melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  3:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Will be away for some time. I will check back soonest.

Always,

M

Edited by - melody on Oct 02 2009 07:59:38 AM

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  3:17:45 PM  Show Profile
My mom had shingles real bad on her left side back & breast, she was so sick for days I had to put the cream on her and I tried to be gentle but I know it hurt her, she was so sick it made me sick. My neighbor Clayton just got over it. His wasn't as bad as my moms but I know he was in pain also. I had a small patch on my side so I could deal with it. It is no walk in the park. I hope you get better soon. I'll say a prayer for your quick recovery.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  3:31:01 PM  Show Profile
My dh had very painful shingles and our doc tried something that he admitted was strictly experimental. He injected along the nerve with novocaine (common freezing) and told dh to come back in four hours and he would do it again. It worked...he was shingle free in 24 hours, quite unbelievable.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Both my 90~year~old mother and my husband had shingles a couple years ago. Mom has never been the same and is in a nursing home now. I know how debilitating it can be. Want you all to know that you can get a vaccine to prevent it but you have to be at least 60 years old and it costs (in my area) $200. When I saw hubby and mom go through it, I ponied up that money as soon as the vaccine became available to me. Keeping you in my thoughts Melody. Hope yours is a mild case.

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile
aaaawww Melody. {{{HUGS}}}

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:11:40 PM  Show Profile
OUCH, I am so sorry about the shingles.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:15:47 PM  Show Profile
That is awful! Anyone out there who has had chicken pox and is older now, perhaps taking a shingles vaccine is not a bad idea.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 01 2009 5:16:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:37:22 PM  Show Profile
Melody:
Take care of yourself. Keep us posted on your progress.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  6:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Too late for the shingles innoculation according to my doctor, supposed to have it before an episode presents itself. It is very debilitating and personally it feels as though an elephant is sitting on my back. I thought it was pleurisy or something wrong with my heart...I have never had this before. Scared me good.

I have always found support here on this forum, which is a continuous blessing to me. Thank you ladies....makes me want to cry.

I just had my boy help me make my bed, I panicked and washed everything stem to stern including my pillows when I got home from the clinic. I will have a good night's sleep. Thank you for your kind thoughts and warm wishes.

Always,

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  6:45:24 PM  Show Profile
I've been told that shingles can come back so you may, in the future, want to get the vaccine. My husband plans to do that so it doesn't happen to him again. Glad you have your boy to help out. Sleep tight, Sharon

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  7:15:51 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear you are having such a terrible time. You take good care of yourself.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Oct 02 2009 08:21:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Karin dear! I was always told what goes around comes around. I find some comfort in that. But, you know, I wouldn't wish Herpes Zoster on my worst enemy. It hurts.

Take care dear heart.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how much it hurts, not from my experience, but from my hubs. He had it a few years ago on his right arm - and I must admit I kept telling him to put calamine lotion on it - I thought it was poison ivy as he had been in the yard pulling weeds. Finally I took him to the doctor who diagnosed with shingles and gave him all kinds of meds. I felt guilty for a long time. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Boss #2 sounds like a jerk!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  11:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Owie! I have seen my mom and sister go through this! Ouch! We were told that if you have had chicken pox in the past- you can have a Shingles outbreak at anytime because it's the same virus just the outbreak acts differently when you are older!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  04:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Remember that if the sites are open and draining then you are contagious to anyone else. Make sure you are washing your hands extra to keep the infection risk down. God bless you and hope they go away soon. lots of luck to you.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  07:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I hope you have a speedy recovery Melody.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Melody! I am praying for the Lord to take away the pain and discomfort.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  08:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Shingles certainly are no walk in the park. I had an unusual case of them. I had them on the left side of my face and inside my mouth down my throat and on my tongue. It was torture. I have never in my 60 years of life taken pain meds for anything, but for that I did. My mouth was just horrible. Then just when I thought they were going away, I got ramsey hunt syndrome. It is similar to bells palsy but is worse. The left side of my face was completely paralyzied. I had therapy with the electric current on my face for a month and facial exercises it slowly came back. it was an awful experience. I had them earlier this year and it took a long time for me to start feeling normal again actually just the last few weeks and I had them in late spring. I feel very sorry for anyone who has them I hope you feel better soon.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  10:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Ouch! So sorry to hear this. My kid sister had this when she was around 7 and it was bad! She got it on her face and down around her legs and genitals and it was no fun! Back then (she's 46 now) the doctor worried about it getting around her chest and back area as he said it could affect her breathing and that it really worried him. After much pain and care, she got over it, but she remembers it to this day.

I hope you get well soon. Will be praying for you.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Not a fun thing to have I hear. Hope they go AWAY!!! very soon and you feel better. Will be thinking of you.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  4:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Melody... you know your farmgirl sisters are praying for you ... I know I had a point in my life whe I was in alot of pain. and had very few people around ... please remember we are here for you ...

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Away on sick leave Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page