Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron Makers/Sellers...I've got a question for you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Makers/Sellers...I've got a question for you Next Topic  

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  4:28:00 PM  Show Profile
I am going to a craft show with my homemade aprons and want to market that I can also do custom orders. I sell my double sided aprons for $35 and for people that want me to get the fabric for them that will still be the price but for someone that wants to pick out their own fabric and get it to me I am not sure what to charge for my time on the apron. I charge the $35 for all of my double sided aprons, even if the fabric for some cost less than others so it just evens out and that makes it so I don't have a set price for my labor.

If you were doing something like that, where people were getting their own fabric, what would you have as your set price for the labor. I also home make all the bias tape I use because I can't stand store bought anymore.

Thoughts?

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  4:59:22 PM  Show Profile
I would go maybe $5.00 less if they get their own fabric, but also consider that a lot of times people charge more for custom work! I don't like store bought bias tape either!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  6:55:05 PM  Show Profile
I would agree with Monica I would take only about $5 off. If anyone thinks they should get more off remind them that they will be supplying only the fabric that you still have to supply the thread, bias tape, fresh needle for the machine, and any adornments you might add. It's not just your labor you are figuring in, you have electricity, water, use of your washing machine, use of your iron, wear and tear on your equipment, pattern expence, pins and needles...Don't sell yourself short.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  7:13:37 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the gals. Don't sell yourself short. My husband has always told me that you have to figure in your time, electricity, water and everthing else Victoria has mentioned. Besides sewing up garments or aprons or altering I would ass that all in. Same would go for my decorated cakes.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  11:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Yup, lol I agree with all of the above gals as well. You still have to do all the work, and time is expensive! I had the same thing happen to me long ago. I made things peeps loved and when they asked my price, and I told them they backed out and told me they could make it themselves cheaper. I told them "go ahead but count every single minute, gas, water, electricity etc. as well". Well they never came back but they also didn';t make it themselves lol. Figured it was worth the money I asked but just didn't want to spend it on ME. DUH!! AH well, they lost.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  05:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your thoughts on this! I have yet to have someone tell me they could make the aprons cheaper but I can see how some people would say that when they don't consider in all of those things. Though at the farmers market a friend of mine sells her cage free eggs and she's had people tell her they could buy the same thing in the store...I'm waiting for her to comment back that they most definitely can't get get her eggs in the store or anything even close to them...lol

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile
I so agree with the other ladies
Don't sell yourself short
People think that just cause you sew ;you won't charge them as much.
I think needlework is getting really popular
and those who don't know how to sew etc.
think that those who do ; will not charge them as much
I have an on-line friend that lives in the state of Washington
she makes bags like those you carry grociers in etc and aprons
to sell
I told her she is not charging enough.
All that work and her time
I think those who sell their work is worth just as much as those who paint etc.
Our needlework is just as much work if not more. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:13:08 PM  Show Profile
To make your apron styles available as a custom order I would create a price for custom orders...such as "Custom Orders....starting at $35.00 and go up in price depending on the style. If someone wants a custom *anything* it's due to them wanting something to match their decor, their clothing, their personality, etc..and it's usually worth the $$$ to them to pay extra to get it.

You want to service your customers and retain your integrity....set it up simple and tell them what their choices of *custom* are..they will either be interested or not...you keep your integrity and may make a sale.

Most that don't sew do not have a clue that ready to wear (bought out of a department store) is normally less expensive and less attention to details then custom made.....they don't think about where that ready to wear garment was mass produced..China, India, Vietnam, etc.....

Made in the USA is always a compliment so please don't allow your precious and valuable time to be reduced to sweatshop practices.

Have fun with it!! Your joyful attitude and a solid approach to what you are willing to make available to customers up front is always the best way to start...make a nice sign that is easy to read concerning your custom order details...the rest will take care of itself and you always have that sign to fall back on if they try to debate about details with you.

Good Luck!
Stephanie

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas Sheila and Stephanie! Gives me a lot to consider :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Makers/Sellers...I've got a question for you Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page