they are tougher cuts. Our hamburger is a light red color. When cooked I never have to drain any fat off, but there is enough that I never add any to the pan. Our steers were about 19 months old. We have found differences in where you get your animals processed. Trial and error till you find one you like.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:48:12 AM  Show Profile
I am going to grill some T-bones and sirloin steaks today. LAst night I put them in baggies with olive oil, crushed garlic and rosemary to marinate. I hope they will be good. They are big and look real meaty. Not much fat at all.

Michele, you said you didn't notice a difference in grain or grass fed beef? In the taste? Or appearance? I would be interested to know what yours looks like when you get it back.

Does anyone have a good way to cook a chuck roast? And I hope it's more tender than the shoulder roast. Those might just get cut up into stew meat later. I was not impressed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, As a general rule, with tougher cuts of meat low and slow is the secret. Put in your oven at 300 or so and let it cook slowly for however long it takes till it is nice and tender. Keep in mind that tomato, wine, vinegar-anything acidic will tenderize your meat. Grass fed beef is not as tender as your very fatty, grain fed beef but oh so much better for you. I think your steaks should be grilled hot and fast and not well done or it might be very tough. I love grass fed beef. Great flavor and healthy for you. When you marinate those steaks, toss in a little bit of dry red wine if you don't object to alcohol. It will tenderize it and give great flavor.
Nancy in Ark.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  07:05:31 AM  Show Profile
I haven't found that grass fed was tougher than any other beef I have had. My eldest daughter lives on a huge cattle ranch--all their beef are naturally raised. Yummy good. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  07:27:58 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning kris and everyone, we have raised grass fed dexters for 10 years now. our neighbor was so impressed with our beef they bought a herd of dexters and a white park bull. health research shows that when you feed grain to a grazing animal it changes the chemical makeup of the fat to short chain fatty acids. short chain fats are bad for us to eat. the meat can be drier. i cook my chucks with water or stock, spices and as the other post said low and slow. crock pot is good. never let the liquid dry up in pot. it will fall of the bone. i ad veggies at the end. i always ad cocoa powder and a touch of sweetener to my stews and roast etc. it will add depth of flavor. i have been in restaurant for yrs. we use sugar choc. and butter to help flavors along.we had stew meat from our belted steer that we had to shoot. could not keep him in. he was delicous and tender. oh so young 1 year. sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  09:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for all the good info. The steaks are on the grill right now and they smell SOOOO good! I hope they are.

I have already had several people wanting to buy some of the beef but I am selfish. I would like to raise a few at a time and sell them. But it takes so long. It's an idea I have thought about for some time. I need to talk to my neighbor who owns all around me. He doesn't use his fields and they would be perfect for grass fed cattle.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  12:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Steaks were so good. But if they are not eaten right away they tend to get a little tough. So eat hot. They were really good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grass-Fed Beef Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page