Page: of 2

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  09:07:18 AM  Show Profile
ok its that time of year again. what is everyone thinking of making for christmas gifts? i love all the ideas that come from all my farmgirl friends.
my list so far:
pillowcases
colored pencil holders
tissue holders(stocking stuffers)
tis the season to start on all these projects! can't wait to hear what you all are doing?
cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  11:21:07 AM  Show Profile
I am making maryjanes slippers, cross stitched pincushions, heart dishcloths, chenille washcloths, embellished dishtowels, and I know I will come up with more later.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I only have one in the making right now, but since the person who will be getting it is a Farmgirl, I can't tell ya what it is til after Christmas..hehe

I am glad yall asked this because I need some ideas!! LOL

hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  5:26:48 PM  Show Profile
I am making table runners for everyone in the family and a quilt for my 9 mo old granddaughter. I am going to free motion embroidery Christmas cards, too. I wish I had begun earlier, but you all know...the best laid plans...God laughs. But I'll hang in there. These months just move too fast for me to catch up. I just love to bake, so of course there will be lefse,and a gazillion kinds of cookies. It's fun to give away yummies at holiday time.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie--what is free motion embroidery on Christmas cards? I have never heard of that?
Sounds awesome and I bet its beautiful!!
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  8:51:47 PM  Show Profile
I will make pajamas as always for my 4 kids still at home, as well as my three grandkids and probably my neice who is 10. I am doing some of the plastic mugs with cross stitch inserts for the grandkids too, ski masks for the boys, maryjane slippers for my sis in laws, sister and a friend, knit dish cloths and tea towels and at least one Quilt, maybe two will be done by then. Proabably more stuff when I get going...but I am always doing things last minute!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  04:44:29 AM  Show Profile
I will be making flannel pajama pants for everyone in the family- that's 10 adults and 6 children! Luckily, they are very easy to make!
And, my girls and SIL's and cousins will all get some of my soaps. Some of them will get aprons, and the ones who sew will get pinkeeps!
Also, I am making potholders. I am thinking of doing gift baskets for parents on both sides, with some of my canned things, and potholders and soaps.
We have gone to drawing names(except for the little ones) for the last 4 years now, so it makes it a little easier on the ones who don't have money right now, but I love, love to give gifts at Christmas, so this year it will be all home made!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  07:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Jessie and all: Free motion quilting and embroidery is so much fun.It is essentially drawing with your sewing machine. You use the darning foot on your machine. Drop the feed dogs (check your manual for that)or cover them up with a 3x5 card with a hole in it taped to the machine. Check your manual to see if you need to release the pressure on the pressure foot. Thread your machine. Put your fabric together with batting and backing, or put your fabric in a hoop, or you can sew on paper. Place the fabric or paper under the needle. Bring up the bottom thread and hold the thread with your left hand and start stitching. Clip off those threads you were holding so they don't get in the way. Now YOU are in charge of what you sew because you are guiding the machine and you can sew in any direction you want!
It sounds complicated but it is not. I saw a picture of some of it done in the 1890s done on a treadle machine!

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  07:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Quilts for the mommies and Jammas for the little girls and a stocking for the newest arival on Dec 31.
Quilt for a neighbor and lots of baked goods.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:12:19 PM  Show Profile
i will be adding maryjane's slippers to my list of things to make. i read somewhere on here to use fabric puffy paints on the bottoms to make them non slip!

Go to Top of Page

keyboo
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Lucy
Cambridge Springs Pa.
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I am knitting felted slippers, knitting little beaded change purses, drying herbs from my garden, making seed packets for the flower seedss that i have been saving, and finally i am painting a map of the world from an old puzzle that was my son's when he was a little boy! that's the BIG one!
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  3:13:55 PM  Show Profile
So far....Flannel robe for DH and PJ's for the kids.

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.etsy.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1668 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1668 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  7:16:26 PM  Show Profile
bath gift baskets to match their bathroom with a handmade towel wrap for wet hair, homemade bath goodies for the gals. Jammie bottoms for the guys, homemade mint sauce from my mint growing out my backdoor and alot of baked goods and homade jams. With the jams I usually will make bread and lots of them or muffins on Christmas Eve day. Make some little girl jammies and robe for my grand daughter.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  06:12:00 AM  Show Profile
I always do pajama's for all the grandkids and this year the boys are each getting pillow cases for thier rooms and the girls are getting pajama's for thier dolls. For my sisters I have many old blue jars from our grandmother that I will be putting an embroidered dish towel, knitted dishclothes, potholders and a scrubbie into, for the gift tags, I am going to use one of grandma's recipes. I love how creative everyone is.

Julie

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
I am making farm girl type notecards,crocheted slippers, a crochted blanket,crocheted dishtowels,and handmade clay ornaments and aprons.

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  12:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Tina: I'd love to see some of your farmgirl type notecards. Put them on-line when you get them done.

I wish I had someone that would make me neat stuff like you all are making. Have fun y'all.

Bonnie Ellis

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm making aprons for most of the women. My SIL is getting a quilt. Pincushions (specfically using the apple bowl fillers that were in one of the MJF spring issues)then there's always the canned tuna and canned pie fillings. :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I need to get moving on gifts,like all of you have. I love reading what everyone is doing, and they are really great ideas. I am still working on birthday presents for the year.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:08:14 PM  Show Profile
I made 5 different kinds of jam ealier this year so they will be used in gift baskets. I'll make a couple fabric covered photo albums out of 3 ring binders. I'm learning to crochet so depending how that goes maybe some pot holders. My two neighbors will get clothespin bags from an idea I got here (thank-you). I never got my Aug/Sept MJF mag. but, the slippers sound great, maybe I can get my hands on one and see what they are about. I also make all my own gift tags and bows. Sounds like we all have a lot of work to do. Have Fun.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  12:44:56 PM  Show Profile
You guys are making me tired just reading this!!!

So far, jams, pickles, baked goods, and aprons and an overstuffed toddler arm chair are all I have on tap. I have got to learn to knit and/or crochet so I can make those new slippers. They would be perfect. I'm hoping I can make a couple sets of embroidered tea towels as well. Just have to wait and see how much time I have between now and then.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  10:47:36 AM  Show Profile
i can't wait to see my christmas box of presents keep growing and growing. the most fun is watching people open them and hopefully seeing that the gift was made with love and them in mind!

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  06:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Maryjanes slippers? Where did you get the pattern?
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  07:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
My dd's both requested throw blankets made from that extra cuddle fleece. Then I'm thinking about making my ds a belt. I think he collects belts and wallets. Is that a strange collection for a 10 year old boy? Then the rest fo the family I think will be getting cookies and candies.

I had planned to a more elaborate homemade Christmas, but since we are going be moving to new home soon I've decided to keep Christmas as simple as possible.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  09:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Suzan, the MaryJane Slippers were in the August/September issue of the magazine. She include the instructions. They are absolutely adorable.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kick in the behind!@!!
I am making a flannel quilt for 1 daughter, a tree skirt for another dauther, picnic quilt and picnic basket for my son and his new bride, several pairs of PJs, socks for my sil and soaps and lotions for my nieces.
Gusee I'd better get up to the sewing room

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

sewsweet
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Carol

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  10:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I am making a little quilted gift basket that I found the pattern for on the internet. In it, I'm going to put various homemade gifts, depending on the recipient. One is going to be for a tea lover. So, I'm including a homemade tea wallet (pattern also found on the internet) a can of green tea, some homemade coasters (pattern found...you guessed it, on the internet), maybe a few small items like a tea ball and a japanese tea cup.

I'm going to try to make 90 percent of my gifts this year. I made a friend a evening out shawl. I crocheted an amigurumi doll for my daughter. Guys are harder. Hence, the 90 percent homemade plan.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic christmas gifts-what are you making? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page