laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  12:01:17 PM  Show Profile
I looking for a recipe for Apple Brown Betty. Back when I was a teenager back in the late fifties and early sixties Mom baked up some Apple Brown Betty. She lost the recipe along time ago. Checked my numberous cookbooks and recipes but haven't found one yet. Thanks in advance.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Found it in "The American Woman's Cook Book" 1942 edition, pg. 544
Brown Betty

This pudding is usually made with apples, but almost any other fruit may be used instead of or in combination with them. Peaches, apricots and rhubarb are especially good. Serve hot with cream or with any preferred sauce, or without a sauce.

No. 1.
1/4 cup melted butter
1 pint bread-crumbs
1 pint sliced apples or fruit
Cinnamon or other spices
1/2 cup fruit-juice or water
1/2 cup sugar or molasses
Juice and grated rind of a lemon or orange, if desired

Arrange layers of buttered crumbs and thin sliced apples in a pudding dish. Sprinkle each layer of fruit with sugar and a little cinnamon or other spices. Finish with a layer of crumbs and pour fruit-juice or mixed molasses and water of the top. Cover and bake in a slow oven (250' - 350' F.) for thirty minutes, then remove the cover and bake forty-five minutes longer.

No. 2
1 cup bread-crumbs
3 1/2 apples or other fruits
1/2 cup honey
1 cup water
1 apple, washed, cored and sliced to form rings

Mix he crumbs and chopped apples or other fruit and place in a deep baking-dish. Bring the honey and water to a boil and pour over the fruit and bread mixture. sprinkle a few dry crumbs on top and lay the apple rings around the edge. Bake in a slow oven (250' -350' F.) as directed for No. 1

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Melody June. Mom made the first one I think it sounds like what we used to have. Going to try it.
Laurie

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  06:27:54 AM  Show Profile
That sounds yummazing good!
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  07:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Laurie now you have me curious. I've never made nor eaten this. I have a cook book from a little gal in England and when I read her book they make a bread type desert but they call it pudding. It is steamed in a pudding bowl (crock bowl) or a pudding steamer (metal type bowl with a lid that snaps on). I was so intrigued I went on a search for the bowl and the metal one so I could try their pudding. I love how they have our words but it means something not like we use it for.
I saw that this is done in a pudding bowl so is it a pudding or something like what we call a bread pudding? Sweet and moist. I am going to try it now cause it sounds really good.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Melody June, My mom is Scottish and Dad is English. This is like a fruited bread pudding as we know it as. But in England and the British Isles they call it a pudding. I'm not certain but I think it might have oringinated over in England during W.W. II. This is a yummy desert. Mom cooked alot of Scottish and English type foods but also good old American country too.
Laurie

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple Brown Betty Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page