Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 hyplogycemic (completely sugar free) food
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic hyplogycemic (completely sugar free) food Next Topic  

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  11:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals!

I'm on day two of my hyplogycemic diet. Which means that I have cut out all sugar and caffeine and refined sugars (white flour, white flour pasta, rice, ect.) and I can eat many veggies and nuts as I want and I am a little limited on meat and dairy and very limited on fruit.

So my question is, do any of you have any good sugar free recipes? I am realizing that my filler in meals like soups and casseroles will probably have to be veggies or long grain rice. Long grain rice gets very expensive if you eat a ton of it though. So I'm going to become a master substituter, but while I'm figuering all of that out, do any of you have any good recipes?

I have learned that I can substitute whole wheat pastry flour for all-purpose flour. I also have some buckwheat which I think I can use. I ate some buckwheat crackers I made yesterday and they did not affect me like all-purpose flour would have, so I am assuming it works.

Let the sharing begin!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile
I'll put the first recipe because I just found it yesterday. It made buckwheat crackers:

1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1.5 cups buck wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup water

stir flours with salt then stir in water and oil. Mix and knead till smooth. Should be slightly tacky when you finish kneading. Split dough into 12 balls, set on cookie sheet, cover with kitchen towel and let sit for 30-60 minutes. In the mean time, pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. After the 30-60 minute wait, roll out each ball onto very well floured bread board. Roll out into long strip, as thin as you can get it, and cut into cracker shapes with pizza cutter or cookie cutter or whatever you want! Put crackers onto a cookie sheet and into the oven. Should begin to see reddish brown on the edges of the crackers. Take them out and let cool for at least an hour so they dry out enough to 'crack'. Each rolled out ball (there are 12) made me about 7-8 crackers, so we got a ton. And the buck wheat makes for an interesting flavor! So simple and so impressive to make our own crackers!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I have very good blood sugar control, but I follow the diabetic exchanges, so I can have anything. So my recipes aren't what you are looking for. I'm a diabetic and my A1C is 4.9 (that's perfect really).

But, if you are looking for whole grains/starches to fill our a recipe, that isn't as expensive as long grain rice, her's a few ideas-

Bulgar, TVP-Textured Vegetable Protein-comes in bulk very cheap!, brown rice, beans (any beans!). And more, but those are cheap!

As for cutting out fruit, I'm a little leery of a fruitless diet, as they have so much fiber and good vitamins for you, the carbs in them are good carbs. Have never raised my blood sugar once, and I'm a type one diabetic. I just hmmm very leery with diets that cut out fruit. As I have seen fruit first hand be such a good thing for my blood glucose levels.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:21:43 PM  Show Profile
it doesn't cut out fruit, it's just strict that you only eat one to two servings. because right now I'm on day two of my diet and I could easily eat a few dozen cans of pineapples and then this whole thing would be blown out of the water! I've been eating an apple and half a banana everyday so far, even though those are a little more on the sugary side than others, but they are cheap and easy and good. so whatever :)

I had only occasionally heard of bulgar and never heard of TVP, so thanks! I'm going to look them up right now. And I made my first Mary Jane Bake Over with whole wheat flour and oh it was so good.

I must say being self restrained and not just seriously dumping straight granulated sugar into my mouth, is getting real hard! I can do this though! And my DH is doing it with me, so sweet :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
This is very good for me to know, thank you. I'll be watching and I'd like to hear more from you on this HeatherAnn... Thanks!

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  12:24:47 AM  Show Profile
Our Whole Foods has TVP in bulk.
Also, I use soy flour for somethings. I do not know if you can try it at this stage but one of my treats is cutting up turnips in thin slices and dipping them in yogurt then coat with soy flour and deep fry in whatever oil you can use. I urge you to try this even if you do not think you like turnips. It is just (sort of) like fried potatoes.

Later when you get to the point you can have some potatoes and get to craving mashed potatoes make some by using 1 potato to 2 turnips and make it just like it was your mashed potato recipe.

I do hope you are not using aspartame or splenda for sweetners in your effort to cut down on sugar. Xylitol is a good natural sweetner and stevia is too. I have been hypoglycemic for years and I will use cane sugar in small amounts. It is not refined and it absorbs better, slower. For that sweet tooth my mom used to let me have carob covered almonds but in the past few years science has discovered how healthy dark chocolate is for us so you could have dark chocolate covered almonds.
I do not eat much sweets anymore now. Never keep it in the house. Will not use anything with high fructose corn syrup ( and that is challenging) When I want something I go out to get it. I am not in the beginning section of the diet so I can have and occasional sweet potato and I have learned to use pumpkin in a certian amount of things. I will try to remember my best treats and let you know.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  05:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks LaVonna!

I am not using any sweetners right now. It's challenging, but my book said and I quote, "get used to the way food tastes" and that idea is helping me a lot.

Your fried turnips sound amazing. I like turnips, although I've only had them a few times. Thanks for the idea! I'm writing it down and putting it in my new sugar-free recipes folder :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  8:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Try TVP chili, it's GREAT! I personally like the small crumbled texture the best, as it is most like meat texture in my opinion.

For pumpkin, it's wonderful! You can make anything with it! lol Even brownies. Any time a old recipe calls for oil or eggs, use the same amount of canned pumpkin as it calls for. (IE 1/2 cup of oil, use a half cup of pumpkin! 1 egg=1/4 cup of pumpkin!) It's great! We love it.

I also like pumpkin in my oatmeal in the morning with rum extract, and cinnamon, and raisins, and nuts! hahaha

Pumpkin in pancakes is also great!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  08:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Heather - is the TVP Chili something you make from scratch, or buy ready made? I would love the recipe if you would share. Thank you.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic hyplogycemic (completely sugar free) food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page