Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 My job at the Local Gas Station
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic My job at the Local Gas Station Next Topic  

Ms. Mel
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Melissa
Laverne Oklahoma
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  9:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Sooo for the past 9 weeks I have worked every weekend. Today my manager posted the schedule for next week, and guess what.. I have a weekend off! Finally! BUT she claims I have to work for it ugh! I will be working nine days in a row with nine hour shifts each day. Not very fun at all! I'm trying so hard to be positive but now it's hard to be. We have had three girls quit in the last month. One girl only lasted a day, pretty sad. I have worked at this wonderful job Since December '08. This is the only bad thing about living in a small town, there are just not very many job opportunities! It gets frustrating. The nine hours a day I work I do not get one single break. I am on my feet and lifting heavy things constantly (nothing weighs less than 40lbs that i have to lift). Keep in mind that I only weigh 115lbs. If I were a smoker then I could get breaks, well that just doesn't seem fair at all.LOL.

Ahh, I'm venting I know. I just get so frustrated I want to scream. Anyways, I will continue to hold my head high and try my best to be positive. My dream job will one day come around. A job that I can have breaks, work monday thru friday and eight hour shifts at the most. Maybe It just a fantasy considering how things are with the economy. I'm just thankful I have a job.

Anyways, I had to get this off my chest. Sorry

http://little-mel.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  10:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melissa- you should speak to your boss! You are supposed to have breaks by law! She could get in BIG trouble if she doesn't give you breaks and you decided to complain to the right agencies! And make sure you get your overtime! I don't think there is any way to break up 9 days straight and have it not go over 40 hours for at least 5 hours in one week!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  04:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Melissa and welcome to the forum! Alee is right. You are entitled to coffee breaks by law. Call the wage and hour dept. and report them if they don't see to it that you get scheduled breaks. You could actually sue them and win monetary compensation for this. No kidding!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I know how you feel. I am going to assume OK is just like TX as in being a "employment at will" state and other state laws don't apply. You really can be fired if she does not like the color of your blouse and you don't get all the breaks as others. You are right that it can be hard but keeping that smile and being positive is what will give you peace of mind. You are also correct that your perfect job will come in time.
My son had a job he liked but a boss that was not so liked. He stayed positive, went out of the way to help his customers and one day out of the blue he helped a customer who, unknown to my son was a very wealthy man who owned a local ranch and admired my son's work ethic's and offered him a job on the site. It was an offer no one could turn down. The man also worked around my son's college schedule.
Positive attitudes just can't help but be noticed.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  8:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there. OR is one of those states that you can be fired cuz you parted your hair on the wrong side. I don't understand that!

The more I think about it, the more I want to work for myself...hehehe...

But keep going, one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  08:03:20 AM  Show Profile
So sorry Mel, things are so crazy right now with jobs, the worst in decades, and a report this AM it is going to get worse. My daughter is still looking for work. You are right, do the best you can, be positive, and follow the advice of Alee and Cheryl, know your rights as an employee.
I'm pulling for you!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Mel
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Melissa
Laverne Oklahoma
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  7:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Well according to some coworkers, they do not HAVE to give us breaks due to the fact that we work at a gas station. Now I don't really understand if I am entitled to my breaks now. But yes I will have overtime for sure. I'm already worn out just thinking about it!!

Today was probably the worst day, My feet are still swollen sooo bad. I could barely stand it at work I just sat on the floor I didn't care if I got in trouble, I knew I wouldn't though because they consider me one of the best employees and can't afford to let me go not that I will abuse that or anything but anyways, keep me in your prayers!

http://little-mel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  8:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.ok.gov/odol/documents/WHWageLawBooklet2009.pdf

Darn! I looked it up and there is no law requiring mandatory breaks once you are past the age of 15. Perhaps if you and the employeer are on good terms you could speak to them about letting you have a few minutes every 3 hours to sit down and get off your feet?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile
The work laws over here are not the norms. People can get fired at the drop of a pin and sadly some employers take advantage of it.

Can't smile over this subject, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  06:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
after my husband's head injury, before we got disability for him I had to work at a convenience store and gas station combo..i worked alone..weekends..midnight shift..no breaks 9 hour shifts..and i did it for over a year and then went back and helped out when they had a turnover and needed help

trust me i know what you are going through..but in most states it is illegal to work a person that many hours straight, no breaks..no days off..so check with your states laws..it might be illegal for them to schedule you that many days straight..

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic My job at the Local Gas Station Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page