Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Value over quantity... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  2:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Beth got me excited about the idea of this.

I will lay it out---we are what is "classified" as poor in this country. Whatever number you want to label with that but we qualify yet I don't feel poor. What amazes me is people think we live a high end life. I like to say we are chic on a college budget.

What has worked is quality or quantity, waiting to satisfy that urge to buy, buy, buy, figuring out what our TRUE needs are and stick to a simple living mantra that fits our family best.

So many people around me are complaining that they can't afford to live and yes, there are people who have extenuating circumstances (lay off, illness, divorce, etc) that can sometime seem to take a bite in the wallet. But, I see many ways people can still have a great quality of life, if they only delay that urge to just buy, buy, buy and when they do, buy quality. This one thing along can reduce clutter, keep more money in your account and increase your happiness.

Yes, I have good quality clothes, try to eat the best food our money can afford and I like my personal products. I think this way of living comes from making $7 an hour and TOTALLY supporting myself when I was younger. I didn't have a new car- used but dependable, I bought $150 suits, as I saved and couponed for them and have a very select closet of quality clothing, I chose simple but healthy foods, stockpiling things like chicken breasts, fresh vegetables and yummy cheeses instead of buying pre-packaged anything, especially for lunch. Nothing like a good chunk of artisian bread, a nice slice of provolone, a tomato, a few onions and olive pest w/olive oil to fill you up. I bought quality furniture, opting for a simple decore without clutter. I keep to a very specific look and plan.

So I guess my point is it can be done and for not a lot of money. It is about priorities. I rather spend $100 on 2 nice pieces of clothing than a cart load from the box stores anyday. Anyone's else thoughts on this???

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Value over quantity... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page