Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Yay!! Sewing Machines!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Yay!! Sewing Machines! Next Topic  

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  12:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Well, I have no room for it but going to make room for it, if it's the last thing I do. My mother-in-law had told me I could have my husband's grandmother's sewing machine! It also has a sewing machine table along with it. It was probably made in the 60's -- but I don't know how old the table is. When I asked her if she still had it, she said that my husband's Aunt also had another one available -- and if I remember correctly, it may be one of the old early beautiful black ones. I can't remember though so I don't want to get my hopes up.

So I have ALOT of ideas --- but I have never sewn on a machine before -- much less sewn much in my life. I have MaryJane's idea book and .. Well, I guess I will go from there and maybe there are some sewing tutorials online... How hard could it be... err..... right?? lol.

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile
You'll do fine. There are many vintage sewing machine groups on yahoo. I belong to the vintage singer and vintage necchi groups, many knowledgeable & helpful folks in both. Lucky you, I would love to see pics when you get them :)

Sarah

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  10:37:07 AM  Show Profile
You will do fine. I've taught myself when I was 6 or 7. Start with simple stuff and work up. There are lots of books and places on line that you can learn. I am sure there are alot of people here that can help too. The important thing is to have fun with it. Congrats on the machine.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Brooke, I am so excited for you and you will do just fine! To start, I would get some scrap fabric and just get used to using it without trying to make anything so you can get the feel of it! As Beth said have fun with it!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  08:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Monica, That's a good idea! I will do that! Thanks! ~ Beth, Thanks! I would like to work up to upholstery too like I was reading in Mary Jane's ideabook .... but we'll see about THAT. lol.

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Yay!! Sewing Machines! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page