Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 searching for greener pastures...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic searching for greener pastures... Next Topic  

jakajibb
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

rhode island
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2004 :  6:03:12 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are planning a move with our four yr old son and looking for ideas. We are wanting a community that has a good homeschooling network, green attitude and cultural opportunities. Please share some places that we could check into, or any advise on where we can search. THANKS!

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2004 :  6:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Want to move cross country?
Washington is wonderful and has all of those things on your list especially if you look in western Washington near Sequim. Port Townsend or out here in the Quilcene area. Do you like mountains, rivers and trees?
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jakajibb
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

rhode island
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2004 :  12:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Eileen! We actually did live out west about 10yrs ago in Seattle which wasn't right for us at the time and more recently in Montana which was just...too...COLD!! Mostly it was the long, grey winters and the economy was not so great either. But I will check out the towns you mentioned. We are definately up for a change! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

rivergirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

mackenzie
boise ID
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2004 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Funny you should mention looking for greener pastures--this is the #1 topic in our household (we also have a 4 year old son). For us, Boise is a nice city, there are lots of interesting people, and the access to the outdoors is amazing, but I would really like our son to go to Waldorf school, and there is not one here (I am contemplating homeschooling as a back up). I have lived in some pretty neat places. Let's see, in my life, I have lived in McCall, ID (small town, great skiing, up and coming economy, but a long winter ie, not much of a gardening season). In CA I lived in Nevada City, which is in the foothills outside Tahoe, closer to Sacramento (very green, great homeschooling and Waldorf schools available), but it's CA so that means expensve housing and too crowded for our taste. Have you thought about Oregon? The countryside is incredible. We are looking into the Eugene area. I am a small town gal, so Boise is not cutting it that way either. The Moscow, ID area (MaryJanes Farm locale) is beautiful, has a university, and might be somethig to check out for you. For us, even though we have a farm-based business we hope to pursue, for now we rely on my husband's "city" job so that I can pursue my at-home career and be at home with our son. Good luck-- and if you find anything great, let us know--Good neighbors are a true blessing!
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  06:29:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome!

I'll second Moscow, ID as fitting your requirements as well--the climate there is more temperate, as well--not as hot in the summers nor cold in the winters. The university there as well as WSU just 10 miles away in Pullman, WA provides many cultural opportunities. I don't know about the Waldorf school but there is Logos School, which as I understand is a classical academy. I was just visiting Moscow this weekend and it is sure a beautiful place in the fall.

Good luck with your search!
Go to Top of Page

jakajibb
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

rhode island
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  07:46:30 AM  Show Profile
I have been thinking of looking into Moscow and when I mentioned it to my husband, he reminded me that we stopped there on our drive from Montana to California! It dawned on me that I loved it there! We were only there to stop at the Health food co-op and sat and had a coffee in a great cafe and I said at the time this seems like a great community. So, does anyone know about the economy? My husband is a handyman of sorts. We have been able to support our family fairly well with his skills. Also, is there anyone out there that is familiar with the coastal area of North Carolina...New Bern or Oak Island. Also the Asheville area...
Go to Top of Page

rivergirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

mackenzie
boise ID
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  4:36:36 PM  Show Profile
I lived in Moscow for grad school, and it seemed that the economy was a mix of University jobs (Univ of Idaho and Wash. State Univ aross the line), and ag jobs--the Palouse is the "Lentil and Pea Capital of the World," if I remember correctly, and it is grain country. I have several good friends who don't work in either of those areas, but love it and seem to do fine, and are happily raising families there. Asheville, NC is my old stomping ground, and I have a sis who is moving there next year--there are GREAT housing options, small farms etc at low prices. There is also a thriving organic-artsy-whatever you want to call it community...don't have any info on the coast...good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  6:27:42 PM  Show Profile
When I was in Moscow last weekend, my aunt and uncle were saying that there is building going on there like crazy. Apparently there is a shortage of family housing there and I can say that the housing landscape is VERY different from when I left there 10 years ago--many, many new homes. But, not enough. My friend who is in construction said that there are large construction companies but few people who want to handle remodels and such. My uncle seconded that since he is getting his home ready for sale and has had trouble finding someone to do stuff like replace windows and fix the places in the walls where 22 years worth of raising kids have taken their toll. I think a handyman business there would go great guns. Because of the amount of people with good educations there, the schools are also really good. I went to jr. high and high school in Moscow and felt well-prepared for college (which I also attended in Moscow, through grad school). I know you're looking at Waldorf/homeschool, and I can't speak to that, but I bet there is a good homeschooling network there with likeminded, well-educated folks.

As you can tell, I am pretty biased, since Moscow is "home" to me. My heart fairly sings when I crest the hill and see the town with its trees and rolling hills of grain, and the beautiful old university buildings!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic searching for greener pastures... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page