Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My simple living story... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  07:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ah...I guess this started in back when I was in my teens... I remember a particular time where I think most girls go through that transition...not quite a little girl anymore but not "old" enough to be a woman. I wanted a more grown up bedroom and the tons of stuff animals, toys, younger girl books, clothes, etc....were not me anymore. I waited until my parents went to my Grandparents for 2 weeks during the summer and donated a large amout of my things to a local animal shelter. I had volunteered there and they were gearing up for their annual yard sale. My mom was horrified when she came home but I was so happy!!!

When I moved out on my own, I had a nice little loft space...and I mean little---less than 400 sq. feet!!! It had a galley kitchen, a bathroom and then the rest of the living space with one great huge window overlooking a downtown street. I loved it!! I bought a sleeper sofa, one comfy chair, a round table with 4 chairs and lots of candles and picture frames. I had just what I needed. I had a HUGE old dresser than had a hanging side and then 6 large drawers. That held most of my clothes, with the rest carefully placed in the 1 huge closet in the living space. My unmentionables were kept in the small closet space in the bathroom. I used baskets and 2 storage ottamans for my bedding and extra few things I had. I loved, loved, loved living like that!!!

Then I joined the Navy...went even further with simple living...probably the farthest I ever went. After bootcamp and school, I was stationed in Lemoore, Ca. I did live in the barracks but my space was confined to a wall locker and a single bed that had some storage underneath it. There were 3 of us to a room, a small dorm size frig and a bathroom that barely fit one person but had to accomodate 3 women and ALL their stuff. I really learned to live simply but a good life.

Then I transferred to an aircraft carrier, where you life is smooshed into a "coffin" locker---roughly 6 square feet of space and a small wall locker. Yeppers...you learn to live real simple and I loved it..no attachment, no things to clean or worry about...it was awesome.

Then I got married and moved in with Scott...I was SHOCKED when I moved into our future duplex. Now, you must understand, when he divorced and went back to get Chloe, our dog, he grabbed what he could of his. I have never seen such a disarray of stuff in my life. I was faced with 14 bins of stuff..coverd in sand, dirt, bugs..icky!! I fortunately came of deployment 3 weeks before him and started organizing, cleaning and sorting. We only had 2 small bedrooms and one was packed from floor to ceiling and I hadn't even moved in. I spent 3 weeks in organizing bliss!!! I put homey touches on it, moved in and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. After all was said an done, I threw out 10 of the 14 bins (they were in BAD shape) and had all of his life tucked away and organized. 4 truckloads...yes truckloads...went to donation, dump or otherwise.

Having moved 8 times since we married, I can tell you simple living has made my life so much easier. I can unpack a complete house in 2 good days of work. I spend more time cleaning than unpacking. We would eventually like to get out own home so we can really set to getting super organized and not have to live on someone else's terms. As we speak, I have this hunch we are moving back to TX sooner than later. I am off to see what I can pack up and what can be donated.

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:37:31 PM  Show Profile
you sound like me. I just moved recently. It took 3 women (mom, sis and me) 2 hours to move everything we could carry from one house to the next. Then the men came over and moved the couch, bed and appliances in under an hour.

the next day I unpacked, the day after I decorated. DONE. Simply living at its finest. And I moved into a smaller house.

i did sort through clothes and donate 2 bags. And threw away an extra garbage can of stuff. I thought I did pretty well. Love it. No Clutter is my motto

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile
You are both so inspiring to read. I can't wait to be clutter free!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My simple living story... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page