Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile
I got up early this morning mowed the lawn, cleaned the chicken coop, fed and watered them, paid the bills, went down to the mailbox and so on. About 11:30am I got really hungry so I made a sandwich and was headed to the couch to share my lunch with our dog. I looked over and under my dining room window was a snake all stretched out on the carpet (scream). I grabbed the dog and cat locked them in the bathroom, ran out the front door for the shovel. I'm not normally a sissy where these things are concerned but, I HATE snakes. I moved in for a closer look, he or she?? was about 18 inches long but, thankfully was NOT a rattlesnake it was a gopher snake. Not wanting to have to kill it I tried scooping it into a bucket with the shovel but, it was not having any part of that. It kept hissing and striking at the shovel so I pinned down his head hoping just to cut off it's air, scooped it in the bucket and took it outside. Unfortunately I don't think it surrvived
Now, we know to look everywhere for snakes outside but, not in my dining room!!! It must have came in under the screen door, I just can't believe the cat didn't find it. Why in the world would a snake come in the house? I'm still shaking and I just know there will be a few more grey hairs tonight in the mirror. I know snakes are a part of living in the mountains but, no more walking barefoot through the dark downstairs early in the morning. I surely hope that this was one of those once in a lifetime things and it had no relatives following it. Thanks for letting me share my lunchtime scare with you and no I never did eat that sandwich, seem to have lost my appetite.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com

Edited by - Autumn Leaves on Sep 25 2009 2:17:59 PM

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:38:40 PM  Show Profile
Eeeks--I think I'd freak out over a snake in the house too!Sounds like you handled it well--at least it wasn't a great big snake (but it was big enough). the thing I don't like about snakes is that they're too quiet. Eew, I'm, getting shivers just thinking about it!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Thankyou Cindy for validating my fear! I was afraid I acted like a sissy, I can handle a lot just no snakes in the house. It's been several hours now and I'm still jumpy. Went to get some tea and looked before my feet went under the kitchen cabinet edges. I think I'll be a little paraniod for a while.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I would have moved out! Bought a new house and started a new life.
You are my Hero to be able to do that.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Diana, just so you know I told my husband if he did not fix the screen doors so this could NEVER happen again I was moving out!! LOL :) He then informed me he wouldn't sleep until all was secure ( when it comes to snakes he's a bigger sissy than me ).Thanks for making me laugh, I'm starting to relax a little.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  4:35:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh I want no part of that ! It gives me the willies and my dd would already be 4 states away - she has snake radar and just knows when ones around. shes a mile away before you know whats going on! I can handle them just like you did but I sure don't like the in the house part, Good girl you did what you had to, I don't know that I would have taken my eyes off of it, in case it decided to go hide some place else.... never mind bad thought.

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  7:47:38 PM  Show Profile
LOL, thanks for the laughs. I have had my share of snakes getting into the house over the years, including a couple of rattlesnakes. The rattlers are killed period, no matter where I find them, all others are removed as gently as possible, since they do help with the rodent population, and where i live we have alot of rodents, even with snakes and cats and hawks and etc. When ever anyone asks my opinion about doggy doors and cat doors, I tell them only if they want snakes and other varmints comeing in also, lol. be thankful it wasn't a rattler, and oh by the way, more men are afraid of snakes then most women anyday.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  7:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the laugh Jennifer! I think I would've reacted the same way! My youngest son brought his dirty laundry in to me one day, and as I was separating his clothes, I thought I saw his shorts moving. I didn't think much of it until they moved again. So, I decided to check his pockets...I have no idea what made me do that...I found a little garter snake all curled up in the pocket..and it was still ALIVE! When I asked my son (of course, very calmly) why there was a snake in his pocket, he replied, "I brought you a present Mommy, you can feed it burritos like me!" Needless to say, the snake was let back out into the garden, where I'm sure it has happily lived (and multiplied) for the last 4 years! The lesson learned? My children check their OWN pockets now!

http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  08:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I have had 4 snakes in the house over the last few years, 2 were diamond backs and 2 were rat snakes either one was bad....lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  09:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you ladies for all the snake support! Good news is that after today both the front and back doors will be completely snake proof. We slept with towels between the main doors and the screen doors last night just in case. I have basically decided that even if it takes rebuilding those parts of the house that this task will be successful :) I understand snakes are an important part of life's cycle but, they are NOT welcome in the house! So off to the home store....

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  11:55:06 AM  Show Profile
OMG, if I ever got a snake anywhere NEAR my house, I wouldn't have to move, because I would just die on the spot! And in California? I didn't know you had invasive snakes in California!! I always read posts by sisters in the south that have snake problems, but not northern CA! I don't know how you can ever sleep again. That is my total complete nightmare!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  11:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Good night above! I think I would die on the spot if I found a snake in the house! Thank goodness you had the presence of mind to get the dog and cat put away. Maybe his dead body will ward off any other snakes that think your house is open for business.

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
A few days ago I was mowing our lawn when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye so I sort of jerked to the other way and hit something...Yep the end of a snake ... what I saw move was a big frog it was .. gulp.. eating...when I hit it the snake tried to bite me (which I can certianly understand it being peeved as it was now missing a good bit of its end) the frog got loose. By the time I came back with a shovel the frog had hopped away with one less foot. I couldnt find the tail end so I can't go outside without shoes! Man it was creepy!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, Where I live in the High Desert part of Southern California, we are home to the most deadly snake in the western U.S., its a Mojave Green Rattlesnake, it carries both venoms, nuero and hemo types and can kill an adult with one bite within hours if not treated properly and quickly.We also have diamondbacks, southern pacific, hognose and sidewinders, all rattlesnakes.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Eeeks A Snake! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page