Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't sure where to post this,but here I am.
My daughter, a freshman in HS, has been selected to go to Europe next year with a state wide choir here in Oregon. To help with the COST of the trip they encourage fund raising.
What are some fundraisers you have been apart of that turned out to be worth the time and effort other than the proverbial car wash and bake sales?
She takes really nice pictures and thought about taking them to the printers to make into cards. I like to find something unique that would "pay off". HELP!!! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile
My daughter's junior high just finished a Rada cutlery sale. The kids got 40% of the sales as their profit. It's not expensive so it sold very well.

We're a very small school. We're down to 36 kids from K-8. Parents work together to sell hotdogs, drinks, popcorn and other snacks during basketball season. Our community is very supportive and many people who don't have kids on the teams come to the games to watch.

We do a raffle that gives back money. Each ticket costs $10. Each weekday in April and two days in May a name is drawn. Prize amounts vary each day. Ticket buyers get a calendar with the amount for each day shown. $1000 is given out in prizes and the kids keep $2000. It's very popular.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  3:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Robin. Those are great ideas. There are 5 other girls who will be going so we will be able to combine efforts.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  4:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
To raise money for my soccer team we sold hanging baskets for mother's day. Kinda short notice for this year but if you have a while to raise the dough then maybe pointsetta plants at Christmas?

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  8:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julia,
Our Boy Scout troop organizes a big garage sale each spring. We take donated items, offering to pick up if needed. One sale day we have an area business that lets us use their parking lot. We put everything out, no prices, and let folks make an offer. We usually make around $1,500 for about 8 hours of work! Not bad! You might try something like that since you have several students going!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!

Edited by - abbasgurl on Mar 22 2006 8:25:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  06:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Ever here of Flamingo Flocking? http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/DIY/flamingo.htm

It sounds fun.

You take the plastic flamingo and plant them in someones front yard. You offer to remove the flamingo for a price, and place in someone elses yard. There are lots of variations to this. Here is a link to a site that I have used to search for ideas.

http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/index.html

Good Luck!

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  2:43:40 PM  Show Profile
We always do soup and dessert fundraisers at work they go over very well.
Everyone brings in crockpots of soup or desserts wrapped individual as a donation.
We ask the local Wendy's to donate the chili bowls with lids and sell the soup for $2 a bowl, the desserts go for a $1, hotdogs $1.
We also sell soup in gallons (Icecream pails) & whole pies and such for folks to take home to there family's for supper.

They go over very well, the last one raised almost $1000

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  9:50:23 PM  Show Profile
These are some great ideas! Thanks for the help. As we have homeschooled our girls, we have never had to do this before. You girls are great! Julia

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Julia,

Another variation of the garage sale, is to hold a tailgate sale. Rent out spots for $10-$15. It's pure profit. Hold it at church or school as long as there are no conflicting other activities. While individuals are selling their stuff your group can be selling consessions.

Another variation to the car wash is to do a FREE car wash. This takes a bit of pre-planning, but it is very successful. The basic jist of it is to acquire a calling list (for example, our youth group calls the entire congregation) and then make phone calls to everyone explaining what you are doing and then ask for a pledge per car washed. In our youth group's case, most people pledge anywhere from .01 - .10 per car. Then advertise, advertise, advertise and try to get a many cars to come through as you can. If you would like more specific details you can email me and I will gladly go over it more thoroughly with you. But that has always been a huge success. You will work hard for a full day, but it will pay off in the end.

Contact anyone you know who is a consultant or demonstrator for a direct sell company, they usually have some kind of a fundraiser program. (I know I do - every little bit helps.)

Or what about an in-school promotion, like a dunking booth or pie throwing at the choir director. If you are in a rural area, I've heard of things like Cow-patty bingo or sheep bingo. I'm not real sure about those details, except it has something to do with penning up an animal in a pen that has been lined like a bingo or tic-tac-toe card (I'm not sure which one) and people buy chances on which square they will "stategically place their droppings" in first. Someone else here might be more familiar with the details on this one.

Are there going to be any local fairs between now and then that they could have a booth or something where each of the girls would contribute something they made to be sold? Like your daughter's cards and then they could put out a donation cannister, too.

Here in St. Louis I see sports teams all the time during the summer at the major intersections with collection buckets. The kids are in their uniforms along with their parents or coaches. Whenever the light is red people will roll down their windows and drop in hands of change. They have to get permission from city officials somewhere, but our corners are full most of the summer with the various school groups collecting money. If they are not comfortable doing that on a the street, ask permission at Wal-Mart or a local grocery store to stand outside their front doors with a collection bucket.

And one last and final idea; sometimes the fastfood restaurants will let you help or collect receipts from their drive-thru customers and then donate 10-15% of the total receipts that you are able to collect. I know in our area Fazoli's is very big in helping out schools and youth groups. I think the kids help pass out the breadsticks and then they desinate one of their entrees as the "special" and then with every special that is bought a $1 is donated to the group. So again it would have to be advertised heavily, so everyone would go there and order the designated entree, but it's an easy way to earn money, too. And two other places that are very helpful are, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and Panera Bread Company (St. Louis Bread Co, here). They have punch cards that kids sell for $10. For the doughnuts, they buy 1 dozen, get one dozen free with each punch and there are 10 or 12 punches on the card. It's a pretty good deal. You'd have to check with your local establishments to see if they offer something similar.

I think that is all I can come up with for right now. I never thought all those fundraiser that I despised doing while our children were in grade school, high school and youth group would have such a lasting impact. Having 4 children all one right after another and on at least one sports team each has given me lots of experience that I'm glad to share. Alas, they are paying off once again! :o) Just glad I could remember them.(lol) I hope even one of these ideas pays off big for your daughter, what an honor for her to be selected to such an elite group. Congratulations to her!!

PS. I love blank note cards, I bet she could generate a few sales here on the forum, too! I know I'd take a pack. I did the same thing at Christmas for my family and they loved them. And seeing how we all love homemade items and love to support our fellow farmgirls, it's win-win all the way around.

Blessings on all your efforts and planning for successful fundraising.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks

Edited by - FarrarFarmgirl on Mar 24 2006 07:28:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow Lydia, great info. That really helps. I am glad we have a year to rraise the money and with all the ideas here we have a variety of opptions. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  9:26:55 PM  Show Profile
I just heard of another one over the weekend. A Bakeless Bake sale. I had a jewelry open house and someone who attended was telling me about this fundraiser that her church does it is very successful. Since you mentioned that you didn't want to do the run of the mill bake sale. You were the first person I thought of when she mentioned it.

She said the way it works is instead of baking all kinds of stuff, just have everyone drop in $5 that they would have spent on buying the ingredients or what they would have bought in goodies. It's healthier and doesn't require mounds of time from anyone or a heated kitchen. She said everyone loves it. It's advertised in the church bulletin and they've been doing it for so many years that people just come to expect it, but I'm sure it would be as much of a success your first time around, too.

Two summers ago our daughter went on a mission trip to Bolivia and she sat down and wrote a sponsorship letter to all of our relatives and friends and sent it out asking for personal support from each person in prayer and by being a sponsor. She got a very good response from people by just asking.

So there you have it, installment number two, for fundraiser ideas. :o) If I hear of others from others I'll continue to pass them along. I'm sure one or two may be applicable for your group of girls to use. Just have fun with them. Have a blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  8:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lynda, I appreciate it a lot! We are still waiting to get all the infomation from the place so we know how much must be raised. It will all be interesting how this all works out! Julia

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I love the flamingo flocking. I'm going to remember that one!

Another idea, Julia, we have a fundraising program here at the farm for just these kind of things! You may purchase MaryJanesFarm magazine at half price (however many you'd like) plus shipping costs and sell them for full price with the second half of proceeds going directly towards the girls going to Europe!

Just another option, as there are some great ones here!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Meg. I knew the farm had something, but couldn't remember what it was. I think the Flamigo Flocking sounds like a hoot, too. Who knows, depending on how much we need to raise, we may be doing a little of each!

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh the infamous fundraiser question! Here are a few:

* Sell "jean jewelry"...its a metal strand of glass beads in a certain design with a hook on the end and you put on the loop of your jeans. You can also use them for your purse, or for bracelets, etc.

* Yard sale...it's spring cleaning time and people want to get rid of their junk. Have a yard sale that either A) the choir gets all the profits or B)The choir gets 75% per item and the person donating gets 25%. They have "Little Lamb Closets" here with that going on except that the person donating gets 75% and the organization gets 25%. The seller has to have everything tagged, ordered by sizes, etc.

* Is there a college or a theatre for concerts nearby? Sports teams/theatre or arena personnel need someone to run concession stand. Work it out that part of the proceeds go towards the choir. That works for the 4-H kids with UK basketball games.

* The Flamingo Flocking is an absolute blast. People will drive around town to see who got flocked that morning. If you run it for a weekend or a week, it gets interesting! :)

* A school dance...kids love to dance...doesn't cost much (except for a DJ who may be willing to donate their time)

* Karaokee contest...thanks to American Idol, people LOVE to sing their heart out, whether they are good or not. Charge $5 a person with a prize of $50 or so.

* Band contest....many teenagers have a little garage band and want to show off their talent. Charge a small ($10) entry fee to enter and then charge say $5 to come. This has been a successful fundraiser from the 4-H Teen Council here.

* Golf scramble tournament. Now with the warm weather, people want to hit the greens. Get connected with a golf course and if you have any "local celebrities" like radio station personnel, etc, that would make it even more known to the public.

* Do you have a Max & Erma's restaurant nearby? They have a "fundraiser night" where they will donate proceeds of the sales for the night to your cause.

* If there are any major music places there (record stores, instrument sales, etc) ask them for a donation. For our state organization, we have a brochure with 3 levels of sponsorship of $100, $200, and $300 with "Cropportunities". Also, everyone needs handtools, so no donation is too small! :-)

* Voice lessons....they could give voice lessons to kids in the neighborhood that would like to have them.

* Recycling cans...get with the school and encourage recycling of pop cans. Take them to the recycling center for some extra $$. You're making money and doing something great for the community.

If I can think of anything else right off the bat, I"ll let ya'll know!

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  7:16:01 PM  Show Profile
JUlia,
The local elementary school does a great fundraiser. They rope off a large square area in the park, but you could probably use school grounds also, and draw a large grid pattern with chalk lines that they use for marking fields. They then have a local farmer bring in a large cow. They sell tickets for each grid and you wait until the cow goes poop and whosever square it lands on wins. The tickets are just numbered 50-50 tickets and the money prize comes from the sales. The charity gets half the take. It is great fun and there is food and beverages for sale as well as a bake sale while people are waiting for the cow to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fund raising help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page