New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I canned beets today!! Next Topic  

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  12:49:42 PM  Show Profile
YES at the harvest market I went to today I got quite a lot of red beets, raw ones. SO cooked them, peeled, cut them in dices, warmed vinegar and melted sugar in it till it is nice sweet&sour, filed some canning jars with beets and the vinegar mixture and hey presto, 6 jars filled with yummo sweet&sour beets!!

That was my first real try at canning and it tastes wonderful!!
Now I need to make plum chutney/jam and something with zuccini. Any ideas for that? Nice and easy please, am just a beginner lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  8:27:53 PM  Show Profile
Sounds delish! Congratulations on canning! Watch out..it can be addicting! Beets..yummmmm

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  8:46:14 PM  Show Profile
How fun! I wish I had some beets to can. Didn't grow any in my garden this year and haven't seen any local ones for sale either. They are one of my favorites.You can make bread and butter pickles with the zuchinni if they arn't too awfully big. The recipe I use is on my blog a few posts from the top. I use both cukes and zukes in mine..equally yummy.
I have a big old basket of plums ready to process too. I will be making plum jam for sure. May steam juice some too..we will see. I love them fresh and sure appreciate our straggly old trees this time every year.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  05:44:59 AM  Show Profile
They sound yummy! Enjoy them and congrats on getting them canned!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I canned beets today!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page