Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What kind of sewing machine do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What kind of sewing machine do you have? Next Topic  

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  07:52:30 AM  Show Profile
I have a beginner singer sewing machine...but I am thinking of upgrading to a Janome~~
What brand do you have and how is that working for you?
Jan

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  08:38:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a Janome Memory Craft 4800. I LOVE IT!!!!

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile
I mostly use my grandmother's singer feather weight. It doesn't do anything fancy, but it its a great machine. I also have a Kenmore, yick. I got to sew on a Janome not to long ago. I really liked it. I was told that you can get a Jamome at Wal-mart for $69. I am going to check into that.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  10:53:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a Singer zig-zag from the 1970's. It still works great, but the zipper foot broke off it's anchor and I'm having a really hard time replacing it. I hate to have to get a new machine, but I've tried to use universal zipper foots and they don't fit. Any suggestions?

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  11:02:48 AM  Show Profile
I have an old Singer from the 50's or 60's. (it is turquoise!!!) but mostly use my one year old very cheap Singer ..very basic machine that only cost around $100 new. I don't do any fancy stitches so either of these work great for me.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  12:10:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a White sewing machine. I also have a serger that I haven't used even once, Pfaff.
I like my White machine - it does some fancy stitches, and I really like the buttonhole attachment 'cause it does perfect buttonholes all by itself. I mostly just use it for straight and zigzag stitching....I'm satisfied and it suits my needs.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  12:35:32 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago my mom and dad gave my sister and I each a loverly new Bernina activa 140/patchwork sewing machine - it's my first machine, and it was SUCH an amazing Christmas surprise! I have to say, I feel so lucky to have this one. I have had no trouble at all with it, and I'd recommend it to anybody. From talking with my sis, she really likes hers, too. Before I had a sewing machine, I didn't really think I'd use it that much, and now, well, it seems like I use it all the time - for fun and for "real."

I've never heard of Janome before, but they sound really nice, too.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  2:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Debbie,
I have a singer machine from about the same time period, I never use the zipper foot, that is different then the reg. presser foot right? I have the box of extra parts that came with it so maybe I have the zipper foot. Is this a good thing, or is the problem bigger then that?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile
You're not going to believe this (since I don't know much about sewing -- which is obvious from my post on the St. Patrick's swap thread ), but I have a Bernina.

Very long story short -- about 16 years ago we moved to a new town and I stopped in a quilt store because they had a gorgeous quilt in the window. It would have been perfect for our bedroom but it was over $500, which I couldn't afford. The owner of the shop told me I could make almost the exact same thing in a $35 class she taught. I didn't own a sewing machine, but she had Berninas in the back room for classes and said I could take one home during the week.

I sewed like crazy & completed my quilt top. The week after I finished, my parents came to visit (we were living in Texas). My dad's mother had been an avid quilter, but my mom never sewed a stitch. My dad had just been diagnosed with cancer when they came to see us. My dad was noticeably surprised and impressed when he saw my quilt top. He died 6 months later, just a few weeks before my birthday. On my birthday, my dh gave me my Bernina, which my dad had asked him (before he died) to give me in case he wasn't there to give it to me himself. It makes me cry to tell it even 16 years (this month) later!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  3:12:03 PM  Show Profile
PATTI
Wow what sad happy story, and what for thought of your Father for you.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  3:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay Patti -- now I'm sitting here crying. That is just the sweetest story!

I have a Singer that I got about 4 years ago. It works great but I'd sure love to have an embroidery machine.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  4:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Patti..what a sweet story. I just love things like that...they mean so much!! And you are making great use of it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2006 :  11:01:10 AM  Show Profile
WOw, Patti! What a great dad you had. And to have something very tangible to remember him by is so special.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2006 :  12:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
What do you think about a refurbished machine? I've found a refurbished Janome machine specifically for quilting. For example it has a walking foot and extras like that for under $200. It is being offered by a well known company and with a 5 year limited warranty. It sounds like a great deal but I haven't bought a new sewing machine in years. I haven't quilted before but it's something I've always wanted to do. I've done plenty of other types of sewing, making clothes, stuffed animals, etc. and love to do that type of sewing. Does it sound like a deal to you more knowledgable ladies?

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2006 :  09:38:08 AM  Show Profile
I was just talking with my mum, and she has a new Pfaff, and she loves having the automatic needle threader, but she feels that Berninas run smoother. She doesn't use it a lot, but she does like it... - just another little bit of info.

My grandmother purchased a refurbished old, old, OLD Pfaff - she is an amazing seamstress - really a professional - and it was great for her. She bought it in around 1948 and it ran until 1960. Not bad, eh! She replaced it with another used Pfaff in 1960 and it is the one she still uses!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy,

Checking out websites today to try and find a zipper foot. Thanks for your advice.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  09:35:36 AM  Show Profile
A refurbished machine would probably be just fine. Especially since they give you a warranty. As far as machine attachments -- I have gotten several from a gal on eBay. They are very reasonably prices and work great. I just got a 1/4" foot and a walking foot for lots less than I would have paid from Singer. Here's the link to her store. http://stores.ebay.com/SewStore

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  10:35:53 AM  Show Profile
My husband bought me a Kenmore a few years ago for Christmas. I love it and it's worked great. I also have an ols White in a cabinet that I waqs given after it's dear owner passed on. I have never even turned it on because I don't have the space for the cabinet in my house. Someday soon... At any rate, on either machine, I MUST learn how make button holes!!!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  10:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love reading about all these special machines and their stories. I now have my very own Singer featherweight sewing machine too. It was an early wedding present from MaryJane. I'm now in love with sewing!! I've made myself three pillows and three skirts (from a pattern I tested for MaryJanes next Stitching Room Work Book). I'm so thrilled with my projects. I now see what all the fuss is about. Thanks MaryJane!!

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  07:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Well guys, I did it. I ordered the refurbished Janome quilting machine last night. I hope I love it. I think I have 30 days to return it so I plan to sew my heart out for a while with it. I also picked up some flannel for $1.00 a yard on clearance. Just saw a print that I liked and then picked up some solid purple because I love purple and then three more solids that coordinated with the print. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the fabric but I couldn't pass up the price. I have tried to use colored pencils and markers and stuff like that to spark my creativity but nothing works for me like the magic of fabric. There is nothing like picking up a bolt of fabric and carrying it across the store and matching it with something on the other side. Or bringing it home to find something already in your stash. I just can't wait to start sewing again! I was there looking for sturdy fabric to make dog crate pads out of. The poor dog still doesn't have anything. Although I did find some rag rugs for $.83 that she will like just fine over a pillow.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile
I have a Singer Stylist 534. It's about 27 years old. My mama bought it for me when I took the Singer sewing classes for the whole summer. I love it. I have worked on fancier machines but I still like mine the best. It has a good range of basic stitches and can do a button hole. That's what I need it to do.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure if my machine will do a button hole~~
Was talking to some gals and they suggested buying off e-bay...I dont know how I feel about that~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  5:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi:

I have a New Home machine. It's about 24 years old and I hope it keeps going! It was one of the first memory computer machines out at the time. However; I rarely use the fancy stitches. My sister started me in sewing when I was about 9 years old. We both still sew and make quilts by hand. We once pieced a quilt by mail for our younger sister's wedding. It turned out great. I started sewing on a machine in school on a Singer and my mom later bought a Kenmore. Both machines were really nice.. All you really need in a machine is forward, backward, and one that you can do a buttonhole with. Just keep at it. If something turns out reallllllly bad, cut it up and make a quilt!
Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What kind of sewing machine do you have? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page