Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Long Distance Care for Aging Mother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Long Distance Care for Aging Mother Next Topic  

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi friends -

I really could use some advice from anybody who has an aging parent living many miles away.

I am an only child. My mother (80) lives alone almost 300 miles away. She has been having numerous health problems the last few months, and doesn't let me know what is going on because she doesn't want me to worry.

A few months ago she had a heart problem for a couple of days and finally drove herself to the emergency room. I didn't find out until the next day that she was in the hospital. She didn't have anyone call me because she didn't want me to worry.

This week she was supposed to be away on a trip with the senior citizens. I got an e-mail this morning from the daughter of one of her friends saying how she was sorry my Mom was ill and not able to go on the trip. Of course, I called her right away, and again she has been sick with an intestinal problem for 4 days, been to the doctor, and I didn't know about it. I haven't even called her the last few days because I thought she was off having a good time on a trip with her friends.

I'm really getting myself stressed out over this. She doesn't want me to move back home with her because I have 20 years in at my job with a good retirement program, benefits etc. and I have a special man in my life here as well. However, I am making myself sick worrying about what else will happen that she won't tell me about.

Does anybody else have this situation, and now do you handle it?? I keep telling her that I would rather worry about the truth than worry about what she ISN'T telling me!

Thanks,
Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Is there any chance she could move to your town? I know it would be hard for her to adjust to a new location, but it sounds like it's important to her that you not be uprooted or put to any "bother" so she might like this idea more than the alternative of you moving to be close to her.

Or, perhaps you could arrange with one of her friends to keep you updated (like the email you got from the daughter, but on purpose).
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Even though she is your mother, she is also an independent adult, capable of making decisions. Yes, you will worry, but if she chooses not to inform you, what is your alternative? You can have a neighbor tell you, but then she might stop talking to the neighbor because of it.
I feel for you, and I hope you both find a solution to give you peace of mind.

Hugs,

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Does the town she lives in have senior services, i.e., someone that will call or stop in to check on her, and call you if need be? Move her to an assisted living complex if she is agreeable, that way she still has independence, but help if and when she needs it. Move her to your town, or in with you if thats agreeable with all or possible. Move in a room amte, another senior who she will get along with and they can care for each other when needed.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Long Distance Care for Aging Mother Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page