Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  12:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Linda and Jennifer, you both have beautiful dreams!! I hope one day that they will come true!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

simplecomfort
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Tawnya
Rural Orrick Mo
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  5:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send simplecomfort an AOL message
well i moved here in oct and thought it was my dreamfarm. its a nice big new house on 10 acres with a huge shop and pole barn. but honestly, id rather live in an old farmhouse with more land so i can rescue more horses and animals. a log cabin in the middle of a wood and pasture with stream running thru would be wonderful

"Thank God I'm a country girl"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  9:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I really like your dream farm Tawnya! Can I come visit?!?! :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  9:41:46 PM  Show Profile
My dream farm is five to ten acres in southern Illinois, where I could have a small herd of alpacas, a mini horse or two, chickens, ducks, and a pond of course, plus a veggie garden, an herb garden, a restored prairie, an old farmhouse that has been updated and "greened"--I'd like it to be in Amish country because they wouldn't pollute the land with chemicals and pesticides. I'd tend to my animals, gardens, crafting, and most of all, writing. And there would be some dogs to keep me company and guard my other animals.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  10:12:35 PM  Show Profile
My farm is already my dream; a beautiful handmilled wood house,wrap around deck ,off the grid , on forty acres,good water.Close in to a small town and community , but up a small dirt road so it feels out in the middle of nowhere.We have a small barn, wonderful chicken coop,brick oven outdoor kitchen party area.Large veggie garden beginning to get run over with flowers.Fifty fruit trees happily growing.Two horses,twenty chickens, three dogs,three cats.
The only thing though is all the effort to build all this infrastructure seems so much for just one family. I like the co-housing idea and wish friends would build next door and we can all share alot of these amenities.I feel isolated from the community here working so hard to build this and raise kids and work thirty plus hours a week.
We do believe that the only way to hold onto this place as we get older, is to be able to generate some income.We're going to work on some rentals in the future.We have a foundation poured for another house if we can ever afford to build it.
Wouldn't it be great to have a small retirement community, small cabins,maybe four,(off grid so no utilities but phone),fairly close together with a large garden,outdoor area in the middle.Trying to be as self sufficient as possible yet sharing the burden and helping each other out.Unfortunately the permiting for something useful like this would be close to impossible here even though we live in one of the most liberal and alternative counties in America.
I get worried how the next generation is ever going to get old, how will there be enough money saved for this expensive mortgage,rising utilities,taxes, cost of healthy food, home care. Plus usefulness and offering something back as we get older.A model of what's possible.
Those are some of my ruminations as you got me going... Katie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Katie, it sounds just delightful! I am so happy that your dreams came true. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't need or want much more than I have, but the part missing is being able to stay home nd generate my incomed

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  07:03:11 AM  Show Profile
I have always dreamed of having enough acreage to have a large red barn, beautiful fenced pastures and a large lake. I want to have solar and wind power so we can be off the grid. We want to be selfsustaining. Cows, chicken, goats, horses, pigs, and wondeful dogs to help with keeping them in line. And to be able to have my health to keep the farm going full speed ahead.
I hope all you ladies that want these wonderful farms you are dreaming of.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:03:57 PM  Show Profile
My husband and both have the same dream, and that is to have at least 20+ acres that is partly wooded and partly tillable. We want more chickens and a rooster and a few other animals as well. I don't mind neighbors, as long as I can't see them moving around in their own home from my kitchen window.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Twenty or so acres with a log cabin or farmhouse (with a big porch). Mature trees, fruit trees, chickens, maybe a cow. Preferably near mountains that I can ski in the winter. Big barn and a few outbuildings for fun. There must be a swing hanging from one of the trees. I pond and/or creek would be heavenly.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh yea there must be neighbors within walking distance. Across a field is fine but I NEED friends who just show up.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:32:43 PM  Show Profile
We would love to have 100 acers that are fenced. With a large red barn. And about 50 head of cattle. I would also love to have a nice chicken coop with about 2 dozen chickens both for laying and meat. I would love to grow my own grain and have a large garden. And a beautiful orchard. But still have a small house with a red metal roof. That has solar and wind power. And a large pond that has fish so we could go fishing.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile
I purchased my dream farm 14 years ago after my husband passed. It is 35 acres with 2 of it in wonderful pine trees and a campground for friends, family and customers to enjoy life here. I have put wonderful fencing up to make 7 connecting pastures so you can move animals with only one person. I have one large barn for the females and babies, and a smaller barn which is inbetween four the of the pastures. All the barns have water and electricty. In those pastures I also have large loafing sheds to keep animals safe, dry and warm. I have two huge isolation pastures with loafing sheds that are separate from the rest - that is where we would do our breeding for outside customers because I have an organic breeding farm. I do have a pond when the weather allows. I have a huge chicken coop where my gals can enjoy every minute without every worrying about space. I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 4 level log home with a shop on the ground level so when I get done with breakfast I only have to walk down a flight of stairs to get to work. I am greeted each day with my wonderful animals and a clear view of Pikes Peak out my front door.

Sure not everything is always the way I would like it but I can say I am so blessed to have made this dream come true..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  2:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Grace, your place sounds wonderful and well thought thru.

I just want to be far enough from my neighbors were I can't hear them taking a shower. I'd like to be off grid with solar and wind generator, a barn and chicken coop as well as a BIG shop for me and hubby. Room for an orchard and grape vines with pasture for beeves and bees and a snug little farmhouse to go with it. Thats it for now...just trying to work on the when and how to's...

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile
I would love lots of acerage, like 100. One big main house with two bedrooms, three bathrooms, a large kitchen great room area. Each child would have a home in the far corners of the acerage. We would all be off the grid. We would raise our own veggies,fruit,meat,and milk.
We would all spend Sunday together in the "big" house, loving each other and God. We would have cows,goats,chickens,sheep,pigs, dogs and cats.We would love and maintain our land as God intended.
Oh what a dream!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile
My dream farm would be small- 5-10 acres- just enough room to do what I want to. I want a big vegetable garden that grows enough veggies to feed us for most of the year. I'd can & freeze. An herb garden just outside my kitchen door (like I have now). A small orchard with 2 trees each of apples, peaches, pears & apricots. Let's not forget the cherry trees! A row of blueberry bushes. A small coop with just a few free-range chickens running around, egg layers, of course. I don't know if I'd ever raise my own meat. Part of the property would be wooded so the boys can explore nature & possibly learn to hunt. A big oak tree in the backyard with a tree swing hanging from it has always been an invitation to fond childhood memories. Our house would be heated with corn and/or wood burners. I'd love some solar panels and a wind turbine to off-set paying for utilities. Somewhere on the property I'd like a hobby shed where I could go to tinker with my hobbies or just be a hide-away to read a good book. Knowing me, it'd be more like a small, one room house with lots of windows for natural lighting. I could go on and on.....

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Lyn-your farm sounds like my ideal.

My dream farm would be just a few acres, enough room to have a goat, a few dogs and maybe a cat or two. I would like to grow my own veggies and fruits. It would really be more of an artist/craft type farm. I would love to have books, all sorts of craft supplies where people could come and clear their heads, relax, read and just be. I want to be far enough out to see the stars but close enough to go see a movie or a band if I wanted to. I would love to have a sanctuary for small dogs, so they can live out their lives in happiness.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't need or want much more than we have now but.....maybe a big red barn and a few goats. We keep busy with our 12 acres. We have a cow, donkey, 3 horses, chickens, rabbit and 4 dogs on the outside. We have a turtle in a tank, african gray and love bird inside. With us both working full time, its enough for now. Maybe when we retire, we could do more. We did have honey bees and they all left after a few years but we got lots of honey for now. Our small garden and fruit trees are really doing good. We are very thankful and blessed for what we have.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  5:53:35 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are lucky enough to live on our dream farm. An old farmhouse (that we are constantly working on) on 1,500 acres of land that has been in his family for 3 generations now. we raise beef cattle. I'm sitting on the back deck now listening to the birds and frogs. Lots of work keeping fences repaired and pastures cleared but I wouldn't trade it for anything. We are truly blessed.

Judy

"Speak your mind and ride a fast horse"
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile
My dream is a log home on 25 acres or more with a barn for our horses and maybe a goat. I've never had chickens but think I might like to have some so a coop for the chicks as well. Add in a huge garden space with some kind of magical barrier to keep out the deer and rabbits, a clothesline (since the homeowner's association won't be able to tell me I can't have one), lots of trees, including fruit trees, and fields of wildflowers.
There's probably more but that's what comes to my mind at the moment.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  08:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Channah, since my mother died and her father's farm was sold back in Nebraska, I have dreamed of buying just the small portion where their house and outbuilding stood on. It is probably about 10 acres. It will never be more than a dreem because at my age I could never keep up all the work that needs to be done. Besides there is no power and no water on the place.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  08:18:49 AM  Show Profile
the only part of my dream that is missing is being able to stop working full time so I can be here and get the place in better shape - fewer weeds, better paths, etc. we have a small hobby farm and manage to grow a lot of our own food, including chickens, turkeys, pigs, rabbits and goats (for milk). it's a challenge to keep up with it all while working FT, but I'm happy to finally have a farm. I wanted one most of my life, so my dream has pretty much come true. I'm very blessed.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What was.. Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page