LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  7:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Just a note about being able to collect seeds from the heirloom varieties... that really only counts if you are only planting one variety of each thing (say, only planting one kind of tomato and personally i have started seeds for about 5 different tomatoes). Otherwise you have to keep more space between the plants than most people have to keep them from cross pollinating. Of course, i suppose you could end up with something really interesting the next year.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  06:00:45 AM  Show Profile
You can use newspaper in your compost if it's made with soybased ink. Never use the section that is in color only the black and white. Also, I think shredding the paper makes it break down faster. You can also use the paper between your rows to keep out the weeds, just make sure it's several pages thick.

My biggest reason for having a garden is the 'flavor'. All of our produce out here is trucked in so it's picked early and ripens on the way-it also loses it flavor. By gardening, you can pick the produce when it's close to ripe or ripe and then you get to enjoy all the flavor. That, to me, is worth the start up cost.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile
I dream of putting up a year's supply of food...Lorij - that is so great. Hopefully this year I'll come close. I think flavor is also one of the main reasons to garden, in addition to the fact that for me, the startup costs are "repaid" fairly easily over the course of the winters, even with the litte that I DO put up.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  04:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Another way I've been looking at it lately is like this.

I'm getting back into gardening after a loooong time out. I was just too busy. But our hot bed and cold frame are long gone, so we can't start as much seed ourselves this year. Local nurseries will sell us a handful of varieties, but to get some of the ones I want I have to buy plants from places like Burpee. A pack of three tomato plants is $10.95. This is a stiff increase since I last looked, years ago.

But I figure it like this. I'll be growing them organically, which makes them a premium crop. I'll get thin skinned, vine ripened fruits that would never survive mass production and transport, in addition to the benefit of having maximum vitamin content from more days in the sun and soil. Will I get more than $10.95 worth of tomatoes off my plants? Sure. Even counting my labor and inputs like fertilizer (thankyou, horses!) and pesticides (organic only, which are spendier), I'll come out ahead.

My kids are grown and I have a lot more disposable income than I did years ago. I could buy organic tomatoes, but they'd still have to be varieties that could withstand shipment. I'm very fussy about quality and do a lot of gourmet cooking, and knowing what I know about my own home grown tomatoes, I know NOTHING else compares.

And peppers, and sweet corn, and lettuces.....
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  7:08:58 PM  Show Profile
Today when my DH was complaining about how much this garden is costing us, I remembered all you input in this thread! And no matter what the start cost is I am so looking forward to some FRESH HOMEGROWN veggies!!!

Michelle

http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  6:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Well, I garden and can - and it doesn't cost me very much at all.

First of all, ditch the fertilizer. Most fertilizers are salt-based and over time are detrimental to your soil. Get yourself a bucket with a lid, and start collecting all the coffee grinds, veggie trimmings, tea bags, eggshells (EXCELLENT source of nitrogen!) and tossing them into a compost heap. Add your leaves this fall (not oak leaves) and in a few months you'll have such beautiful dirt for your plants.

I also start all my plants from seeds. I found those yogurt containers are awesome seed-starters. I get the quart sized plain yogurt ones - my dogs and I eat it up all year, and I save the containers - poke a hole or two in the bottom, the lid becomes a tray, and I get plants. I start ONE tomato per container as tomatoes need the most time and water for how I plant them. At planting time, they have to be at least a foot tall - and I remove the lower leaves and plant them 6" deep into the soil. The stem will easily become more roots, and you will save a lot of water with your well-rooted tomatoes.

I have yet to buy a canner. I have a very big, deep pot, and I do the boiling method. The cans get reused each year.

See? It can be cheap ;)

Happy Gardening!
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  05:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, why not Oak leaves?
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Oak leaves are acidic and contain tannins. I love their beauty and hardiness, but I'm glad I don't have any. Every year a horse or two gets sick from eating acorns around here.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  11:11:35 AM  Show Profile
Here is my 2 cents worth.
1- Manure tea! Get an old garbage can, add some manure from a bag, add water and let it steep. I use it all summer long adding more water and more manure. It works great and it is cheap fertilizer.
Don't be afriad to make friends with neighbors who garden, especially the older ones. They have great wisdom that is free and I have found that once a relationship is formed there is often gifts of plnats and such. I have made friends with "G'pa Chuck' who has not only given extra strawberry plants he didn't need,but extra soil and composts as well Onions, Raspberries, Bluberries and Sweet onions, and more. It all started with a question about gardening. I think it makes older people happy when they see interest in gardening from the next generation.
Cost in the beginning, yep, but well worth it in the end!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Julia - I so agree with tapping into the wealth of information that experienced people have. Some of my absolute best friends and helps are those who have farmed and gardened in our valley and town for the entirety of their seventy to eighty years. I feel so lucky to know them - sometimes I think I should be tape recording what they say, and I feel too sheepish to ask them...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Oak leaves are alleopathic - they don't permit the growth of new young plants very easily. I use them in established beds of good-sized trees & shrubs because they do help (I said HELP) keep the weeds down.

The manure tea is an EXCELLENT suggestion. I make a compost tea of leaves in a garbage pail evey once in a while. The stuff stinks to HIGH HEAVEN but the plants love it.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  05:47:44 AM  Show Profile
What about composting oak leaves, especially with a lot of other materials?
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  05:59:02 AM  Show Profile
There is NOTHIN' better then gardening.:o)
Yes..the beginning cost can be a burden, but the first year we dug our gardens, hubby bartered for the use of a tiller, I did buy all the seeds, but started them in an old carrier that you place on top of a car. The kind that you put your suitcases in. It was the top part that a friend gave us. The jars where gathered over the summer season. Mostly from yard sales and the good will. The canners where bought AT canning season. We had the kids set up a veg stand every week-end and sold our excess vegs. This money we split with the kids. They got half, and the rest bought the canners. That winter we had so much stuff canned, it was wonderful opening up a jar of your own tomatoes to put in chili. The next season, I used the left over seeds. I had them stored in the fridge, and everyone of them came up.
So, it can be done cheaply. Barter whatever you can....and sell your extras at either a stand you have yourself, or almost every town has a farmers market now.
And most important of all, have fun, and be proud of the work that you've done. It's not easy, but it sure soothes the soul! :o)
Sweet Blessins',
Paula ;o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Texas
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Cynthia
Mena Arkansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Cindy Texas an AOL message
I have loved reading all the information on gardening. I can't wait to start my own but one question I do have is how do you save seeds? Do you just pull the seeds out before you eat the fruits and vegetables? Do you have to do anything special to them? How do you store them? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  12:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
First, welcome to Michelle, Next what a NEAT thread!!! I have enjoyed all of your post so very much! A couple things I would love to echo is that the taste and quality of homegrown are so much better not to mention the nutritional value! If one wants organic then I would say that growing your own is much better and more cost effective!! However if you just want to purchase produce grown til closer to being ripe thus boosting the nutritional value then buying at the farmers market may be cheaper. However, you would miss out on the joy and satifaction of working your own piece of ground and seeing (and tasting!! ) the wonderful results!! I use to can a lot and I always used the boiling method so the cost to get started was never too high and of course I reused the jars, rings and canner so those cost were more then worth it not to mention the wonderful taste and quality we were able to have doing our own. One BIG point that I did not hear made was if you use old jars wether you get them empty or not make sure to boil them BEFORE you use them. I boiled mine twice. First I washed with soap, then soaked in bleach water, then rinsed and boiled them before I used them. Maybe I was over cautious but there are some nasty things that can develop in canned food not preserved right or left too long in the jar and it can be very harmful so to be on the safe side I would be very careful to ensure they were very clean. Also a side note on the manure "tea", I heard this is wonderful but that sheep's manure is the best for this but take care using it on young plants....dunno if anyone has actually tried it or not but that is what I have read
Keep the great post comming I am enjoying them so much!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile
for starter containers I have a silly little tip for you.

If you mix your potting soil with unflavored geletin it helps give extra oomph to your plants, before it sets pack your soil into used toilet paper rolls that have been cut in half. Then you can have starter containers that are all the same height, and you can just plant the paper rolls directly into your planting area because the roots can grow right down, and the rolls just decompose right there in the garden.

I read that in a book about urban gardening, and it had a chapter on ways you can recycle and reuse things you would normally throw out.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I like your planting starter tips, Bobbi! Smart, and positive!

Jo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Gardening not being frugal?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page