Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic YIKES!! fruit flies Next Topic  

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  05:45:05 AM  Show Profile
With this being pickling,canning,etc season-I am over run with fruit flies. They are every where. Any good suggestions on a remedy? I try to keep all veggies and fruit in the frig/all waste out of the house but they keep appearing!!

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile
I'll be watching this thread closely!!! We're overrun too, N@n and my husband is about to move me to the barn with all the produce LOL

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I had that earlier this month, turned out to be some potatoes in a cupboard that they weren't supposed to be...apple cider vinegar with a piece of banana in it to attract them did it for me (after I found the potatoes and got rid of them).

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35618
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  07:38:32 AM  Show Profile
So did they just drown in the vinegar then? I'm pouring a bowl of it after work!!!! :)

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  08:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Yes. I stuck a piece of doublesided tape across the bowl also but it wasn't very effective.
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile
We had fruit flies too. Here's what we did...take a 1 liter soda bottle and cut off the top. Turn the top upside down and duct tape it to the bottom half. Pour apple cider vinegar into it (about 1/4 cup) and leave it on the counter! The flies get in, and stay there!

http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GoldenSeal
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Crystal
Vermilion Alberta
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  12:51:05 PM  Show Profile
I just put fruit in a small cup and then put surran wrap over the top. Poked a couple holes in it with a tooth pick, and viola they will get in following the smell of the food but then they can't get out.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  11:45:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try something here.....our fruit flies are gross and big and taking over the world....at least in my kitchen! LOL

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  6:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all, I'm trying all of it and my husband also read to spray the air with an alcohol/water mixture which will kill the little buggers as they fly. So far, I have a lot of dead fruit flys floating in 2 liter ginger ale bottle filled with vinegar, dead fruit flies on a banana peel in a bowl of vinegar, and lots of live flying fruit flies in the kitchen. Maybe I will just name them all and make them pets!!! Thanks for the suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  5:29:52 PM  Show Profile
What works for us (after trying many forms of sweet liquidy traps) is to suck them up with the vacuum hose, you at least get all of them for a while. I've been doing it once a week since the end of summer and the difference is amazing. Colonies will pop back in, but I arm myself with my purple & grey wand of bug death and go at it :D

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  06:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, so far pretty good. I only see a few fruit flies and I still have the pop bottle/vinegar thing on the window sill and I make sure the fly swatter is at hand and swat everything in sight when in the kitchen. It's all working.

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  08:30:28 AM  Show Profile
We are STILL overrun...even with the liquid traps. I guess the wand of bug death gets a try around here. They really are driving us crazy!!! :)

Go to Top of Page

Painted Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Stacey
Moscow Idaho
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  5:26:01 PM  Show Profile
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies

I know that by now all these buggers are gone due to the climate change but I had a hard time with them myself this year! I found this site that might be helpful for you next year. Get a load of the picture though, maybe want to rethink the keeping them as pets idea! ~Stacey

Painted Farmgirl #666

Your body is a temple, but how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate?
~Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  11:02:37 PM  Show Profile
This may sound gross, but after I have gotten rid of anything they would feed on-waste, make sure to keep all dishes clean ASAP, etc. Um.....if they land some where I smack them and kill them with my hand. They like my white cabinets and my bathroom mirror the most to land on. I just wait for them to settle (they fly around if they see you) once they settle I smack any I can catch. (yeah a bit bloody on the mirror and cabinets, and maybe gross too). Then I wait again for them to settle and do as many as I have time for. I find it greatly reduces them quickly! haha I wash my hands/mirror/cabinets thoroughly afterwards. They are too fast to use anything but my hands though to kill them with.......so a little nasty. But, I hate them. And it seems when we get them we don't get one or two we get a house full and they like to bite me! UHG!

We just had a problem with them last week! UHG!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  12:59:37 PM  Show Profile
I read it somewhere maybe here put cider vingar in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, poke a few small holes in it and it works really really well. I will always use this technique now. You will be surprised at how well it works. Apparently they can get in by smelling but they can't find the way out. It's clean, neat & cheap and works great!!! You can actually put a few dishes out if you need to and hide them behind plants or pictures. I really love this one can you tell?

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic YIKES!! fruit flies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page