Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Alternatives to plastic wraps and bags?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Alternatives to plastic wraps and bags? Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  4:09:11 PM  Show Profile
In the interest of going green so that I can:
1. Help our environment and
2. Save money, I decided in the spring to see how much I could stop using plastic wraps and baggies. I hate plastic wrap! It never does what I want it to anyways, lol!!! Baggies I love, but I use way too many of them.
So.... I decided to see how I could change that.
With the baggies, I at least now try to use smaller bags, that helps some.
For plastic wrap it was way easier.
Now, when I have leftovers, I put them in as small a bowl as possible. I then find a dish plate that will completely cover that bowl. Not only does it cover the food adequately, but it gives me a little extra "shelf" in the fridge to put more things on top of!
Every garage sale I've gone to this summer, I've looked for Tupperware. Not, just any plastic, it has to be Tupperware. I've found a lot of 70's colors and containers that have been brand new or at least close to that. Small sizes too that are perfect for husband and I. I use waxed paper more, and even paper towel when things won't be stored for long.
One thing I am looking for is a bread bag. I used to have one... it was a cloth bag lined with plastic for storing home made bread in. I really loved it, but lost it in one of my moves and can't find another one. I'm thinking maybe I could make one....
Please post your tips and hints for things you do so you don't have to use wraps and baggies!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you ever tried oilcloth instead of the plastic?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  6:17:54 PM  Show Profile
In a hurry, I have actually wrapped a sandwich in a cloth napkin. It works. I wash my zip top plastic bags and reuse them. I have even used bread bags to freeze whole tomatoes, bell peppers in. I have used double breadbags to freeze meat. It worked for me.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  7:02:03 PM  Show Profile
I've used wax paper to wrap sandwiches in - sort of like the way you would put a diaper on a baby. Sort of. Anyway, I also have gone to thrift stores to get some glass containers with lids on them for storage - the things from the '50's that our mom's use to use and have also found your Tupperware there as well. You can find a lot of ideas for food storage at thrift stores for cheap.

I also wash all my plastic bags and use a special contraption I got from Lehman's for just drying plastic bags. But you can also find them or something like them at any kitchen store. It really worth it - you wash and re-use all your bags which saves big time $$$$. I've also gotten away from the plastic wraps and only use wax paper in the microwave.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  7:52:52 PM  Show Profile
I use wax paper and glass containers with lids for my leftovers. I to wash and reuse my plastic zip bags.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  9:40:24 PM  Show Profile
here is a link to cloth bags instead of plastic ones. there are tons of variations with fold overs instead of velcro, if you like, all over etsy. Just type in sandwich bag in the search you get pages and pages...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_2&listing_id=31009842

one day, i'll be making my own. for now though we use a lot of reusable tupperware type containers for gosh just about everything!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile
I use a plate over bowls too, and for rectangular baking dishes I use aluminum foil, which I will reuse until it disintegrates. But I must say I use mason canning jars as "tupperware" as they store most everything. They are great for soups, and especially stinky things like raw onion - will now not smell up the fridge. Wide mouth jars are best, you can put most sorts of veg in there.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, on of my best frugal ideas is to save the bag the cereal comes in for freezing. The bags the boxed cereal come in is like waxed paper. I've been using it to freeze things seperately or to line containers when I freeze cookies, that sort of thing. It works really well.
Just too good to throw away. Hope that's helpful, Carol

how sweet it is to love some one, how right it is to care
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful ideas..I have been sondering too!

Farmgirl Sister #368
My Farm and Garden blog....
Is still there, but, Blogger has made it, so, I cannot write on it, and I cannot figure out how to change it,......

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful ideas..I have been wondering too!

Farmgirl Sister #368
My Farm and Garden blog....
Is still there, but, Blogger has made it, so, I cannot write on it, and I cannot figure out how to change it,......

Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  5:24:46 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 sandwich wrappers that I got from reuseablebags.com that I love! They are oil cloth on one side and cotton on the other and are about the size of a placemat. You just put the sandwich (or whatever) in the center and fold it up. There is a velcro closer at one end and ta-da! When you take it out to eat it, you have a nice little placemat to boot! I love them. I also invested in some great glass bowls that have tupperware type lids. We put all of our leftovers in those. And we have some of those take and toss things that I use for my DH's lunch box. Though we just keep reusing them, we don't ever throw them away.

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  03:48:41 AM  Show Profile
We use glass containers with lids for storage and re-heating.

After reading about toxins in heatned plastics I try to avoid doing this.

I'll use and re-use plastic bags for freezing cookies and fruits for canning but that's about it. And even then will re-use the bags until they get holes in them
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Alternatives to plastic wraps and bags? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page