Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Breeding Season. Ready or Not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Breeding Season. Ready or Not! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  12:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Well, it's breeding season here at Outback Farm. I had no intention of breeding goats til next month but they have different ideas, apparently. Abby has gotten out 3 times today and went over to the buck pen. Had all 5 of the bucks lined up at the fence checking her out. She was liking that! So this last time I got the biggest buck, Sadie's Boy, and put him in the back yard with Abby and Faith. Poor boy doesn't know what hit him! Just whamo, she's all over him. I just hope it works. So by the end of March they should have some kids.

I'll wait to breed the 2 younger does the end of November. That way they won't all kid at the same time like they did this spring. Although that was kind of nice to get it all over with.

So here we go again. Wish us luck, ya'll! I want more does next year. No bucks!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  2:25:34 PM  Show Profile
hi kris, we have a problem in the county with pink eye bad. so i need to breed a lamonche doe. i was going to wait for it to calm down some. or i could use semen. have you ever tried to ai a goat? we have a gentlemen here that does ai on small farms. she is reg. not that it mattered to me whrn i got her. but i wonder if goats are difficult. she was dancing in the yard with cocoa and biuttercup the other morning. thats big for her i have never seen her run fast or jump. so she was getting fired up. whats your opinion. i have no bucks nor want any. thanks sherrye
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  5:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean Kristin. My does are as ready as ever and so is my buck. I am going to breed one of my does after they get wormed. Hopefull in November.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I have 5 bucks right now. 3 of them will be in the freezer in Jan. Ya need one? They are Lamancha, too. I can't decide which 3 are going, though. I have the biggest one out there now. No, I have never AD'd. But Abby was supposed to have been bred that way to a great buck from NY when I bought her. But it obviously did not take. Because she came in heat and got in with my meat goats and had little elf eared kids that year.

All I have ever done when I was ready to breed the does is put a buck in with them. That usually does the trick. But apparently Abby is in standing heat right now. I really did not want to breed her because I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her. But if you know someone with bucks you could borrow that's the best thing to do. You just keep him a few weeks and send him packing when you're done with him.

Maggie, good luck with your breeding. I hope all goes well and you get some cute kids. I am so excited to have a Nubian buck this year to breed Sandy to. I want more ears! She has pretty babies, too. She's red and the buck looks like a Doberman. So they should make some cute little kiddoes. I will wait til Nov. to breed her and Sadie Mae. Unless they dicide different!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  8:32:20 PM  Show Profile
hi there, to bad your so far away. i think your right but now to find one a buck i mean. maybe a craigs list ad would work. i know of other bucks but would lke a lamonche. i love there attitude. easy going. i had nubian goats before. i really enjoyed them. two does abbie and fiona. with my limitations they were to powerful for me. i had bottle fed from 2 days old both of them. so sweet i would get up in the night and feed and change their bedding. work but rewarding. now papas brother has them. my lamonche is so mellow and easy. all these years around goats and i just tasted the meat about 3 months ago. i was surprised at the mildness of the meat it was boer. hop much land and goats do you have? hope all is well for you tonight. sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  05:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. I looked out the back window and buck was eating grass. His momma Sadie is on the other side of the fence checking him out. I have 4 does right now. 3 lamancha and 1 Nubian. I love my Lamancha's personalities. They are each so different. One of thm has a bad attitude around other people. I have to watch out for her when I have company. She will head butt. But the others are sweet. Now Sandy the Nubian is my baby. She's 3 and I have had her since she was a week old. I got her and her brother and bottle fed them. So I will always have Sandy. She's my sweetie. A bit neurotic and hates to be alone, but other than that I love her. I have 3 acres of land. The does are out back in electric fence. It used to be all overgrown with blackberry bushes and trees. Now it's almost bear. The bucks are up front in the pasture-garden where the chickens are supposed to be. I say supposed to be because they are all over the yard now. The 2 cows (soon to be one heifer!) are in the pasture next door belonging to my neighbor.

Yes, I would look at Craig's list. Lots of good animals there. It might cost a little. Some charge a fee or a kid. Good luck! And I have had a little goat meat before. Some stew and some burger. The stew from a very old buck and the burger from a yearling buck. Both good. Mine will be just 9 months when they are butchered. So the meat should be nice and tender and sweetly mild. They are grass fed. No grain at all. So we'll see.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  12:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I think the does must all be pregnant now. I took the first buck out a few weeks ago. Then a few days ago put in another one to see what would happen. Nothing happened. So I am assuming the first buck did the job. I took #2 buck out and will put him back in next week. Hopefully they are all bred now. If they are that was certainly quick. Both these bucks are white. The past 2 years I have used white bucks. The Nubian buck is black like a Doberman. Sandy is red. They should make pretty kids I hope.

I hope everyones breeding time goea as smoothly as mine has. Now comes the long wait til Spring. This time I only have 4 does to kid. Lots less babies this time. Last year we had 13. And with 7 does that was 20 goats. Way too many goats. I had a really bad worm problem, too. This time the does will be wormed the day after kidding.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  1:06:15 PM  Show Profile
I hope we all have good luck this coming spring. I have only 1 Nigerian Dwarf Doe and 1 ND Buck left. Our money has been so tight that I sold all my Nubians and other Nigerians. If the money situation ever starts getting better, I think I am going to try raising Oberhasli's

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:22:29 AM  Show Profile
There is a strap on vest for rams and bucks that has a chalk pad on it. The chalk comes in differant colors, white, black, brown, so when they breed, they leave a coat of the chalk on the doe/ewe, so you know they've been bred and by who (more than one buck/ram, differant chalk colors). Beats standing there and watching, also you know which buck/ram, so if the doe/ewe doesn't take, or has poor quality kids/lambs, you can cull if needed.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:31:48 AM  Show Profile
I have seen those chalk straps. Good idea when using multiple bucks.

Right now I put buck #2 back in with the Lamancha does and Sadie Mae is in standing heat. He's all over her. Or was this morning anyway. So she may be a few weeks later than the others. Also put the Nubian back in with the Nubian buck. Nothing. So hopefully it's all taken care of now. It's so much easier with just 4 does.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Breeding Season. Ready or Not! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page