Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wintering Chickens Next Topic  

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  5:20:27 PM  Show Profile
We live in VT, where the temps can sometimes dip to 10-20 below (farenheit, VERY occasionally. I'm wondering about the use of heat lamps by other chicken owners who live in a similar clime. Our coop is insulated w/ thin blue foam board and plexiglass windows covered in extra plastic for the winter. Last winter we turned on the heat lamp only if it got to below about 0-10 and left the side door into the run open if it was at least 15 degrees. Also, I'm wondering how low to the litter (shavings) we can put the lamp without risk of fire. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from such a talented and educated bunch of women! :)

Savor Happy Accidents...

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  7:41:40 PM  Show Profile
hi there i am sherrye, i live in the high mountains of the cascades in oregon. we get to -15 at times. my coop is also insulated. i have been growing poultry for anout 16 years. depending on the breed most chickens are very hardy. i do not use heat lamps. especially when there sre no draughs or water present. chickens put out about 4 btu's of heat an hour. they keep each other warm. i know many disagree with me on this, but i have never had a frozen bird or a bird die from cold. the combs can freeze, so i buy birds with small combs and cold hardy and with a good food conversion ratio such as sexlinks.hope this helps sherrye at learn as we go silk purse farm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You could try doing just a regular 40 watt bulb instead of a heat lamp. That would be less of a fire danger but would provide a bit of extra warmth.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  06:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls! Sherry, I'm encouraged by your statistics, esp. in an area as cold as that. We got birds that were supposed to be weather hardy but the Salmon Favorelles don't seem to tolerate extreme temps quite as well as the Brahmas and we DID get a bit of black on the combs last winter, even though we plastered them w/ Vasoline, which I'm wondering now whether or not was a good idea. I may try the 40-wt bulb, Alee; I'm thinking of getting a remote thermometer and then turning on the bulb only if the inside temp. reaches extreme numbers. Last year we let them go outside as long as it was over 15 degrees out, which was a good part of the winter. I love that I can always find info on this site - thanks again!

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Faith- that sounds like a good idea! And the extra light might help keep them laying more frequently in the winter time.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  09:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
We had a really cold night here a few weeks ago and I tried a red heat lamp. My hens wouldn't go to sleep! I had to turn the light out and then 5 minutes later they were all asleep. I considering changing to a blkue light.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  11:31:33 AM  Show Profile
I didn't even know they MADE blue lights! Sounds good, 'cause I feel guilty about exposing them to light constantly, even if it IS to provide heat! I wish someone would made a heat lamp that didn't provide any light...

Back to the basics...four chickens, two dogs, one boy and a DH
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  03:45:22 AM  Show Profile
I wonder how they woud react to black light

Do white chickens look purple?

After a few days worth of cold and wet around here in the Carolinas, I'll be stocking up on a few bales of shavings for the winter. Partly to warm chicken toodies, but partly to keep eggs cleaner too.

I hear it's going to be a rough winter

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile
my son in idaho taught me also that if you use whey as part of your water it will freeze at a lower tempature than water. i am going to try this for my pigs as well. i am going to learn the art of cheese making for a goal this winter. so whey will be available. those with fresh cows can use this method and less electric for stock tank heaters.in my hen house i have 115 hens. they have one 60 watt bulb on a timer to get the girls up early. they need at least 16 hours of lihjt in my opinion to lay regularly. i use a timer and adjust it weekly to our shorter days. i have very happy hens. we do buy fat from the butcher from clean grass fed beef and pork fat for the hens in winter. it warms them up and most of the time the fat is from our own hogs and beef. chickens love it. we also feed redworms for protein that we grow on chicken poop and coffee frounds. our worm bins are old shower stalls reinvented. happy days from learn as we go silk purse farm sherrye
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile
I live in Canada aka the great white north. I have white and brown leghorns. I have had no problems overwhintering them. their combs sometimes get a wee bit frost bitten, but I do use the heat lamp when I know it will be -15 or more below. I too have heard that chickens produce quite a bit of heat so that is helpful for them

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, I'll jump in here. Most days my chickens here in Nebraska have their escape door open, but the window covered, and a deep litter of dried leafes. Love those leafs! They stay pretty fluffy but the girls sure do like to scratch in them. and over winter they just dust down, add more on top, and in the spring, no smell, and talk about easy to clean!!!!
In Minnesota, right on the boundry waters, we lived for 23 years. I had chickens up there, and when I could keep them in a building, didn't even have to be insulated, but wind tight. No lights, and warm water once a day, all the feed they wanted, and meat and fat scraps from butchering, etc. Temps often got to -50f, and stayed below -20f for a month at a time. We lost a few toes, and some combs, but the ladies did surprisingly well! Deep litter is a must in bitter cold, and fluffy deep litter the best. Also good roosts, and the ladies learn to fluff and tuck or else. They would also sleep in the nest boxes, as I kept them bedded.
But of all the chicken bedding I've ever used, I love the dried leaves! Didn't have those up north (only pine needles) so this is new for me last winter. And you can't beat the cost of leaf bedding! Enjoying those good brown eggs, Lorna Jean

we create our own economy
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  7:28:38 PM  Show Profile
i think the dry leaves are a great idea. and for the garden poop and leaves would be perfect. thanks sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  07:22:49 AM  Show Profile
How deep do you like the bedding in winter? Do leaves mix ok with shavings and straw?
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  2:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
They mix quite well with other beddings, actually the chickens do a great job mixing them up and shredding what they can.

Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  2:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Forgot to say, I like about a foot deep to start, and it takes quite a while for them to shred and pack that down! They will kick them into the waterer though, so that needs to be cleaned out daily. lol, they do a great scratch, and boogy in their new bedding! High kickers every one of them! Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile
oopps thats not quite what I thought was going to happen. Anyway Thanks knit1tat2 for the great tip!!! My DH ususally takes care of the "girls" but lately I have had the "chicken chores" Boy are you right about the boogy and high kickers in new bedding!!!! Gives new meaning to the chicken dance huh!!! We usually clean there water out twice a day anyway.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wintering Chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page