Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  10:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey there my fellow Collegiate farmgirls!

Tell us a little about yourselves!

Traditional (Right out of highschool and straight through) or Non-Traditional? What's your major? How far through are you? What classes are you taking? Love/Hate any professors? What classes are you excited/worried about?

Let's stick together this semester and perhaps we can help each other out along the way!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  10:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay so-

I am a Non-Traditional student. I am still working on completing my first 4 year degree of Accounting. Due to finances, moving and waiting for state residency, I have completed roughly 2.5-3 years of school (Maybe more I loose track) but I was originally an English major until I realized that I wasn't going to be able to do much with that. So I switched to Accounting with an English minor.

I am taking:

Finite Math 143 (Pre-Calc)
Business Writting
Financial Accounting
Macro Economics

I am actually not too worried about this semester- once I get a proper calculator for my math class. They don't teach how to do two of the sections the long way (by hand) and expect you to have a snazy calculator. I guess ours is about 10 years out of date and doesn't do things the way they want it done which is why I pulled a D last semester (Out of only 5 sections, I did poorly on 2. *Sigh*).

I really don't like the professor that teaches the accounting class. He is rude and looks down on the students. I was hoping to be able to take the class from someone else, but he is the only choice. Oh well! I'll just sit in the back and make the best of it.

All of my classes are online with the exception of the Accounting class.

How about you all?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  3:37:53 PM  Show Profile
well, i'm not attending right now... i finished my General Studies associate's degree in May!

I was a non-traditional student, which was very strange at first. i'm 28 and still consider myself to be young. but to be in among students right out of high school was an eye-opener to how much i'd changed and grown since being out of high school for 10 years. it doesn't take long!

I had decided to go to the community college in cheyenne, wy (30 miles from my house) because i was having a hard time finding a government job after i got out of the navy. luckily my hubby did find a good job, which allowed me to go to college full time and take advantage of my G.I. Bill. i also got 33 credits from my job in the navy, so i didn't have to go to college very long, about 1 1/2 years is all it took me to get that degree.

i remember my first semester i thought i wasn't going to make it! i had english and writing all those papers was tough! i didn't expect to do well, but i got A's in all of my classes. so i decided i wouldn't drop out of college because i'd worked so hard and done well and i wanted some sort of degree to show for it (when i started i didn't know what i wanted a degree in, so i picked general studies... it's not the most useful degree, but it gets the core classes out of the way and allowed me to take a variety of classes to see what i liked).

but after i received my degree, i decided i just wanted to stay at home and be a farmgirl . . . it's alot of work in itself! i don't think i could possibly work and do everything i do at home at the same time. plus, we live far from town and i'd have to get a good job to make up for the cost of gas to drive to work every day. problem is, the careers i'm interested all involve traveling, and i'm not ready to be away from my hubby and sabatoge our healthy marriage. i'm just not interested in anything that stays in one place, so i made my choice to get married first and i want to stick with it...

i'm happy just being a farmgirl and working at home to ensure DH and i are healthy, happy, and comfortable.

but i have to say, i did love school! i might not have loved all the work i put into it and the stress and long hours of homework and research (that wasn't always worth it to me), but i really feel it was worth it just to receive some sort of college education, even if i never use it. it just feels good. and no one can ever take that away from you.

i learned something in all my classes, but i'd say humanities and u.s. history were my favorites! i discovered a whole new passion from humanities by learning about art, especially rennaissance art. only 2 of my teachers frustrated me, but in the end, some of those frustrations taught me alot. the rest of my teachers were wonderful!

so if any of you collegiate gals need motivation or anything, let me know. it can be daunting for anyone new to college!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  07:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I'm a non-traditional student attending school for fashion design. I feel that being older gives me an advantage over a lot of the other students and I really apreciate my education. My kids give me great incentive to get this done and do it well.

Art schools run on a quarters system and I have 10 quarters or 2.5 years left, if I continue with only 4 classes. I would like to add more classes each quarter to get through faster, but my funding and grants wont stretch that far. Righet now, we are finishing up the summer quarter and I am taking:
Draping and Pattern Making II
Construction II
Fashion Design II
Geometry

Starting in October with the fall quarter I will be taking
History of Western Art I
Fabics and Textiles I
Fashion Trends II
Fashion Illustration III

My biggest struggle in school is being away from my babies. They are staying with my parents while I do this and I miss them like crazy. I know that with out an education I have nothing to offer them, but its still difficult. When I finish school I want to either work in London on a design team, or costume for the movies in Wilmington NC. Since I have several friend who are film majors, costuming is looking increasinly more likely.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Corrine! You are doing a fabulous job! I know being away from your kiddos is hard, but at least they have your great parents to be there for them! Do you use SKYPE to stay in contact with them when you can't see them face to face?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  12:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
my family and i are ALL on the same cell phone carrier, so calling doesn't cost a thing. i talk to the kids almost everyday and my parents text me snapshots everything from lego spaceships to scraped up knees. my parents also do a great job keeping to kids focused and reminding them that this is only temporary. somebody told me just the other day that the kids brag on the fact that thier mommy is in art school.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great that you can call so often! I think you are absolutely wonderful for making sure to be able to be there for the kids in the long run. I know how hard this is for you for the next few years. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  09:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey college farmgirls!

Here are some ways to same on course textbooks!

www.ichapters.com (let me know if you use this one because I can find a coupon code for an additional 10% off!!)

www.chegg.com (rent your books then send them back!)

www.coursesmart.com (another E-book text place. Awesome!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  11:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
i was in college for 3 years up until last month that is. I decided to leave college to pursue nursing classes at a vo-tech school to become an LPN. I am quite interested in the medical field. I was tired of pursuing a degree that was leading me into areas that there was no job prospects. I do love college classes and I see myself always taking a class here or there just to be fresh up on my thinking. i never really had one prof I didn't get along with. I commuted my last two years to a local state college my freshman year I was living on campus at a private college 5 hours from home.

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  7:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I have one year of bible school and then I got married and babies. Monday I will be going into a CNA program. Yikes! 30 years since I have been in school, I hope I remember how!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Julia on Oct 02 2009 6:59:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  10:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julia you will do great! I know you will!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  09:02:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm one semester away from having my Bachelors in Accounting. I got to my senior year and got really sick with Lupus, so I've never finished. I hope maybe someday I'll be able to.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #722
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the links, Alee. I'll have to see if I can get my Fabrics and Textiles book through on of those sources. For the most part I havent been buying books. I'm broke and just use the ones in the library or borrow them from friends, but this course demands a book. It is a workbook that comes with a package of fabric swatches that have to be identified and pasted in.

-Brenda Ueland

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  09:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hope you can find it cheaper at one of those places. Another hint is to get the ISBN number and type that into Google. Sometimes you can find it cheaper that way!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey College Gals! Hows it going? I just sent off an assigment via email and am waiting to hear from one of my professors. Then I have math, economics and accounting to study! I feel like I get one assigment done only to realize the wolf is at the door for another class! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  1:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Phew! Just finished my Economics exam. Yikes! Glad that is over and I got a decent grade on it!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Half way through my CNA training. We had our final today and I got 100%. I was floored! It has been a really stressful 2 weeks for me. So much info crammed into that time. Monday we hit the floor and put it all into practice. We start with 2 residents and at the end of these next 2 weeks we will have a total of 5. Then the state test. Oi!!!!! I need a massage!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  11:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Julia! That is a FAST paced course! I am impressed!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  3:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
awesome, julia!

-Brenda Ueland

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic COLLEGE Farmgirls!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page