Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What is your ideal creative workshop like?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What is your ideal creative workshop like? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  7:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Where do you create? Where would you like a space to create. My ideal workspace would be outside of my house (although attatched) so I could be free from phone calls. It would be large enough for my sewing machine and sewing stuff on one side and painting and messy stuff on the other. Probably a small barn would do it. Plenty warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Lots of bulleting board space to hang up my ideas. Lots of windows to let in the light. A wood stove in the middle with two cozy chairs, a braided rug for my cats. Lace curtains on one side and tool boards on the other. How about you?

grandmother and orphan farmgirl

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  9:04:40 PM  Show Profile
IMy last post is where I create! I love creating to! I would love a little garden shed to create in. Love your dream creative space!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com
http://sweetsassysadielee.blogspot.com
http://beehivecottage.etsy.com
http://sassysadielee.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  06:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Ooh. I've been dreaming of redoing my glassed in front porch as my creative space. The front is lined with eight windows, separated by an entry door. One side has a door leading to the carport, and a huge sliding glass door (considering taht my porch is about four feet higher than the carport, go figure, but it's there!) Two other walls are part of the house, with a kitchen window and an entry door, and one kinda sticks out a bit, with the 'indented' space leading to a door to my bedroom. My dreams are to paint the walls a pale yellow, the ceiling a pale green and the cement floor a gray. I want to put lace curtains on the windows. On one end I'll have my weaving loom and when I finally get it, a spinning wheel. On the short solid wall, I want to put shelving and cubbies for my craft supplies. On the other end, by the sliding doors, I want a wicker and rocker seating area where I can sit and work on my handwork, knitting, crocheting and maybe just sit and read for a spell. And, of course, I want to handweave a rug in pastels to go on the floor! Ooh. Now, Bonnie! Why did you have to go and do this? Now I'm gonna have to go home and prod dh to finish that blasted shop so I can have my porch back!!!!!! Right now, my porch is only used for storing his office stuff that he doesn't need right away, but can't put any place else until the new shop is built. Rats!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love the space I have, it is a sunroom at the back of my kitchen. It lets a lot of light in, and I have the perfect view of the back yard, my chickens, and the shinanigan that go on there.... I also have the view of the rosa... a group of vineyards behind us... it is heaven. My space is pretty plain right now, but I just did a chapter challenge with our local chapter inspired by the magazine, "where women create". I got the magaxzine a while back when they Highlight MaryJane ( the editor is a friend of MaryJanes) and I have been "hooked" every since.

The chapter challenge is to re-do your creative space.. no matter how big or small etc. We will have awards at the end of it ( we have given ourselves until March), the awards will be things like, best use of space, space that best identifies the artist's work, best space created on little to no $$$, etc.

My space is being re-done all around "WORDS".

We plan on having a "tour of creative spaces" in March and chapter memebers will all vote.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i love these post about our "spaces" especially since i am starting to create again.
first i have to say my ideal workshop does not include a visitin possum or two!
i actually have two spaces to creat and then i always spillover int the living room, that is where the tv and the comfortable chairs are. i know, my dh has the patience of job, can i send him to your house for a few days of r and r.....ooops i'm just kidding.
anyway, my craft areas have suffered from neglect but i am starting to clean them up and finding some very interesting things under all those piles of felted fabric!
i will try to post some pics of the creating workshop areas this week! love this post!

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

www.angeltree.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
here are some pics of the craft/computer room in the house.
it is small and cozy, about 8'by10'
the walls are covered with shelves, the computer and sewing machine are in there and a small fainting couch and old chest of drawers.
i will try to post the pics of what is supposed to be my craft room later.

this room has french doors into the living room, and french doors looking outside.(but there are no stairs so they are the doors to nowhere and function more like big windows. this picture is from the living room looking at one of the doors that open to the outside.

there are both of the doors. it is such a small area that it is hard to photo.

here is the fainting couch.
oh i didnt even notice that clooney and tango are both passed out on the fainting couch.heheheheh

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,

www.angeltree.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  05:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you heard of the magazine "Where Women Create"? I bought a copy online when they had MaryJane in one issue. I love this magazine but have only purchased the one copy (they cost about $15). You can go online and see a sample. It has great ideas you can use from the craft rooms they show. Worth checking it out.

I have small bedroom I use for my crafts and am in process of redoing it. I took out the closet as it was in an awkward corner by the only window. I really do need an entire building though. I just got a 1957 Dalton camper/trailer from a fellow farmgirl for $100. It needs lots of work but is dry so I am making it an extension of my sewing room for the overflow fabric and hats and projects. I couldn't buy a storage building for $100 and this one is movable. I do want to restore it but we are going into winter now and that will be a spring project.

Some people look for happiness, others create it!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  6:45:28 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to see pictures of where we farmgirls create. I'll try to post mine soon. This is exciting.

Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i agree, i like looking at where everyone creates. i will try to post pics of my real craftroom this week. my camera battery needed a recharge so i couldnt do it today.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,

www.angeltree.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  6:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I just moved from a tiny bedroom to a larger one, about 12x 16,lots of drawers and shelves. Plenty of room for 3 sewing machines and way too much fabric! Will paint and redo the flooring in the Spring,It has nice lighting and a good view of my side yard and woods/ It would be ideal with a wall door and patio !
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  3:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals: there is also another magazaine that comes out periodically that's called Studios. It is published by Cloth, Paper and Scissors. It's another good look at where women create. We don't have to be "artists" to have a creative space, but there lots of good ideas in there also. But we farmgirls have our own style and own needs so let's show some of your "creative spaces". I also envision a tiny little nook where I can put a wicker rocker and good light where I can hand sew. Cats curled u on the braided rug beside me. We're really good at dreaming, arent't we.

Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  8:46:28 PM  Show Profile
My ideal creative space is a cabin in the north woods. There, I'd write my poetry, work on my novel, and chill out with embroidery. I'd cook scrumptious vegetarian meals and go for long walks in the woods. there would be a cozy fireplace and it would be so peaceful...until Bullwinkle the moose comes up to the front porch and decides to munch on the hanging flower basket...
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  9:52:28 PM  Show Profile
I second that motion Cindy. Sitka Alaska, or even Talkeetna.. I would LOVE THAT!! I am from Northern MN which is pretty rural. Often described as the great nothing. Love it!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh to have shelves! They look great. The Where Women Create magazine is cool too. This is the first house, since I was a kid, that I have had my own space. I love, love, love it! This is what you see coming up the stairs

my sm and serger, dd1's machine, niece's machine, cutting table, ironing table

and this is to the right of the stairs. Vintage corner, dd's Necchi BC, singer 328 behind, purple quilt was made by my great-great-Grandma, little nine patch was made by great Gran on the other side and the dresser was dh's Gran's. All things embroidery and hand quilting live here

please keep the pictures coming ladies. I am always looking for storage ideas that don't hang on a wall, lol!

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  6:24:30 PM  Show Profile
My creative workshop would be right under the cypress trees, with all of my cats around. I could paint, or even get some strong fellows to carry my piano out under the trees. That would be super joyous!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  2:15:09 PM  Show Profile
We added on toour cabin in the mountains this past year and specifically built my own studio.....12' x 20' - with lots of windows and plugs - just got painted - lights going up now - will have pictures before I put in the decking, the storage and work spaces and then the after...Can't wait to use it!

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile
I am gonna set up my space in our new bedroom. It's 20x20 and there was gonna be a bathtub in it, which there still might be, if I have anything to say about it. I'm gonna wait till time for the tub, then gently remind my DH that it could be a sexy addition to the bedroom. ;) He'll have it installed before bedtime guaranteed! LOL! I found a shelf thing that sets on top of a claw foot tub for dryin sweaters that would make a great table for layin out all my work papers while I'm doin stuff and would open up my little crafting table for the actual craftin! I could make an L shaped work station near the tub with a rollin chair, so I can scoot back and forth to where I need to be. The walls are real tall and peaked at the top, so lots of space for shelves and cubby holes for all my supplies. I also have a white cabinet that was supposed to be for all the paper and school supplies that is now so full it won't close. I will be very happy to get it back to just paper and school supplies. I am tryin to decide what to hang for inspiration and I think it will be up to my girls to make and draw things for me to hang up. I think my space will be much plainer and less modern than most, but it suits me and my personality best.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine purchased one of those garden sheds and insulated it and now does all her sewing outside away from the house. I think it is about 10x12 or so and she has plenty of room plus an overhead loft for storage. I thought that would be a great idea--warm in the winter and cool in the summer (with AC of course).

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:22:12 PM  Show Profile
My craft room is actually a kitchen we used when we were finishing our upstairs or our house. We built our house backwards. We finished the basement first and then did the upstairs. We wanted to be sure that we finished the basement. When we moved upstairs we built an official kitchen. The downstairs kitchen had a used gas stove, sink, and used refrig. We left all the appliances and kitchen table in the room. It has tons of floor to ceiling shelves and a wall with peg board. It has worked very well. I preserve food, craft, sew, use the extra oven for holiday get togethers, knit, etc down in that room. I love it. It can be messy and I am the only one that sees it. I even have craft supplies in the kitchen cupboards.
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I just took over the spare room. I moved the bed out and put in my favorite work table and have shelves and bins to store everything....I spend hours in there. It's close to the kitchen so it's close to everything and I'm not too far if someone needs me. Dogs, cats, husband, and occasional visit from Daughter and friends.
It's very small..10x10, it's half the size of my last one, but it works........but we're looking forward not back....

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7529 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7529 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  09:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I just bought an east Texas country house with a separate guest house - not attached to the house. This guest house is going to be my quilting/craft "studio". The main room is 13'x21' with built in shelving and cabinets, a huge closet,and a full bath! It will be so nice to have a space dedicated to creativity. Maybe some of my quilt ideas will finally get written up and marketed. LOL!

I love looking at the pictures of your creative spaces. Thanks for sharing.

Linda O
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 20 2010 09:57:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  5:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Whoo Hoo to all of you taking charge of your creative spaces! Whether it is a closet or a separate house we all need our space to create! Remember: "Don't just think about it, Do it!" Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  07:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Right now I have couple of spaces: office is exclusive for computer work.
Basement is mostly for my sewing. My whole sewing area is downstair. I am waiting to get a dressform and it will definitely be complete.
Part of the diningroom is my craft area (this I have to change...) it is not going smoothly for me.

I hope when we move (in few years) I have a whole room or a shed outside so I can have more space.

I think I have a picture of my sewing area? I have to find it when i get the chance.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile
My ideal would be clean!! I have several works in progress-wedding flowers & pew decorations-corsages & boutenierres-baby quilts-towels to embroider-rag rug-

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  11:10:55 AM  Show Profile
wow Karla, that sounds fun in there....I bet it's beautiful with all that stuff in there!
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  07:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I have a studio upstairs in our house and we are going to turn our garage into another studio where my husband can have all his tools set up and I can have an area to do things other than sewing. I love going up to my studio and stitching while listening to old radio shows.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What is your ideal creative workshop like? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page