coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  09:00:15 AM  Show Profile
I am a quilter and I am looking for new farmgirl friends who quilt.
I belong to Macoupin Prairie Quilter's Guild and I teach classes at my house. This is only about the sixth year of doing this, but I am passionate about it. Due to "Old Arthur" in my hands, I don't do any hand quilting myself, but I love to piece, some hand applique, etc. I would enjoy hearing from others with this interest.

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  2:37:08 PM  Show Profile
I wish I knew someone close by. I thought it would be neat to have a quilting bee
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  5:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody!
I'm a farmgirl who quilts!!! I absolutely love to quilt! I started years ago when my youngest was a baby (he's now 21) and haven't stopped since. I am a very relaxed quilter, if I don't feel like hand quilting the top, I will tie it! I have made many, many quilts and am in the process of making quilts for my grandchildren. My only regret is that my daughters did not inherit my love for quilting, although there is hope for at least some of my grand daughters! I have always wanted to join a quilt guild, but just never did so.
Connie- Well, we're probably about 4-5 hours (maybe closer) to each other, maybe some day we could work that out! I have always wanted to have a quilting bee!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been quilting for about 3 years. I do my piecing and quilting on my janome sewing machine as I have small house for setting up handquilting...but I love quilting. My grandmother inspired me and none of the granddaughters before like it and I wanted to learn so took a class and now I am hooked.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  10:29:45 PM  Show Profile
I started a block of the month club here about a year ago and we are just about done with it, I think we will be done in february so maybe could do the next one...hehehehehehehe I love to sew and it has gotten me to actually do the squares and get the quilt top done because I have too to be the leader!!! hehehehehe But the next one is for some one else. but it has been fun!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi there gals, I'm a newbie in the world of quilting. I made small, easy baby quilts (for my dd who is now 14), then didn't pick it up again until my Ma (who was an avid quilter for years) died and left me her stash, machines, and about 9 different quilts/ tops/ and tons of pieced blocks to play with. I've finished 2 of her quilts and am now working on my first pieced quilt for my son. It is so much fun and I'm afraid could become very dangerous for me as I already have a small fabric addiction, lol.

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh Connie! A quilting bee would be sooooo much fun!! I have never made a quilt before but am planning to make one this winter (while my garden is resting). I've already picked out the pattern and everything. I'm going to making it out of old jeans and cotton scraps. I'm very excited about it. I'm planning to put the new quilt top over an old, cheap quilt I've had on my bed for the last 6 years to use as the "batting". It's still in decent shape, but I want something newer and heavier and handmade to put on the bed. Melody, I wish you lived closer! I'm sure I could use your help getting started!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
A quilting bee whould be a lot of fun! Wish we could. I love to quilt. I'm right now working on my very first quilt and so far love it!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  2:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replys!!!!! I'm looking forward to making friends with all of you and learning from eachother and swapping ideas!! Melody
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  3:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone interested in a friendship quilt exchange?
That's where, say if 8 of us are signed up, we would each make 8 of the same squares with our signature then send them out to each other to make a quilt?
Or, a round robin, where 8 squares would go around to each of us and we would each add something? I would love to do something like this.
I think we need to put it in the barter section if we are going to? I'm not positive though.
I have always wanted a friendship quilt! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile
A friendship quilt sounds wonderful, but can we wait until after Christmas, please? I will have the midwinter blues in January and that will be just the thing to perk me up! Great idea, Brenda.

Melody
Farmgirl #833
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  5:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh definitely after Christmas for me too! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  5:30:07 PM  Show Profile
I like to make denim quilts and scrap quilts. I,ve made each of my sons denim quilts and have most of the pieces cut out for one
for myself. I would like to try a friendship quilt and/or a round robin if someone would explain them really well.
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  12:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I would be interested in doing a friendship quilt also.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  08:47:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm a big time quilter. I've been quilting since 1973. I love applique and designing my own quilts. I made a quilt for the 100th Anniversary of the Minnesota State Parks. I love to quilt and love to hear about people who quilt. I'd love to hear from you. I just got back from a quilting retreat. 4 days of just quilting, oh and massage too. What a great weekend! Now it's back to work. Happy quilting girls.

Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  11:21:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melody,
I've been quilting for about 23 years now. Everyone calls me a "purist quilter". I drive everyone crazy because I like to draw up the pattern, cut it by hand, stitch it by hand, and quilt it by hand. This way does take a little longer to finish a quilt but everything comes together exactly the way I want it. I envy those who can sew perfect points together by machine - I just can't get it to work for me.

I also belong to a very small quilting guild of about eight ladies and we meet once a month on Saturday for most of the day. It's a lot of fun and I have learned so much from the ladies - by the way - they're not purist. LOL
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

sbaxter13
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

susan
lakeland fl
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  12:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Send sbaxter13 a Yahoo! Message
i live in lakeland florida and would love to start a quilting bee susan

farm girl susan
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  3:00:34 PM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful thing to find all of you quilters here a the "Farm."
It makes me happy. My sister recently joined the sisterhood and she is a quilter also, so I know you will hear from her too.
I know I will learn a lot from all of you.
Melody Tigo
Farmgirl #833
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  5:08:19 PM  Show Profile
A friendship block exchange would be fun. I don't like round robins. I always feel I might ruin someones that is passed to me to add something too it. I guess I am just not that confident in my quilting abilities yet. but after christmas for sure. love the idea. there is a mystery quilt starting on quiltville.com that looks real interesting. It is starting the day after thinksgiving. maybe we could all work on that one and then post pictures cause I am sure all would look so different even when making the same quilt.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  10:58:03 PM  Show Profile

WOW, Beverly I just checked out quiltville.com mystery quilt, it sounds like fun.
So I checked on a preveous mystery, the orange crush. I went through all the steps and
it seemed doable, I was really surprised at the finished quilt, I don't know if I would
try it if I knew what the end was, because it was more complex than I would usually try.
But broken down in small steps it seems easy! Thank you so much for sharing such a great
web site!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  08:06:42 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking of doing the mystery they have on that site but in different colors than the red, green and gold. I am going to have to look through my stash and figure it out...

Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  12:03:52 PM  Show Profile
OMG!! When you mentioned round robin quilts I thought of the one and only time we did that in our guild. It's a good idea but.....some people press, others don't, some people are accurate cutters, others aren't, etc....... ha ha ha I can't even believe something turned out!!!!! If you aren't too worried about the finished product, it's a great project. You just have to remember that not everyone is on the same skill level.
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  4:25:14 PM  Show Profile
i have been hooked on folk art needle turning applique since my sister gave me "Snowbound" by Red Wagon - Geri Kimmel, Jan Patek and Linda Brannock. I wish I lived closer I like to make stuff but I don't like quilt guilds.

Lila
misspittypat51@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  06:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Girls,
It's Rene (MaryJanesFarm Sisterhood Coordinator), I wanted to jump and suggest that you guys start a virtual chapter over at the HenHouse http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/ You can set one up by following a few easy steps:
1) Choose a name for the club
2) Determine the club leader
3) Club leader then needs to email Brian at the farm and ask him to start a henhouse for you brianogle@maryjanesfarm.org
4) Once the leader has been informed that the hehouse is open, each girl that wants to be a part of the henhouse needs to email Brian and request to be added. As a reminder,if you havent already, you would need to purchase your sisterhood membership in order to participate in the henhouse, Here is that info: http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl;jsessionid=0a0104451f436f5a7f10d5bc486c9d0aa001d478a94f.e3eSbNmQaheLe3iKb40?it=A&id=1659

then you are free to start clucking away about all things quilting. You can set projects, talk about favorite quilting books, etc. And it is all so easy to find each time.

I hope that you all have had the oppertunity to check out the farms new fabric line, it is really special. I am adding the link here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/categories/stitching-room.asp

Also, if you have a favorite fabric shop that may want to have access to our Cluck "teasers", please email me their contact information I think it may be fun for them to be able to add a little teaser, or invites to their customers to join the sisterhood. They could add the teaser/invite to their websites or newsletters. Of course you can email me at Rene@MaryJanesfarm.org

Thanks for listening, hope to see you all over at the henhouse. If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  07:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh, oh, oh! Thanks Rene, what a good idea!!!! Who else loves this idea?!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  07:37:59 AM  Show Profile
I love this idea! What if our name was QuiltChicks or something? It has to have that "Farmgirl" ring. ha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilting Friends Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page