Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  7:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Tracey for the tips! I'll keep you all posted.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  4:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, Just wanted to update you all on what's happening. I have decided not to breed SadieMae this year. I talked to my dad a lot and told him what you ladies have said and what I have looked up and we weighted out the pros and cons and I thought that it would be best if we waited. My dad agrees. I have a really good feeling about it and feel like it's a good decision for SadieMae too. Thanks you all for your help and advice! I really appreciated it!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  7:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, congrads on making a very good choice. We all wish you only the best for your self. And we will always be here for you.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  9:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, I have a Sadie Mae, too. Her last name is Belle. She's a mess. She's 2 1/2 years old. She accidentally got bred when she 8 months old. She was very big for her age. Her twin sister was bred then, too. But Sadie Mae miscarried a few months later. So she was a little over 2 when she kidded this past spring. She had twin bucks. Big boys, too. I plan to use the one I kept to breed a few does this year. He's very big and mature for his age, which right now is only 6 months. But he'll be ready to go next month.

Anyway, it is good to wait til a doe is at least 2 to breed them in my oppinion. For my Sadie Mae, anyway.

And I had no idea you were just 14! You might have already told me what kind of goats you have and how many and if they are milk goats, but I can't remember. And do you have pictures? So I need to know all this again, please. I just love "goat people"! When I figure out the picture thing, I will show you my Sadie Mae Belle. She's so cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  9:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kristin, Thank you so much for telling your story. I feel very good now that I made the right decision.

Anyway, I have 3 goats. 2 does and 1 buck. I only have one milk goat right now and will soon breed her next month. I've only had them for almost 7 months and am having so much fun learning and being with them!! I do have pictures of them somewhere on Barnyard buddies. I'll see if I can find it. The picture was taken when I first got them so they are a lot bigger now. Can't wait to see your SadieMae!!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  9:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
And yes a lot of people are suprised that I am only 14 years old. Soon to be 15. I'm homeschooled, love anything having to do with a farm, love working with animals and hope someday to be a veternarian ( Not sure if thats spelled right, sorry about that), love spending time with family and friends,and love learning from all you farmgirls!!! So you see, I'm very diffrent from any other 14 year old in a good way. :)
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  05:36:15 AM  Show Profile
I have never gone by the book where they tell you to breed them by 8 months old. I think that is to young. I always hold them over till the next fall. I have never had a doe that did not take except one in 18 years. I found out later she was born without a cervix. One of those weird birth defects.

One time I had a young doe get bred accidently( The buck escaped)and I gave her a shot to make it not take. The vet assured me this works with no problem. Well it didn't work. After 3 months she started to show. She ended up with triplets and her back legs swelled and she could not stand. Finally after pampering her and working with her she went into labor. I liked to never got those babies out of her. She ended up being okay but took lots of care and special feeding, suppliments to get her in good shape. She never grew as big as my other does. I think it stunted her. She was also the mom that had the baby born with no cervix. That could have been just a coincidence.

I know some goat breeds people breed earlier because they nature earlier and they do fine. I have Nubians and I think they do better being held over. But everyone has a special way and reason. Goodluck and follow your instincts. If they look small to you then just wait awhile.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info Linda!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic MORE goat questions. Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page