Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone raise chukers? Next Topic  

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  4:56:29 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and sil help raise the birds and they are in the pheasant family. I was just wondering if anyone on here raises them for food.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  7:16:13 PM  Show Profile
I used to have chukers, and once in awhile I will see some in the fields that have survived in the wild, but for me, alot of work with little return ( not much meat), so I don't anymore.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  7:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, the man they do the work for incubates them. Is that what you did? I know they don't get very big, so I understand the small meat quantity. I was just giving it a thought.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  05:51:26 AM  Show Profile
I've not done chukers but I did quail and am going to again in the spring. My dad used to hunt chuker and even though small they were very good to eat. If you decided to raise them let me know and we could trade some quail for chukers for our freezers.
We just went out to dinner this past Friday at Jalapeno Tree and my son had quail kabobs. LOL They were really good just never have seen them on a menu before. I would love to try chuker kubobs, and how fun to say it. LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  07:20:17 AM  Show Profile
I have done Chuckers and pheasants and quail. I just let them go when they were old enough I see some of the off spring from them every year. The population has increased by twice since I did it. I don't raise them to eat them but to enjoy in the wild. It seems any thing I try to raise for food in the animal kingdom I make it a pet and I wouldn't think of eating it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
I bought day olds from a mail order poultry co, I could have bought fertile eggs, but day olds were easier for me. Another reason I didn't like them is they are very explosive in a coop, you walk in and they loose it and almost kill them selves to get away.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone raise chukers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page