Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Greens Help Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  12:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I see HUGE packages of all types of different greens at the store and they are pretty inexpensive. How do I cook them??? I ate green out the other night and they were AWFUL... but I was thinking I could fry up a little bacon or ham with them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE greens but just not sure how to cook them at home. I can only do spinach and that gets boring after awhile. Suggestions???

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  12:43:50 PM  Show Profile
I love them and cook them all the time at home' plus grow them most of the fall. You have to pick a lot to get a good "mess". First I tear them into small bite sized pieces and put them in a pot on the stove, or a crock pot. Fill with a good ammt. of water, but not too much. Add about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. Salt, Pepper, a little minced garlic, and if you like, the bacon and bacon fat too. Then make sure they cook a good while; I do all day on low in my crock pot; or slowly boil for a good 20 minutes or so on the stove and then simmer for a hour or so.
Greens are not everyone's cup of tea; but try a few methods till you figure out your favorite way. Yummy!!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  12:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
I love greens too! Even tho' cooking them the way my grandmother did with bacon and bacon fat is really good, I TRY to stay away from the saturated fats these days. I've been using half each water and low sodium chicken broth, adding some vinegar and a little garlic salt on my plate. Sometimes I saute some onions to put in with them, or just use chopped onions with a bit of parmesan cheese on top.

At home on the banks of the beautiful Suwannee River in North Florida
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile
OK here is what I love to do. Take some garlic, olive oil, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Sautee. Add some walnuts and cook for a few minutes longer. Add the greens. A lot of them as they will cook down. In the meantime, cook a pot of linguine.
Add the greens to the linguine, along with some of the cooking water from the pasta, a little more olive oil, & top with grated parm. The rosemary really does it for this dish.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Greens Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page