milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile
My sweet neighbor came over and gave me a gallon of persimmons.. the problem is that they are not ripe... I know they say that persimmons need a freeze to sweeten up. What can I do to get these to sweeten up. I have a freezer jam recipe I would like to use, it has some sugar in it but I am not sure that it will cover up the alumish feeling you get...I hate to waste them. got any ideas??

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I knew you must be in Missouri!!! I rarely hear of anyone else actually using persimmons for anything. LOL!!!

Sadly, I have no idea how to remedy your problem. I'm thinking if they were picked before the frost you may not be able to do anything with them to make them sweeter. HOpefully this is not the case.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Heather~ I have read that you can put them in a paper bag with an apple to get them to ripen, just like you can some other fruits. They may not be *as* sweet as if they were ripened on the tree, but it would be worth a shot. And, I don't think there is enough sugar to ever cover up that pucker from an unripe persimmon !!
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  08:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Heather~
Would you be so kind to share your freezer jam recipe.

We have a tree out back that has loads of persimmons on. I remember when I was little my mom use to make bread with them.
Other people I know have made made wine. But never have heard of jam.

Remember my dad saying that you need to have a good freeze before they are ready.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic persimmons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page