Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Chores - what are your kids doing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Chores - what are your kids doing? Next Topic  

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  5:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering after I ran a search.

My girls (13 & 14) split up house and outdoor chores. Inside my 2 and my niece (who is with us every weekday) are responsible for load/unloading the dishwasher, wiping down counters, general maintenance in the family room, their own rooms and their bathroom. Outside one daughter does chicken chores (food, water, bring in eggs) and one daughter handles the stuff related to the dogs (kennel, dog blankets, etc). Son (who is only 4) helps with whatever we are doing (or his version of help anyway, lol)

Son is the only one who will help in the garden and if anything needs to get deeply clean (chicken coop, bathrooms) I need to be involved, if not doing it with them then at least directing.

So what chores do your kids do?

Sarah

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  12:17:43 AM  Show Profile
My daughter (15) does the critter feeding in the morning and night and fills and cleans waterers. (we have one cow, 2 sheep, one angora goat, several dozen chickens, 4 bunnies) 13 year old son folds and puts away clean clothes from the line or dryer, 13 year old daughter does dishes, 12 year old son does weed and garden work and waters potted plants. Then they also have weekly chores that change every friday..they alternate these...Pet helper feeds and waters the 3 dogs and 3 cats and straightens the mud room, Trash helper takes out trash, cleans kitchen trash can and puts big can out to the street on Tues mornings and cleans up the stairs leading up to the kid's rooms, Kitchen helper sets the table, clears away any table messes and straightens the family room when needed. Bathroom helper cleans bathroom. During gardening season they all help with watering and weeding, although I do most of the planting and mowing and like that. They help with harvesting too. (today they picked 5 big boxes of apples for me to can) They are in charge of cleaning their own rooms and can earn extra money when I have some, by helping with car cleaning, extra hard garden work, moving hay or coop cleaning, cellar cleaning, stuff like that. They are lots of help. They do get allowance but it certainly isn't alot. They are all good workers...although I have to say that the bathroom is cleaner on the weeks that one of the girls is bathroom helper..haha. I have found out that the more specific I am with exactly what I expect done on the chores the better it gets done. And we have a rule..no tv or friends until chores and homework are done. It works.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  06:54:14 AM  Show Profile
DS is 7 so he is starting to do more "real" chores. He puts away his clothes after I fold them he folds the towels, sweeps the deck, waters the potted plants, helps unloads the dish washer, and he pushes the manaul vaccuum when he thinks it needs it. He doesn't spend that much time doing chores but I think its important that he do something everyday even if I have to do it when he isn't looking.

How old do yall let your kids mow lawns-if there clear?
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well I'm a kid (14 years old) so I'll tell you what I'm doing.
I do dishes when ever they need doing, Laundry,picking up my room, taking care of my 2 rabbits,3 goats, 1 cat, and 1 dog, cleaning the bathroom, living room, kitchen, etc. With 6 people in the house and 7 animals theres always something that needs doing. I try and help out my mom and dad the best I can. :)
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile
That's so nice Maggie thanks for your perspective :)

Jinia (pretty name), my kids were raised in the city barring the last 3 years, out here we have a rider or a brush hog and they are not ready for that, lol. My 13 y/o mows lawns with a push mower for her papa, I think she was 11 1/2 ish when she started.

Jenny, good to know what I'm expecting isn't out of the ordinary, thanks.

Sarah

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  10:17:37 PM  Show Profile
My 13 and 15 year olds mow the lawns sometimes..but more often they do weed eating or like that and husband and I do the mowing. But they are able for sure. The other two are pretty small for their age and maybe need another year of growing..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  07:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lets see- when I was 4 I remember asking mom why I didn't have chores like my sisters did! Sheesh! LOL I actually ASKED for work! What was I thinking! LOL

Anyway so starting at 4 I fed the dog and cats and I think I started helping vacuum not to long after that. Growing up we were responsible for putting our laundry away, making our beds and keeping our rooms clean. Then we had weekly chores that the whole family rotated through and we all did our own laundry.

We divided it up as garbage (everyday), bathrooms, vacuuming carpets and dusting, dishes and kitchen, hmm I know I am forgetting one of them but *shrugs*.

I am sure mom did a better job than all of us and I know that she did cleaning everyday when she got home. We were supposed to do homework and chores right away when we got home before any recreation like friends, tv or later computer. During the summer we would have some lawn and garden type chores too.

We would also have optional chores that we could do for extra allowance like cleaning the garage. We all helped do family laundry like folding dish towels and pairing socks. We often did that on Saturday after the rest of the house was cleaned and we would do that while watching a movie as a family. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Chores - what are your kids doing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page