Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  03:29:44 AM  Show Profile
So I was walking in the woods last night w/ my dog.

She's the best for sniffing out dead things and bones for my collection.

We came across this hunk of unidentifiable meat. A few paces away there was another hunk that had been neatly cut into a few log thick strips, then a few paces more was what looked to be a huge hunk of deer shoulder. I know this from processing pieces of deer people give us.

Troubling thing was. 1. This was on our land 2. the meat was very fresh, still pink and had only the beginnings of flies starting to lay eggs 3. who in their right mind could waste such good meat...even if it's not deer season yet???

So it must have been deposited sometime in the early afternoon

Kind of bothers me to have rotting meat close to where we pass by and walk.

We do have coyote and wild pig all around us. So I'm a little troubled to know big pieces of meat will bring in bigger preaditors.

Our neighbor's dog may wander down and start consuming it. And that's ok. So long as my dog doesn't get the same idea. YUCK!

I think we may bypass this particular area for awhile.

And this is what makes walking in the woods and abandoned fields so much fun......you just never know what you'll find.

This is the same woods where I pick up beer cans and shotgun shells from the resident redneck boy (it's his dog that may wander down.) So it's a pity I can't start to find bills preferably in denominations of 10's and 20's rather than someone elses trash

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  05:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Jeesh! I know how you feel I have people who just drop whatever they may have on our land and no its not ever 10's or 20's either. I might not fuss so much about cleaning it up if it was.hehe Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  06:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Have you thought of reporting the poaching to Fish and Game?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Trophy hunters. Blah. They cut off the antlers and leave the rest. Makes me ill.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
i would report it to the dnr or cops..that means poachers got caught cutting up the deer and just didn't get it all before they had to run

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Anna that is awful!! I would definitely encourage you to report it to your conservation/fish&game department.

I just saw on the news last night where someone killed a black bear (protected animal) a couple of hours away from where we live. They shot it with an arrow and just left it. It made me so sad and angry. Just shot it and left the carcass to rot.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree! This definitely needs to be reported. Chances are that your land is not the only land being poached. This sickens me. I cannot stand hunters without ethics.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  09:31:19 AM  Show Profile
I come from a family of hunters, and we've raised our kids and believe that poachers are NOT "hunters" and people who shoot animals and waste the meat are NOT hunters....Makes me SO mad when people do that!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile
It could be bait, some will set-up bait spots, not just for wildlife, but for pets also. They may have a blind close by. Also, some real sick people will set out poisened meat.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  09:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,

You are right. Poachers are NOT hunters!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

piddlin sweetie
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Vickie
Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  09:52:57 AM  Show Profile
really report to fish and wildlife. As for it being your land do you all have gates at entrances?.. We allow no one on our land.. the only (hunters) is one cousin. NO ONE else. IF i knew my neighbor was what i deem trespassing I would make sure that his parents and him were told that our land is off limits.. Really today no one has respect for others property..
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:26:51 AM  Show Profile
This is not a good thing, nor a safe thing for you! I'm voting with those who suggest you calll it in to Wildlife and Fisheries and any other authority in your area that deals with illegal hunting and tresspassing!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  11:21:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a hunter, as a kid growing up I had to eat what ever dad caught, I reminded him one day that he caught it so he should eat it, I didn't so I didn't think I should eat it. He said ok, but reminded me I didn't catch the ice cream either.
I think I would report it also, just to be safe. You don't know what kind of creep your dealing with. Plus it's your land. They should ask your permission first, and they would if they were nice people.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  03:43:47 AM  Show Profile
There is a gate at the top of the hill, but it's a righ of way for another farmer. So he uses it, the 4-wheelers use it and apparlently anyone else can and does too.

It's a real pain.

And I am indeed extra cautious about poisioned meat for sure! that's what's so scary.

I was told that deer season is open now. Just bow for the moment. OH GOOD! So we are back to walking in the woods wearing blaze orange so WE don't get shot or maimed.

You'd think in this economay how folks wouldn't want to waste anything or perhaps give a share of the wealth to others

But there I go thinking again

We are supposed to have some frineds over this weekend to give their dogs a chance to play.

Guaranteed we'll be playing in another section of woods FAR away.

And it was interesting to note how my dog didn't just dive right in and pick up a piece of meat.. Usually if its something extra smelly and dead she'll put a death grip on it and try to gulp it down at the same time. So perhpas she was picking up on something strange too.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  03:49:54 AM  Show Profile
I'd report it for sure, but now that it is confirmed open season, I'll be laughed out of the county.

It doesn't help my case any that I have a Yankee twang and clearly 'ain't from around here.

We are vigilant about who we see driving around. We pretty much can recognize an out of place vehicle. And as soon as we hear an engine, hubby, me and the dog are at the window.

Pity this had to happen while we were at work

And, we also got news that the above mentioned farmer did indeed shoot one of those wild hogs early yesterday a.m. on his land.

Think if I see him in the next few days I'll inquire about the suspect deer meat.

His kin also come and go on that same right of way.

Meantime,,,,it's blaze orange 'till January 1
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  05:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
That is so sad that someone would kill a deer and waste the meat!

That would upset me having the meat in the woods to attract wild pigs and coyotes! Coyotes live in my area and they scare me to death!

I am sorry that someone did that to you!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  07:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Even if it's open season, here in Montana, it's illegal to waste meat...it's still a crime and HUNTERS don't waste food.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  08:44:51 AM  Show Profile
As far as your right of way gate, this is what my family does in Missouri. Each person that has right away useage has their own lock on the chain that secures the gates, inother words they are linked together, so when you unlock your lock, it opens access for you with out opening all the other locks. This might help you with people opening your gate when they don't have a right to . Good Luck.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  03:36:44 AM  Show Profile
That lock suggestion is a good idea

Thanks!

And I also agree whole heartdly, no TRUE hunter would have wasted good meat like that.

'Course around here, "hunting" means baiting, and that's cheating!

Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl Barb
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Barbara
Chesterfield sc
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  1:06:37 PM  Show Profile
That's awful!

People hunt without permission on my friend's land all the time. I was there one day when a pack of hunting dogs came running through and gobbled up several of her chickens in the process. The dogs were wearing GPS trackers on their collars. We managed to snag one and kept it until it's owners came looking for it a little while later.

Barb J.
www.victoriahillfarm.com
An Urban Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  03:20:04 AM  Show Profile
OH YEA!

Then I would have read those owners the riot act!

We get lost owners wanderig through sometimes
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic wasteful idiots Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page