Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Relocating to eastern TN or KY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Relocating to eastern TN or KY Next Topic  

LawGirlCol
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Colleen
Averill Park New York
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  05:35:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm relocating to eastern TN or KY and want to know where the nicest places to live are. I'm looking for affordability, beauty, and a small town where I can buy an inexpensive old house on the outskirts of town and raise veggies & chickens. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Colleen! Welcome to the Forum! I travel quite a bit with my job and spent quite a bit of time this year around the Jacksonville, TN. area. It was absolutely gorgeous!! Jacksonville itself is not a big city but sizeable. However the outlying areas were absolutely gorgeous. Sardis, TN. is beautiful. Tiny little town in the pine trees, about a 30-45 minute drive to Jacksonville. When I returned home from my business trip I told DH I wanted to move there and I would in a heart beat if the opportunity presented itself.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  09:33:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Colleen, I live in a small town called Englewood, it's about 1600 people, in East Tn. we are near the Cherokee national forest. about halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville. there are some lower priced houses here. you might look online at the area, try Etowah I know there are some houses there that are reasonable. I know some folks that moved up to northeast Tn. and area called Kingsport, and found a house that they loved for a very reasonable price.

good luck on your search. if I can help, just drop me an E-mail. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  10:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Colleen,
Hubby and I just bought 39+ acres and a very lovely small home about 30 miles NE of Bowling Green, the mailing address is Caneyville which is a cute little "whistle-stop" town. The pace in the area is slow, the people are friendly, porch sitting and waving at you as you drive by. Litchfield and Elizabethtown are nearby, too. This will be our retirement home. This former New Yorker would to have you in the area!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Shmemily
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Emily
Hillsboro Ohio
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  07:21:01 AM  Show Profile
I have no idea what the real estate prices are but when I lived in KY, my favorite place was Millersburg, which is near Paris. It's beautiful horse/cattle country and so much scenic beauty. I just love the rolling hills of north central KY. (Granted, all of KY is pretty much beautiful but this area always struck me).
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  08:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Central KY is BEAUTIFUL. You can also get property for a very fair price. Look around the lancaster, paris, and berea areas, along with Richmond.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LawGirlCol
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Colleen
Averill Park New York
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much!
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  05:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Keep us posted on your search. We only paid $100K for our home and 39+ acres...a steal! I've never seen a bad spot on either TN or KY but since hubby is a KY boy, that's where he wanted to return to when he retired. Either state will be fantastic!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

LawGirlCol
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Colleen
Averill Park New York
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  12:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much everyone for being so kind. I'm living in the Adirondack foothills right now and am waiting for my house to sell. I've heard the mountains of TN & KY are even more beautiful. I just want to get away from extreme taxes (over $5K a year for a 900 square foot house!), 6 month winters, and the uptight NY mindset.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  1:00:13 PM  Show Profile
I have visited the Jonesboro area, and it is beautiful and looks like it would be easy to live in.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Relocating to eastern TN or KY Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page