MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile
I am new here but one reason I really wanted to join as I have a question I hope you all can help me out with.

I thought while growing up on a farm with a large family the reason we gardened, canned and preserved so much was to be frugal but I am wondering if it is really more about the goodness and benefit of homegrown vegetable that is really the point in 2006.

I guess here is why I saw this...I went to Wal-Mart to look at the supplies I will need to can green beans and salsa this summer, the pressure cooker alone was $99, I didn't even look at jars and lids then went to Co-op spent $60.00 on fertilizer and planters and that is not even my tomatoes, cucumber, etc cost of plants yet. My little being Frugal bubble was popped over all the money I am spending on all these supplies.

Maybe its just the start up cost of canning that I will just have to get over this first year. I have been thinking this morning I am going to have to get over how much I am spending and think about the fresh vegetables that I will be eating this summer. It just has started to seem like alot of cost to just can for two people.

I went by my grandmother's this morning was exitely (is that a word?! ) telling her about all the seeds and plants I had bought, she then told me gardens were for large families who had time to do all that kind of stuff...so hummm.....oh, well, maybe it would be chaeper to just go to a farmers market when there is only the two of you.

I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions and advise......very much!

Sincerely, Michelle in TN

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile
I know I've read several places that vegetables really aren't grown cheaper than they can be bought. Reasons were given, but I can't remember them all now. That may be true, especially if you factor in your time, but I figure I'd be doing *something* anyway, so I don't look at it that way. Also, I like the idea that I know what I'm eating and that it isn't a ton of pesticides, etc.

The first year we gardened, it was very expensive, what with having to buy some basic supplies, but we've gotten so much use for everything, both while gardening and in other ways, too. Dh is meticulous in his care of tools, so ours stay in very good condition.

I'm needing to stop here -- on ds's laptop and can't type like I want. Good luck, though.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile
First of all, welcome Michelle. You've certainly come to the right place for lots of great tips for your gardening adventures. There are some very knowledgeable folks here.
Although it looks real nice when everything "matches", the plants don't care what they are started in. I have used egg cartons, little plastic cups that yogurt comes in, cut off milk cartons, plastic jugs, etc. The clear plastic "boxes" that pastries, fresh greens, etc. come in make fantastic mini-greenhouses. All for free! I can get 100+ plant labels from one plastic bleach bottle, all brand new and shiny white!
If you get a good compost started and beg some manure from some farmer, your fertilizer costs are zero.
Seeds are cheap when you really think about it. $1.99 for 50 broccoli seeds multiplied by roughly 3lbs of broccoli per plant...works out pretty cheap.
A good canner, while expensive, will do you for your canning lifetime (except for perhaps replacing the rubber ring every ten years or so). Jars are expensive to buy new, but you can usually pick them up at garage sales for next to nothing. And freezer bags are dirt cheap.
And the cost of a warm spring sun on your back while you play in the dirt, the feast for your eyes as you watch your garden grow...it's just priceless.
IMHO, planting a garden has far greater rewards than the cost of any supplies.
Happy spring!
Diane

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  1:48:06 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everything Diane has said. It seems expensive to get started but it will be worth it, I promise. The pressure cooker/canner seems expensive but it has endless uses. The canning jars CAN be expensive but as long as not cracked or chipped can be used over and over, you just have to replace the actual sealing cap which are pretty cheap. As far as plants, start your own seedlings and then collect your own seeds for next years garden. For me gardening is very therapeutic. When I'm out there I can be calm and really enjoy it or if I happen to be upset, I can take it all out on the weeds . Just overlook the initial cost which in all reality is only going to be as expensive as you WANT it to be, and think of the enjoyment you will get.

I was browsing at Lehmans.com earlier and saw something I HAVE to get for next year...http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6058&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=832&iSubCat=839&iProductID=6058

I hope that link works, if not go under the gardening section, then under planting and seeding, it's the little Pot Maker that I want.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  2:10:46 PM  Show Profile
I want to get one of those too, Kristi...seems so logical!!
I agree with all Diane said. I have had my canner for over 15 years and so that $100 was very well spent! As for jars..if you get the word out that you are learning to can and would like to get jars you will have people giving you jars. I get new jars every year from older ladies not canning in quarts anymore, or people who have "grandma's jars" and don't want them, or people who are moving and don't want to move the jars. It would be well worth it to advertise in a "shopper" type paper that you are looking for free or cheap used canning jars with no chips or cracks. You do have to buy new lids each year, and if you don't get rings with those used ones, rings the first year..but you don't need rings for every jar you have. It is best to store things without the rings on them..so you need only enough for a couple canner loads of each size..wide mouth and regular..and then when things have cooled you remove the rings and use them on the next batch. Lids can be bought cheaper in bulk.
I am all for re-using things for planting that you would normally be throwing out. Makes me happy to plant in an old boot, a wooden box I found, or cans or small containers. I use everything I can get my hands on. If you take good care of your leftover seeds they will almost always work for at least another year. I just planted my cukes and some of the tomatoes I will grow this year inside and they were not seeds from this year..they did fine and all came up. Saving seeds is really fun too...and keeps your costs down.
And like Kristi said gardening is theraputic...I love it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  3:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Agree also with Aunt Jenny, Kristi and Dianne. The satisfaction and pleasure of having grown and bottled/frozen your own grown things, knowing what you are eating and knowing that it is fresh, is a great feeling and also one to be very proud of. Jars sitting on a shelf, with little gingham tops on the lids, is a real snuggly loving feeling.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile
I'd advise you to find a horse owner around there and get some manure for free. I'd be thrilled if somebody would take some of mine off my hands! (Well, not literally my hands, but you get my drift.) Years back, I grew over 100 varieties of veggies, fruits, and herbs every year. It was all organically. We also had a cow for milk, soft cheeses, butter and ice cream, we had chickens for eggs and meat, and a couple of feeder pigs. We did spend about $100 a year on seed, and it's possible to cut that by saving seeds from heirloom varieties. (Don't save them from hybrids; you won't get something just like the parent plant.) We bought oats and hay for the cow and pig, and regular chicken feed. We spent about $15 a week at the grocery for things like toilet paper and such.

It was a lot of work, but I loved it. My kids are grown and now my horses take up a lot of my time, but it was a great way to raise a kid. My daughter craves a country home and livestock now. It's nice to know she'd be able to handle it well; she has the experience to do it well.

I still have my canning jars, although the bands are rusty; I'd replace them if I canned anything. I have my hot water bath canner, and my big pressure canner. It holds 42 quarts! And recently I saw the same one for sale new, and it's over $400 now. (It's an All American, and is machined so closely, there's no need for rubber rings. So you never have to replace them; you just get your guage checked yearly at your extension office.) I still have my wonderful old Troy Bilt tiller, 25 years old and still going strong. This stuff, with good care, can last you a lifetime.

I plan to put out a little garden this year, and put some of that manure in it. I'd give you all you needed, if you were closer.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  4:08:08 PM  Show Profile
just do it for the pleasure & everything else is an added bonus. You will feel good feeding your family(2,3, or 10 of you) great healthy food that you grew yourself. Like kristi said start your seedlings and save your seeds. I am not sure but I don't know if you can save seeds that are hybrid's, I read the seed companies are pushing the hybrids because you can't collect the seeds and regrow them, they don't come true to type. I MAY BE WRONG, I dont use hybrid but thats what I read somewhere. I use heirloom and organic. Some one else may know more about that. Just have fun with it. Your outdoors, digging in the dirt & it's great! This forum has alot of very smart women farmers and some one will always be able to help you.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  5:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I too found that the first year of gardening was rather expensive. I spent about $100 starting my first garden- and i did not even get to harvest it (we had to move). This year I have 6 tomato plants that are supposed to grow up to 8 feet tall and continue producing through out the season. I think the will probably pay for my hard work these year alone, not to mention my carrots, onions ect.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile
You are right Michelle, don't collect seeds from hybrids. Collecting from Hierloom and Organic should be fine though.

$15.00 at the store?!! How wonderful was that? I know you had to do a ton of work to do that but how wonderful to be that self-sufficient. I hope I can get there someday.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Michelle -

Like you, there are only two of us. But since I moved into our house 9 years ago I have had a vegetable garden. I was lucky in some ways because there were already raspberries here, but planted in a bad spot. So I moved them and built the rest of my garden around them with raised beds. I have done little improvements each year - to spread out the cost and make the garden to our tastes. Where you can, try to barter with neighbor for seeds or starts from plants. I got my rhubarb start from my dad who had a huge plant. But now I have rhubarb every year. I only plant what we like - not trying to do every vegetable under the sun. We eat a lot of tomatoes and onions - so that is what goes in the garden. Along with potatoes, beans, peas and some lettuce. I have an artichoke plant that comes up every year, and have added two blueberry bushes three years ago. I only can certain things - again, because there are only two of us. I make jam every 3 years, we don't eat that much in a year. I do some canning for gifts too. Again I lucked out on the canner (was my mom's) but I had to buy jars, etc. Try the dollar store for things like that or if you have Tuesday Morning store in your area - sometimes they have these items. I guess my point is, try not to do it all at once, add as you go. In the long run, the cost spreads out over the years and really it is a bit cheaper. Oh by the way - gardens are not just for large families - they are for everyone.

Anne with a small but productive garden

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  10:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your advise and thoughts! I liked the idea of putting the word out to try to get jars, this morning I was talking to my FIL and mentioned the canning I was wanting to do, so he said I could have their jars since they don't garden anymore..yeah!!..and I have a bunch of jars I had thought I could not use but may look at them again. They are old jars that were at this house when we bought it, I caught DH after he took of one load of jars filled with food including blue jars to the dumpters so was able to save the rest and cleaned them out. I am just not sure if they are safe to use. So, I will have start anyways from the in-law jars.

I bought fertilizer because I didn't think I would be able to get enough manure out of that barn, at least not enough to cover the whole garden area. One little donkey doesn't do too much damage in that department.

Horseyrider, that is wonderful spending only $15.00 a week at Grocery store, wish I could get there.

Thanks again for all your input!!

Hugs, Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  1:28:38 PM  Show Profile
I agree with just about everything said here. It costs a little to get started, but every time I eat a steamed veggie or make a salad, or can tomatoes, I know exactly what when on them, where they came from and how old they are. That is worth a lot. Plus the taste of fresh from the garden cannot be beat! :)

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile
We too are starting a garden this year and we are also starting a compost pile. Since we aren't living on our property yet I can't get my chickens - no chickens, no manure. So I join our local Freecyle website and posted that I wanted some chicken manure. Two people answered and tomorrow I am picking up two free loads of chicken manure. I also saw another post on Freecylcing on MJ under across the fence. Good luck with the garden!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  3:55:46 PM  Show Profile
welcome!!! i haven't tried 'putting food by' (or is that 'up'?) .. but we manage to either EAT or GIFT the fruits and veggies that we grow here each year. I am soooooo looking forward to spring planting time! frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Well I know you can use dirt out of your garden to start seeds, but IMHO sterile seed-starter is worth the price to avoid damping-off and other diseases. And I have become addicted to the little Jiffy peat pellets that expand when you add water!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  6:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,

I saw pics I think in this folder of a magazine article on your place, I was just in awe of your a beautiful place, I got up, got DH in here to look at the pictures, too just wonderful!!

Hugs, Michelle
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  6:26:49 PM  Show Profile
TejasFarmgirl,

I would love to hear how you are doing your compost pile..I have not started on as I remember on the farm growing up, the "garbage" pile tended to drawl alot of rodents so for that reason have never started one.

I have heard the are wonderful to enrich your garden so very interested in starting one, if I can get away from the possums coming to visit.

Hugs, Michelle
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michelle - welcome!!

I am completely a newbie - we purchased our 4 1/2 acre property last summer but haven't sold our current home yet -and have been completely remodeling the house-so I don't have any experience with gardening or composting - but I have researched it pretty extensively.

I had taken down some welded wire fencing from the property and made three circles that are 4' x 4'. I have added shredded leaves from the property (we have tons!). Next, I will add the chicken manure, alternating with more shredded leaves, limbs, etc. We have also been saving vegetable and fruit scraps, egg shells and coffee grounds. We have decided not to add meat or dairy products because we don't want to attract more critters than necessary. We will water the pile and turn often. I like the wire circle bins because 1. they were free and 2. to turn the pile, you just lift up the circle and scoop everything back in. We also got a compost thermometer to check the heat in the middle of the pile to make sure it is getting hot enough.

Another idea that is really great is to use worms, I think it is called vermiculture. There you have a big box, order or dig up worms, and feed them your kitchen scraps - apparently there is no smell at all and worm castings are amazing for your garden.

Good luck and look forward to hearing more about you!

D.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  7:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Michelle -

I use compost all the time in my veggie garden, works great, also I get a surprise vegetable from time to time - either extra tomatoes or some type of squash. Where I live the city of Portland has a organization that is called METRO recycling. They occasionally offer compost bins for $25.00. They sell them at the local community collages on a given Saturday - but you have to get up early and wait in line to get one. DH got me one when we first moved in and I have used it constantly. I also use the compost for my potted plants that I put on the porch every spring and summer - the annuals love it.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  05:40:53 AM  Show Profile
I was having the same problem. We have LOTS of critters that roam our property. I finally caved and bought a compost bin from www.compostumbler.com. It's really a lot of money and I know that it CAN be done for free basically but I really worried about the critters and we have so much planting to do this year (my parents are building a new house and will have TONS of planting) that I needed compost asap. My mom split the cost of it with me. I've got my first batch going right now but I think I'm really going to like it. Solves my problem of any smell and critters as well.
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  06:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I started thinking about what you all said about saving seeds. My mom is hispanic from CO and anytime someone comes or goes to CO, they know they better bring a bushel of Chilis back, lol, which we roast and freeze. I don't know what kind they are but they are different than anything we get in the South. So, I saved some of the seeds from the chilis I had last night with my tacos, I have the seeds spread out on a paper towel....but now what?! lol I guess they needs to dry before I try to plant them. SO, wish me luck, I jsut might be growing CO Chili in TN~ LOL

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  09:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You should never add in meat products to your compost (from what I have heard and read) as it can introduce bacteria into the compost that can be very bad for humans and in some cases even fatal.
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  4:40:53 PM  Show Profile
You are right Alee, you should not use meat in a compost. We put up alot of tomato sauce and salsa and pickles last year and are still munching on them. Hubby had never canned before and really got into it! Our arrangement works great, I grow the veggies and he cans them! Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile
I thought I read that the ink on the newspapers could be toxic?
Well anyway, I haven't canned yet but I love using my pressure cooker for dinners. The meat is so danged tender it's embarrassing!

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  04:58:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure, but I think the old texts advised not using newspaper because of heavy metals in the inks. Now just about every newspaper in America uses soy based inks. Notice how you get black fingers when you read the paper, but you didn't when you were a kid? The ink is oily. I don't think it would hurt, but it might not heat up well unless you shred it.

We didn't tend to compost much, at least not in the traditional sense; we just didn't have time to properly tend a pile. We'd find spots in the garden that weren't in production and put things in. It'd be broken down in no time. We also used a lot of manure with it, so no doubt the nitrogen accelerated things. We always had some sort of cover crop in the winter, and used soiled bedding. I don't remember critters being much of a problem, probably due to the manure on top.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Gardening not being frugal?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page