Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning question: extra bubbles in sugar free jam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning question: extra bubbles in sugar free jam Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  10:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I've started making most of my jam either with splenda or totally without sweetener, and I noticed that the jam is more...bubbly?...than it used to be. It looks as though it spatters up a bit inside the jar when it's processed. Not sure I'm describing it very well, but it just doesn't look as nice as I would like it too.

Has anyone seen this before? What did you do about it? I know that you can add butter or margarine during the stovetop cooking process to reduce foam on top, but I don't do that because so many of my friends are allergic to either dairy or certain additives in certain brands of margarine. It would get too complicated to keep track of exactly what went into which jars that I'm trying to not add anything at all if I don't absolutely have to.

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  6:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Amie, I don't have any canning experience with sugar free products yet but do make a lot of freezer jams sugar free and experience the very same thing. The bubbling and light color remain even after thawing. It has to be something with the sweetener because my drink packets such as protein mixes and instant teas all do the same thing too and it takes a long time for the bubbles to settle.

So far the only way I've been able to get the bubbles reduced (but not eliminated) is to leave the jams on the counter and give them a good rap every hour or so to break some of the bubbling befor freezing. Haven't tried adding any fats because I've had gastric bypass and really watch my fat intake carefully--it is rare for me to add any extra fats to food I'm eating myself. But that is an interesting idea.

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning question: extra bubbles in sugar free jam Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page