katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  4:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Well it's that time of year again, when we start putting our gardens to bed, and in my case already thinking about next year's garden and what new plants I want to try planting.....but for now, I will place the last of my gourds, and squashes out on the front steps...I have pulled out the rest of the plants, tomatoes, turnips etc & put them out for the deer,. which are/have been grazing quite contentedly on our property as well as the property across the road.
Yep, it's Fall.....the winter clothes are coming out,summer ones being put away and the hub's & I are enjoying our evening cup of coffee on the balcony,bundled up of course,, watching the migrating birds as well as the silly little quails that are running by our windows,,,,,they really are entertaining.
The leaves are almost all off the trees and I am content to spend more time in my sewing room.
Yep, it's that time of year again.
To celebrate, I have made a couple more aprons & sent them on their way to friends.....now it's time to make a couple more for myself.I call them my hearvest/barn goddess & clothes pin apron...you can take a peek at them on my blog.

Ok off to bake up some yummy chocolate muffins for the hub's & I to snack on this evening w/our coffee.
farmgirl hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Oct 08 2009 4:44:05 PM

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  5:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kat,
I did a couple garden beds today.. so sad to say good-bye to them... However, I do have my cold frames planted :)

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  10:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rene'
one of these days I will venture out into the wide world of Cold Frames, but for now I will sit quietly at my window and dream of all the veggies I someday will be able to grow....speaking of veggies, have you been taking your share of vita-C to speed up your recovery time from that yucky flu of yours.
hugz

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile
I have garden cleanup still to do. About all that is left in the garden to harvest now is onions, some swiss chard and herbs..the rest is toast..we have had frost quite a few times over the past couple weeeks. I don't have cold frames..that is a dream of mine though. I would love to build a small greenhouse. My grandma had a very cute very small one when I was a kid that I would love to duplicate here. Maybe next year. For now..canning up the tomatoes is keeping me very busy. I always plant about 4 times more than we need..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  1:00:00 PM  Show Profile
hahah! oh Jenny,,,,don't we all(plant to much).....
I swear I have tomatoes coming outta my ears or so I thought untill I saw the size of Heather's garden and tomato patch.... hahaha! she'll be canning & freeze for the next few months!
hugz

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  12:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, mine is all done,,,sniff sniff...what a sad sight it is too..all barren, well almost barren...all that
is left is/are my blueberries, a few herbs(mints & oregano & sage) and strawberries... it's like Rene' said, it's sad to have to say good-bye....but next year brings a new garden and new dreams of the plants to come.
In the mean time my compost pit is getting huge!.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  09:32:09 AM  Show Profile
Here in Florida, it is time to put the summer garden to bed, and make way for the winter garden. So soon the peppers and tomatoes will go, and the broccoli and cauliflower and sugar snaps will come. I think I like my winter gardens best of all (except I love tomatoes!).

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic It's That Time of Year.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page