Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  09:55:01 AM  Show Profile
I know that uses for baking soda are abound, but I had this great idea last night to use baking soda in the bathtub to soften the water - not a new idea, but a good one - AND, while I was in there, I made a little paste of baking soda and water and used it to exfoliate my face, hands and feet. It really worked well! Very gentle, and I'll definitely do that one again!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  10:27:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie, you sound nice and rested today. I'm going to get a large box of baking soda from Costco just for my bathroom, after reading your post. I thought how great I can dump some down the drain and scrub the sink with it every couple days, use it in the tub and quickly swipe the sides out when I'm done with the bath to make it sparke and it will be perfect to help keep the drain in there in good condition. Oh and not to mention the tooth polish trick. I love this website.

HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  11:59:38 AM  Show Profile
There are some sites on baking soda uses that go on for pages. Just Google "baking soda" and you'll be reading for days. It and Borax are such natural wonders.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  7:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I use baking soda and borax for EVERYTHING now. After my last cleaning episode w/ chemicals (burning throat) for days, that was enough for me. To clean all the "junk" from my well h2o, I use palmolive dish detergent w/ my borax or b-soda and it's great. I mix them for my whites when doing laundry and they come out nice & white. I USED to be a bleach nut. not anymore.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  9:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Im also buying a box for my bathroom!! Ahhh the wonders of baking soda!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  11:02:12 AM  Show Profile
It's so good to be reminded of the "oldie-but-goodie" things that are around, isn't it? I hadn't thought of mixing borax, baking soda and dish soap, but we have really hard water here, and I think I'll give that one a try, too.

Holly - yes- I was able to get a very nice sleep/rest/pampering the other night, and I SO needed it! Thank you for noticing!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  09:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Ooo! Never thought of using it as an exfoliate. Be getting a big box for my bathroom too. I have been adding it to my load of kitchen towels, and it has helped keep the second day sour smell away.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2006 :  10:12:11 PM  Show Profile
One of the jobs I had to earn my allowance was to clean the bathroom. I don't know when I decided it, but there came a day when I was sick of using all the chemical cleaners and switched to baking soda and vinegar. Well! Wouldn't you know it, the grimy sink (courtesy of gardener dad)cleaned up BETTER and FASTER with a baking soda paste than it ever did with Fantastic (or whatever cleaner was there). Armed with that knowledge, I was able to switch my Mom over. (My Dad is still convinced Fantastic is the way to go... We just don't tell him we re-clean up after him...) -Cat
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlinthesand
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

maggie
Williston Fl
USA
38 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
It is a fantastic deodorant too! We keep a baggie of baking soda on the bathroom counter. Pinch some up and rub it on.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  1:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Okay, and it's baking soda's multitude of uses yet again -- I was asking my mom what she put in the baking soda that we used to brush our teeth with when we were younger, and she said that it was a mixture of baking soda, a little table salt and a few drops of peppermint or lemon extract (I'm guessing that you could use peppermint or lemon essential oil, also). I just loved it - we each had our own little ceramic dish of "tooth powder" in the bathroom (with a lid, of course), and I remember getting my toothbrush wet, but not too wet, and dipping the bristles in the powder then brushing my teeth. I'd forgotten about it until recently, and now I've made myself up a batch, and I love it!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  2:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I use to brush my teeth with baking soda all the time. Then I starting getting so thirsty I couldn't stand it. All I wanted to do was guzzle water and even when my stomach was so full it sloshed, I was still thirsty. Finaly, I figgured out it was the baking soda! I do miss that truely clean feeling that can only come from a good baking soda brushing.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  10:44:14 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't thought of the sodium issue! Maybe I'll use it every other day or so!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  10:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I just keep on brushing with the baking soda powder...it helps me get the water my body needs. I am not sure if I am going way over the RDA of sodium or not....but my teeth feel great. I have alot of allergies and sensitivities and most commerical toothpaste is full of junk.
Love
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile
Would you please tell the portions that you use to add it like bleach? I am very interested in switching just to save the life of my clothes. You know how harsh bleach is on fabric. Thank you for the great tip Libbie.

PlumJoy

Edited by - PlumJoy on Nov 04 2006 11:23:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Joy - you can use around 1/2 C. of baking soda and/or Borax in the wash cycle of your laundry, and cut down to about 1/2 your "usual" amount of detergent. I've found that it really helps... I hope it works for you, too!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:24:49 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know the difference between Borax and Borateem? Are they the same? I haven't seen Borax at the store recently but I do see Borateem.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:42:57 AM  Show Profile
I've never seen Borateem, but according to the "20 Mule Team Borax" website, Borateem is a "color safe dry bleach" and Borax is a "laundry booster" for what that's worth!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile
And here's another use for baking soda that I heard from a friend. Around this time of year, all of the furry friends of the field (mice, skunks, raccoons, etc.) want to move into my farmhouse. It's such a hassle - anyway - I was lamenting the fieldmouse issue with a girlfriend of mine, who said that baking soda deters mice. You just sprinkle it anywhere you've seen "evidence" of a mouse - and it's easy to clean up, too - just vacuum. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to either tonight or tomorrow. We'll see how it works. Have any of you ever used baking soda this way? And if so, did it work for you?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile
I use a sprinkle of baking soda in the bottom of our trash cans in the house to take away odor. I use it to clean & shine my pots and pans. I use it to scrub the tub . I uae a little of it in my dishwasher. I also use it in my laundry I brush my teeth with it about once a week.

Last Night I was watching Navy NCIS and one of the agents got poison ivy and the others told him to use a paste of vinegar and baking soda for the itch (suposedly it worked) May need to try it on our next itch.
Our newest use is on our garlic seed before we plant it it is suposed to help fight fungus. We used 2 heeping TBS per gallon of water and 2 heaping tbs of liquid seaweed to promote root growth.

I keep borax and baking soda in shaker / pour bottles for convenent cleaning around the house. I have a spray bottle of vinegar and a little dawn dish soap for spraying counters etc.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  07:16:59 AM  Show Profile
When my children were small, they all came down with the chicken pox within two days of each other! Needless to say, we had a lot of scratching going on. I mixed up a thick paste of baking soda and warm water and they had a blast in the tub putting it on their "booboos" and letting it dry! Then, I would drain the tub, turn on the shower, and let them rinse off! Since we have two girls and two boys, we let the same gender do it together so they could put the paste on each others backs and hard to reach spots! They would tell me when they needed to get in the tub for another round of paste! I knew the itch was going when they didn't ask as often. I know that babypowder keeps ants away, but I'd never heard of baking soda for mice! Thank you for the new tip! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  08:00:01 AM  Show Profile
I never heard the baby powder for anys thing before.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  2:52:03 PM  Show Profile
I need to buy a huge box of baking soda next time we go to Sam's Club! I have been reading and reading about the great things you can do with baking soda. I am trying to get rid of all the chemical stuff in our house (cleaning, laundry, beauty products, etc.) and baking soda will just about replace everything! That along with a huge bottle of apple cider vinegar, white vinegar and olive oil. Amazing!
BB,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Another use for baking soda... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page