kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I guess you have tried looking up www.buylocal.com? And are there farmer's markets close by? I guess we are lucky to live near Chattanooga. There are so many good quality organic farms here. They also process alot of their meats right on the farm. Maybe you could place an ad on Craigs List. Or www.localharvest.com would have places near you, too. Type in what you are looking for near you and you will get a map of places that have that particular product. Also just word of mouth is sometimes the best way to find good stuff. Just ask. Someone has to know someone who has what you want. It may take awhile, so don't give up. Also ask your meat guy where you shop where the meat comes from. Maybe you could buy direct from them if they practice humane butchering. Also see if there are any mobile butchers and contact them to see if they know people they butcher for that want to sell some meat. I just googled mobile butchers.

I hope this helps. How far are you from Chattanooga? We have a great farm here called Sequatchie Valley Farm. They have practicallly everything you'd want. You could look them up on-line and they might know places near you. They have lamb right now.

Good luck. And if I can thing of more places to look, I'll let ya know. But really, just asking other people you know is the best way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  8:47:48 PM  Show Profile
Those all sound like good ideas to me Kristin. We live in a very rural area but I know that the mobile butcher has made some good recommendations for us. This last time it was where to get our meat cut. We used a new shop and they are fantastic. We recommend them to everyone we know. I also think that farmer's markets are good places to check for meat. I believe in my French chef friend Pierre's way of doing things. Get to know as many farmers as you can. He only buys directly from farmers. That way he knows exactly what he's getting. At least I think that's what he said......I have the hardest time understanding him. I just talked to him today when I sold him 10 dozen eggs. Well, actually he talked and I tried to figure out what he was saying. It was something about leeks and teaching me to make stock the French way..........................

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  04:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Marcia, that's another great way to find meat. From a good restaraunt. Because alot of them now are buying locally and only using fresh meat. Good idea. She could just ask the chef or owner where they get their meat and they might be willing to share. And your little French chef sounds very interesting! You should take a few lessons from him! Then you can teach us. I was reading on another post about the Weston A. Price Foundation and making beef stock from bones. When I had my steer butchered I got all the bones. I was going to give them to my dogs but now I think I will make beef stock and can it. I haven't had beef in years (except a little from a farm near here that has grass-fed cows) so this is all new to me. I have almost forgotten how to make a roast. It will all come back to me, I'm sure.

But I do hope Jonni will see this and check out all these great places. And that she gets a good contact soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I read the info about the WAPF right after I posted about Pierre and making stock. I'll try to take good notes when we make the stock. I hope his wife is there to translate or it could be a little garbled. Actually, I learn something everytime I talk to him. We got bones for our dog too this time when we butchered. I might need to save some of them for the beef stock.

I will be checking more into the WAPF site and information. I think my dietitian daughter would be interested in all of that too.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile
We raise pastured poultry on our farm and process it ourselves and sell it locally. In fact, we are processing 50 birds tomorrow. We use the kosher kill method and they are processed as humanely as possible.

I know there are quite a lot of farmers who do the same thing. www.localharvest.com was a great suggestion. But also, check out farmer's markets in nearby towns, if you know they don't sell meat at your local farmer's market.

Sometimes farmers are still not up on the online world, so they may not be listed on these websites, so ask around.

The great thing about buying local meat is knowing your farmer. We have had many people come watch us process birds, and all are impressed.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Humane processing for meat Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page