Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
hi ladies, so I've been giving my milk goat 2 quarts of grain at each milking so a totally of 4 guarts a day. Is that good or bad? should I give her more or less??? She's not fat at all quite the opposite in fact. I'm getting ready to breed her and want her to be health before I do. Make sense? I also give my 7 month old doe 2 quarts a day. Is that ok? Thanks again!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  10:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I notice many people who have goats here don't grain as much as I do. Do any of you have Nubians?
I am curious if you don't give them grain except when they are milking what besides hay do you feed or pasture to get them in good weight and to ward of keotisin ??? I would love to grain less but it seems even when they are dry I have always had to give at least 1/2 a pound a day to keep them in condition. Many of my nubians range from 150 lbs to over 200 lbs. I know hay and pasture and minerals are the most important and a base for any rumiment.

I don't know if its where I live and the climate or just the breed. Would love imput. I am always open to learn other ways or better ways that would maybe work for my herd. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  5:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda, I have Nubians. Well really nubian mixs, but there 75% nubian.
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

Edited by - maggie14 on Oct 23 2009 5:51:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  05:47:54 AM  Show Profile
I feed a 50/50 mix of Purina goat chow and calf manna, while my girls are on the milk stand, most days about 1-2 cups. I keep alfalfa hay in the hay rack, but use horse quality field hay when I can't get alfalfa. I put about a hand full of grain in their feeders when I put them up in the evening, so they will go in quickly. I keep Purina Gold mineral supplement out for them all of the time, and baking soda in a dispenser also. I have about 1 acre in weeds, that we plan to convert to feed grass, this coming spring. I use Verm-X to worm them. I have two Nigerian dwarf does. My vet told me as long as I can feel their ribs easily, they are not too fat.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  3:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i keep seeing that many of you give soda/ baking soda to your goats. what is this for? how uch do you give? would you start out with less and build up? what form is it in?
we are currently giving racheal about a 14 ounce (veggie can) of sweet feed and as much hay as she will eat. she gets to browse on a bit of labrador tea, low bush cranberries and willow. is their a special kind of mineral block for goats? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  3:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i forgot to also tellyou that our hay is timothy and brome with a little lower nutrient content than what you would get in the lower 48. we pay a minimim of $7 a bale for it.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  1:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
I feed my goats grain everyday, can't tell you exactly how much each one gets. There is 13 goats and they get 1/2 a 5 quart pale. The grain is just to keep them coming up to the barn yard everyday so that we can visually and/or physically check them over everyday. During the summer they are on pasture also and during the winter the get free choice hay. They have free choice mineral all year round. My dairy goats run this main herd during the winter when they are not in production but while they are in production they get lots of grain depending on the body weight and milk production of the goat. I do not feed my milk goats alfalfa because I do not like the taste in the milk, so instead I adjust the nutrient in the grain to make up for the missing protein of the alfalfa.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  07:02:05 AM  Show Profile
I keep baking soda in a feeder and let my girls have all they want. They will eat it when they need it. I tried a deer mineral block last fall, and my girls ate on it every day, but I think the chickens got more than Sienna and Mi Hija did. A friend of mine had problems with his girls getting scours from a deer block, so he won't be using one this year. I will probably buy my first one this weekend. I do keep Purina Goat Mineral in a feeder for them to use as needed. A square bale of alfalfa cost $13.00 last weekend and regular hay was $7.50, I can get chopped, bagged alfalfa at the feed store for $18.00. I have made the decision to use up the square alfalfa bales and switch to the bagged, because there is less waste, and alfalfa will not be avaiable here soon. I put the bagged in buckets for them and they waste less of it. Also, the bagged is available year round, without a change in price.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  07:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Why do you give your goats baking soda? I'm new, well kinda new to the goat world and have never heard of that.
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What do you feed your goat? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page