Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Simple living and clutter..some more!!! : )
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Simple living and clutter..some more!!! : ) Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  11:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Picking your battles is half the winning combination in reaching your simple and decluttered life. Examples of my own: I used to collect beanie babies, cat "stuff"- pictures, figurines, blankets, pillows...you get the idea, I had a collection of this and that's,100's of books and crafting items, amounting to a lot of dusting, organizing and maintaining. It's not that I didn't enjoy the whole process of the hunt and collecting and the admiring and watching my collection's grow, it was just one day, I had had enough. Move something 5-6 times in a short span of time and I think anyone would get tired. I had enough stuff to fill up 18 totes- THE BIG ONES!!!

I sold quite a bit of it at the first yard sale we had and happily bought my steam cleaner with the money and had a nice dinner out. If you can't bring yourself to part with your items yet, put them in a bin, label them and put them in an out of the place spot. IF in 6 months, you haven't looked or thought about them, it really could be time to part with them. I have done this several times and 99.99% of the time it has worked.

Now--my own battle I choose to wage is the one against clothing. I admit- I love clothes, shoes, accessories, jewelry---you name it but it IS a battle I like and enjoy. So I have devised ways to live with it. I clean sweep my clothes every six months but am finding, after having done this for several years and shopping with a more discerning eye to quality over quantity, the give-away pile is getting smaller. I also keep the rule that everything must be put away neatly. IF it gets out of control, I need to re-assess. I will probably always have a huge closet of clothing and this is my own obsession. But I can move towards living in simple and decluttered in other ways to be able to enjoy it.

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I like your thought on this matter Heather. I am inspired. Now to pick my battles. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:08:41 AM  Show Profile
Heather, great idea! I've been battling with reducing everything in my little house for about 5 years now and each year even though I donate car-loads full it seems this little house is still bulging at the seams. What I'm trying hard to part with this year is holiday decorations. For 2010 ???...haven't decided yet what the focus will be.

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Molly--as far as Christmas decore, I do have a lot for my tree and I LOVE lots of lights. With Charlie only being 3, it is another area I compromise on.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh Heather, I'm the same way when it comes to Christmas! I love lots of lights too =)
Besides adoring lots of clothes, my second biggest problem area is the small library worth of books that I have stacked everywhere. BUT, I'm going to try to go through even my beloved piles of books and donate as many as I can to the library, to the rest homes and the charity thrift shops. I REALLY have a lot of books!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Annika---I think I counted once before and we had over 1000 books. I know own just my Bible, my college "Bible" : ), and some career journal type magazines. Scott has a few college books and we have his father's Hymnal. I figure I can always find what I need at the library. It really was a relief to sell off 3 huge bookshelves and not having to move 10 boxes of HEAVY books. It was weird at first, not having them, but it's been over 2 years and I don't miss them. I did start by editing down to just 20 LOVE LOVE LOVE books. Then I went further. Good luck!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Simple living and clutter..some more!!! : ) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page