Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Dripping Lye, anyone do this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dripping Lye, anyone do this? Next Topic  

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:17:40 AM  Show Profile
O.K. so, I seem to obsessed with finding just about the most primitive way to do everything. I've been interested in making my own soap for a while, but I didn't want to have to buy a lot of the components. I recently got my hands on the first FoxFire book, an in the soapmaking section it talks about how the women in Appalachia dripped their own lye from ashes to make soap.

Have any of you farmgirls done this? It looks like a fairly simple procedure, and I'm planning to try it. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever done this.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The only thing about handmade lye is that the concentration can be one level one time you make soap and another the next time. It can change because of how completely the wood burned, how much water was used, evaporation etc.

That is why lye soap got the reputation it has for being harsh. Back before testing strips for PH and such, the women just had to use what they had and make it work.

I think it would be fun to try but for "real" I think I will stick with the lye granuals. Maybe you could find out a way to dry out the lye water to make your own granuals?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile
I had kind of wondered about drying it out too, Alee. And I can completely see where you would have almost no control over the ph balance, that makes perfect sense. Hmmmmm............

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dripping Lye, anyone do this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page