Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Holiday Pate-Mousse of chicken livers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Holiday Pate-Mousse of chicken livers Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  9:29:24 PM  Show Profile
I love this stuff on whole grain crackers or apple slices...This is an autumn and winter favourite here in my home. This isn't my recipe, but very close. I cook by feel and seldom write my recipes down, so here is a close likeness YUM!...I like to add fresh cracked pepper to mine, but experiment with the seasonings to taste

Handmade Chicken Liver Mousse

Ingredients

1 lb. Chicken livers, cleaned and dried

1/2 lb Butter

1 Tablespoon fresh sage, minced(or 1 tsp.dried)

1/4 cup Cognac

1/2 large onion or 1 small, diced

1 small tart apple, peeled and diced

2/3 cup heavy cream

Sea Salt

Instructions
Heat 4 oz. of the butter in a sauté pan, add chicken livers and sage and cook until the livers change color and are heated through—do not overcook. Add cognac and flame, shaking pan until the flames die down. Remove from the pan and put in a bowl to cool.
Add another 4 oz. of butter to the pan and very gently sauté onion and apple until very tender—again do not brown. Add to chicken livers and cool.
Put the liver, onion and apple mixture in a food processor with the cream and process until very smooth. Taste and add sea salt as necessary. Pack the mixture into a serving bowl or bowls, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. (I lightly browned some finely chopped almonds in butter to top. I will leave that as an option to you.) It should be allowed to mellow for a day and will keep for a week or so. Serve the mousse with crackers or such.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile
This sounds absolutely delicious! I'll be making this for sure for our open house in December. But I'll have to try it out before then, I think. Thanks for posting!
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  03:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Annika for sharing this!
I love chicken livers anyway, so am definitely going to try this soon, it sounds soo good!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Holiday Pate-Mousse of chicken livers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page