Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Wanting to learn more.. organic vs natural
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wanting to learn more.. organic vs natural Next Topic  

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Hiya Farmgirls!

I have been pondering on this... what is the difference between organic and natural? And not only pertaining to food because there is organic fabrics and also natural.

... long ago, I used to wonder about vegetarian food and had learned along the way that there are many differences in that category... such as, some are strictly vegies only.. others include dairy, etc.. so vegetarian means something but is broad in its spectrum.

I want to learn the differences of organic and natural.

Thanks a BIG heap!
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile
My definition is , natual is grown raised with out any interferance by man/women at all, it is what nature throws at it period. Organic is anything that has been helped along with man/womens help that is not artifical, i.e. chemicals and or drugs.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:54:34 PM  Show Profile
The FDA regulation of the terms Natural and Organic are very loose. According to most food packages High Fructose Corn Syrup in considered "natural". According to a very loose definition the FDA says natural is anything that doesnt contain Artificial ingredients and is minimally processes. Typically Organic means it is grown without pesticides, hormones and is not genetically engineered. Again though regulation of this terms is not all that great.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  6:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i consider anything that is man altered or has chemicals in it to not be organic. Organic foods, you can usually pronounce all the words that are on the label and usually do not have near as many ingredients in them as chemically altered foods. Organic is much healthier for you too. I don't like to put alot of chemicals in my body because they lead to cancers and a whole lot more. I live on a Dairy farm, were are all organic on the farm too. To get my milk my BF goes to the milk house and gets the fresh milk and we enjoy that knowing exactly where it comes from. Its also to know where your food comes from too. Many people over look some of the crap they put in foods. Alot of foods have fillers and your not getting what your paying for. Some of the organic foods are more expensive but for the most part your getting what you pay for.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  03:39:27 AM  Show Profile
In the truest sense, organic is anything that can be broken down and returned back to the earth. The word has been bastardized to mean "green", Hippie , P C and earthy. So be sure to really read product labels and research what the company is hyping.

In terms of food the defiition means no pesticides or genetic alterations have been used in the growing and processing of said item. Items sold under this label must undergo strict regulations to assure no contamination via wind drift from other farms/food sources. And some other things too I'm sure.

So if I want to sell my eggs as orgainc. They already ARE orgainc, but to be certified orgaic and to receive the special seal, I can't use feed and feed items that have animal byproduct or pesticide in it.

Natural can mean just about anyting and doesn't require strict regualtions for the label. It also means no synthetics were used in the processing and creating of the product.

Vegitarian means no meat. But tofu and other non meat items can still be as unhealthy as red meat if it has chemicals of some kind in it and is not certified organic.

Under this heading there is also Vegan, ovo vegitarian and a few other sub groupings too.

Some folks won't eat red meat but will consume chicken and fish. Other will just eat fish, some won't eat meat al all.

Still others avoid all aniaml products like not wearing leather, won't eat gelatan, won't drink milk, butter or eat eggs.

Some make the switch for health reasons, and where I work, some do it b/c they work with animals and don't feel comfortable consuming aniaml flesh.

Hope this helps

And please, others feel vree to chime in and correct me if I missed something

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  4:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Just to add--organic doesn't necessarily mean cruelty free, either. Many people buy organic (even certified organic) because they think: "healthy" or "Earth Friendly" etc, but there are several companies that have recently been cited for flagrantly abusing these---the most notable being Horizon Dairy--they keep the cows in feedlot conditions but just feed them organic feed!

There are now also "cruelty free" certifications and approvals on some products that show the animal products have come from animals raised humanely. And isn't it sad that there have to be ordinances on this? <sigh>

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  7:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann Im so glad you brought up this topic Ive been wanting to know the same thing and this has helped so much! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  9:07:12 PM  Show Profile
It has for me too, Karen

(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  03:39:16 AM  Show Profile
And along this same vein.....there is also as HUGE difference between pastured and free range too! I believe this may apply to beef, poultry and more recently, pork.

So for example: Technically any chicken house can label itself "free range" even if they just pop the door open and allow chickens to go outside (which many do not -and choose to stay inside crammed in those row houses by the 10 thousands....seriously). Versus pastured which means access to grass, sun, all kinds of bugs, all the time.

So yea, read those labels, research those companies and continue to buy locally whenever possible! I would feel better buying stuff from a friend knowing what was in my food and where it came from versus some faceless comapny, say in Vermont that shipped my "free range" eggs 6 weeks ago.

Just for kicks while we are on this subject, for any of you who have the time. Take an egg you can get from yourself or a buddy who sells eggs from their farm, then go to the store and buy one of those 4.00 a carton "free range" organic eggs that probably came from a "farm" at least 100 miles or more from where you live right now, crack each egg open and really look to see which yolk will be the darkest, orangest and probably the tastiest.

It kills me to read milk and egg cartons to see what picture the name of the "farm" is supposed to conjure up.

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile
wow Anna!
Thanks for the wealth of the above information! I am always excited when I learn new thing... aaaaaaaand truly get what is being said. Most of time I get feed information which I know sound all bunch of baloney! (No offense to baloney! heheehe)

(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wanting to learn more.. organic vs natural Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page