CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  07:47:31 AM  Show Profile
I've read about taking turmeric (well, the active ingredient in the spice is curcumin, so really taking curcumin) for arthritis. Has anyone tried this? My mom has it bad in her hands and it runs in my family. I'm thinking about trying it myself. I doubt I could eat enough of the spice to get a benefit, so I'd probably need to take a supplement. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this.
Thanks!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  08:25:09 AM  Show Profile
I found a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of ice cold water takes away my aches and pains. Turmeric is an ingredient we use a lot, my husband is middle eastern, but it can give you gas. Good luck finding what works best for your mom.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  08:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I went back to college to study holistic nutrition & one of my text books is authored by an Ayurvedic Dr.
He says, " a highly isolated turmeric extract standardized only to curcumin would miss the recognized cancer-preventative and anti-inflammatory properties present in the whole plant."
Ayurveda recommends having your turmeric as the complete herb and not as an extract.

Turmeric stimulates glutathione S-transferase (GST), an enzyme that carries out detoxification. But isolated curcumin, in high doses, can actually supress GST. So, the extract can have the opposite effect of the whole herb.

The recommendation is to cook with it, saute it in ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil,then put it on your food, ie., over veggies & he recommends curry sauces. He also offers a recipe for an Immunity Mix.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

ridgebird
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

willow
MO
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  2:54:09 PM  Show Profile
As Dawn posted, apple cider vinegar, organic taken with honey and warm water is one of the best treatments for arthritis. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and a disc problem, had sever pain. After going thru steroid shots and several prescriptions, with no relive. In fact I was told the pain would probably get worse. (I did see several doctors.) So I cut out processed sugar and flours, started drinking my apple cider & honey drink, get sunshine everyday, and do yoga. I may have a flare up, but nothing like before. It is amazing what the body can do, to heal it's self. Hope you find the relief you need. Peace
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  3:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
What ridgebird says is especially significant...eliminate the processed sugars and flours.
Those are the primary triggers for inflammation.

The vinegar is an excellent choice.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Edited by - MasterGardener on Nov 03 2009 3:15:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  8:23:55 PM  Show Profile
you can go to a health food store and get gelatin capsules, then fill them with turmeric. take a capsule with each meal. i use it for inflammation and it works great. if you have a Middle Eastern store in your area, you should be able to find it in bulk.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  06:49:18 AM  Show Profile
This is off the topic of tumeric but for arthritis I have found the eliminating or at least reducing the amount of sugar in my diet makes a tremendous difference. Honey seems to be fine though.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  2:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it's true! Lowering or eliminating sugars and alot of bread (or carbs) is a big help! I have found small amounts of honey to be okay. Also, making sure your digestive tract is in good order. I have plain yogurt with a drizzle of honey in the morning (and will put ground flax seed on top) and it is excellent. I am drawn like mad to spicy foods and since turmeric is a spice, that yogurt might be a big help for you all who have tummy issues. lol. I ALWAYS feel good after eating indian food and I know it's because of the spices. I highly recommend it. I have really bad arthritis-like pain. And if you are able, it's very hard but doing at least stretching will help ..even though it hurts like you-know-what ... it can be beneficial...

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  8:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Carapacin in turmeric (and in cayenne) is what helps reduce inflammation. I took a tsp 3x a day while my back was bad, and for the past 6 mos I have given it to my older dog for her hip. It does work. A few days without it, and she can't go up the steps of our deck anymore. After a few weeks on it, she will run and play with our younger dog. Watching her tells me it builds in the system to reduce pain, it also takes about two days without to notice her behavior evidenice discomfort.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Turmeric for arthritis? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page