Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What is your ideal creative workshop like?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What is your ideal creative workshop like? Next Topic
Page: of 2

RIgardengirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Monique
Woonsocket RI
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:20:12 PM  Show Profile
My dream space would be away from the house. A small shed-type place with four windows, a split door, a ceiling fan, lots of lights, places to hang, and lots of counters. A rocking chair for when I'm doing my knitting or needle work would be grand. Maybe even a fireplace or woodstove to stay warm in the winter. I think I have the perfect spot on a small plot across the road that my parents still own......

The way of cultivation is not easy.
He who plants a garden plants happiness.
- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  05:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I have a sewing room on the third floor of the cabin and a captains ladder from the bathroom leads up to it. I also have a lot of plants there. For the heavy stuff, table saw, sliding miter saw, router etc, I have a unheated garage. It gets a bit nippy in the winter and I have to use a space heater. Nothing wants to work at ten below including me.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7529 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7529 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  08:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Cherime -

What exactly is a Captain's Ladder? Sounds like something I may need to get up into the attic crawl space in my "new" 94-YO country house. But - climbing up the ladder with a sewing machine or an armload of fabric can't be easy. LOL!

RIgardengirl -

Your ideal place sounds a lot like what I have in mind for my guest house that I'm making into my craft studio. It is separate from the house, but has its own bathroom and a huge closet. It also has built-in cupboards and shelving at the back. I was thinking of putting in a ceiling fan. It has a window A/C-heater unit.

Linda O
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  05:58:16 AM  Show Profile
It is one steep staircase made with 2X6 instead of regular broad 2x12 treads. Yep, it is hard to get stuff up there. I have a small balcony and a small pully, rope and a jam cleat. I hoist really heavy stuff up with that. Otherwise its up the stairs.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  06:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Thinking about it, the most important item I need in any creative space is heat. I tend to keep the thermostat down to about 60 in the winter. Up there on the third floor I have huge south facing windows during the day its great but since there are no vents up there it can be a bit chilly in the dark.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I have winter plans to turn my attic into a creative room.Ok, it may not be THIS winter, but hey a girl can dream can't she?. I have drawn it out to scale and made areas for my computer, sewing , misc crafting and a custom cutting table that is the right height ! No more back pain ! I will finally have room for my quilting machine ! It will have lots of outlets and lighting .
I too have drooled over the "Where Women Create" magazines.I have never purchased one, but I have sure spent time thumbing them in the grocery
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  11:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Susan: I hope your plan will be happening soon. You deserve that space. Happy creating. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile
My workshop would be a small bi-level barn-like building. On the first floor I'd have a front porch with a rocking chair and a couple windows with flower boxes. The door would open out and be like an old barn door, I'd put hooks on it and hang my hand-dyed handspun yarns. Inside would be my floor loom, baskets of fiber, a cook source for dyeing and my spinning wheel as well. A small fireplace with a basket of knitting and another rocking chair. Boxes set on their sides, full of dyed and natural fiber. A desk for writing and drawing. Upstairs would be wide windows and an easel with my latest oil color. Storage for many fleeces and lots of natural light.

*sigh* one of these days!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile
It needs to have space and light...my current creative space is cluttered and tucked into a dark corner...time for a change! =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  7:43:31 PM  Show Profile
If I had an unlimited budget my ideal creative workshop would be full of windows and I would love to have one side with garage doors-the kind that are glass to let the light in and open up on warm breezy days.
Inside I'd like an open space so I have room to do whatever creative stuff needs doing. Heated concrete floor with drains-easy clean up. Wash up area with a deep sink. Plenty of storage under these windows. Work tables on wheels-to move where the lights best. Don't know anything about pottry but love to learn-so a kiln to fire up.
I'd like an area that's a step up from my work space. Enough room for a wood stove and a snack bar. Would like cork flooring-something different to try but never had an excuse for new flooring. Love those hanging swings and some seating to bring friends to come relax and create.
Lastly good views to look out all those windows.
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile
My ideal creative work space would be a free standing building in the woods. It would have plenty of storage space. Great lighting. A cutting table. Comfortable chairs for all my friends. A small kitchen for creating simple meals. A front porch with a swing and chairs. You would always be welcomed......just follow the laughter and come on in....Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile
You gals certainly have some great ideas. Since our kids are grown and grandkids are not here, I's easy for me to take over my oldest son's bedroom and make it into a sewing room. I have everything I want in that room: lighting, windows, worktables, maching, serger, storage, etc. But you know. After living in this enviable workspace, I'd love to have more space. Keep on dreaming farmgirls.........you know how much we get to change our minds.(lol) Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Here's where I created this summer.
http://www.childinharmony.com/2010/06/creating-in-open-air.html

and hope to have my own creative nook
http://www.childinharmony.com/2010/06/creative-nook.html

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  2:39:17 PM  Show Profile
I have plans for a little studio to house all my painting stuff. It's going to be on the north side of the garage with a big window on the north side, maybe a skylight above the window; it's the best light for painting. It will be 9.5' by 10' because we don't have to get a building permit if it's under 100 square feet. We are just moving into the new house we've been building for the last 2 years, DH has to finish up the inside of his garage/woodshop in the next few months and then we can build my studio next summer.

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Full of storage and uncluttered. Everything my creative space is NOT :( I feel so ashamed to have a space (so many people dream of even having a space to create in) and have it in the condition that it's in, but the problem is that I don't have good storage in there and I wear MANY creative hats, so all my different things need a home and they don't have one right now, so it's all just a bad mess. I don't even go in there anymore because with three little boys running around I don't have the time to go in and organize. It's gotten really bad because the times that I do get to go in there and sew or look for yarn in my stash or whatever I only have time to get as much as I can done before a little one wakes from his nap or calls on me and then I have to leave everything where it's at and nothing ever gets put away or re-organized. YIKES! It really is awful and I desire it to be so much more :( I need someone who is not organizationally challenged like me to help me fix it and make it a workable space.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

CountryThymeLady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Wanda
Lakeville Nova Scotia
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  07:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi gals ... understand the need for more space ...had a beautiful studio which took up the entire 2nd floor of our farmhouse but then our daughter's rocky marriage went into the really badlands and a year ago we went to Ontario and rescued her and what few belongings she was able to hang on to; and where else to go but to come for the comfort she so desperately needed and the place to rest and reflect ?Well that would have to be my studio and so the entire 2nd floor has become her apartment of sorts ... and all my crafting dreams are now crowded into one small section of our living room ; Here I work on projects and try to remember to put as much as possible back into it's alloted, space as I'm sure ya'll have found out it is soooo easy to just let it rest wherever and say I'll get it later .My precious cat,Katie,keeps me company until hubby arrives home and he's so sweet to never say anything about the sounds of the sewing machine echoing above his Speed channel I have placemats and tablerunners to finish off for my MIL for Christmas just now as well as knitting away on my shawl and today I'm hunting out the floss colours I need to x-stitch some Chickadee ornaments for one of my trees this year .... and who knows what else I may start work on .... just discovered a pile of UFO's which I really need to do something with .....Ah well there's aways another day ....There wouldn't happen to be a thread on here regarding UFO projects would there ???

Big Hugs and tiny Stitches from Nova Scotia ( where the the sun is shining brightly on a crisp cool day ...the Silver Maple in front of one of the kitchen windows is alive today with our tiny feathered friends as they gobble up on all the treats we have been hanging out for them .... I love to watch them ,but kitty-Katie seems to think she has to protect the winowsill from them ....way too cute !

Luv, Wanda (CountryThymeLady)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  07:41:46 AM  Show Profile

This is where a lot of my craft stuff is. I have another area that Richard made for me I can show another time. To bad I don't know much about sewing. Real good on straight stitching.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  8:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all: when I started this topic I was just sort of dreaming. Well I want you to know that eventually dreams do come true. When we first got married I literally sewed on a tv tray. When we moved into our small house (which we still have) I sewed on my grandmother's treadle in the tiny laundry room in front of the window. It was a very practical place to havemy sewing machine because I could mend when the stuff came off the line and before taking it to the bedrooms. When we were raising our family, I usually had to sew after the kids went to bed. When you are young you don't need as much sleep (or so we think we don't).
When my oldest moved away from home, I cautiously moved my sewing machine and craft stuff in. Now I have the whole room (8X8')Creativiity doesn't depend on a room to grow. Keep a notebook of your ideas and dreams, complete with pictures. Since we are supposed to bloom where are planted, make the most of what you have. Happy dreaming and crafting.

Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile
I am working on creating a Studio/craft room,actually rooms,in th eupstairs of my ol farm house. It is up and away from where my grandbabies play and I dont have to put things up, if I don't wamt to, when company is coming. Getting ready to paint and add shelves. One step at a time !! lol !!
Hugs from Kansas...
Sister #2339
Kristy the Eggfarmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  4:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Kristy...Hooray for you! you deserve your own space where no one can bother your creativity. As your grandkids get older then you can invite them in. Happy painting! Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  9:40:43 PM  Show Profile
You are so right Bonnie. I do some crafting with my granddaughter. She is only 3 so I am linited in things that do not take too long to complete. My dear Grandson is disabled so we sing and dance a lot. But I invision soon setting up the dollhouse I created downstairs in what was the old parlor of my ol house. Also add kid sized table and chairs,book shelves,books and a toybox that my hubby created before he passed. I eventually want to have french doors put in the opening between the parlor and the living room. To keep my beloved furbabies outta the room I create for the grands. My puppy,Angel, likes to run off with the stuff toys !! lol !! Too much fun around here !! lol !1
Ok... off to dream a little more !!
Hugs....Kristy

Farmgirl #2339
An ol Kansas girl
Go to Top of Page

kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Lots of light! Windows, windows, windows, but still warm in the winter. I'd also like lots of cabinet space, counter space at my height, wood floors w/ an area rug for coziness and a big old stuffed chair to curl up in with a cup of tea when I'm taking a break or thinking through a project. In purples too--more in the muted tones, but purples all the same. Purple gives me creative energy. Oh, a golden retriever curled up in the room and a cat sleeping on my latest project are always good additions too!

~Come visit me at my blog www.kluckingbear.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  4:35:35 PM  Show Profile
all these wonderful spaces
for creating .i too have a room
it gets so messy but i love it
its always a work in progress
no matter how hard i try i just
can't seem to get it
to feel right if you know what i mean
i will check out studios that might inspire me abit.
blessings deborah

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What is your ideal creative workshop like? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page