Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 HELP cleaning very hard water stains!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic HELP cleaning very hard water stains! Next Topic  

Wenpress
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Wendy
Pittsburg KS
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  1:22:26 PM  Show Profile

Hi Everyone,
I have such a problem with my fiberglass shower unit. I have scrubbed
and worked very hard trying to get all the hard water stains off.
I have used every commercial cleaning item out there. Any advice to
get it all clean before my company comes at Thanksgiving!
It is 30years old, maybe there is no hope.
Thanks, Wen

~If you want to put the world right, start with yourself.~

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  1:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Mine was bad when we moved in. I used ZAP and the pads that come with it. It is probably highly toxic but it did the trick.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  2:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried the scraper razor blades they use to get dried paint off window glass? You can buy them for about $1.50 with a little handle and a couple of replacement blades. Once you have scraped all the residue off, then you should protect your work with a little wax. Gel-Gloss is what I usually use, but I bet you could use car wax too. Just don't get any on any surface where you stand or might step on, and re-apply every 6 weeks or so. After waxing, your shower should just wipe clean to a sparkle!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  2:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I was buying Works tub and tile cleaner for hard water stains and it worked really well but Wal-Mart and the Dollar store both stopped carrying it. I wonder if it's just not available anymore.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  4:45:01 PM  Show Profile
You have already tried CLR and other same-type products? They are nasty chemicals, I think (yet their labels try to make them sound 'green') but really work well on our hard water deposits. When dh and I bought our 50yr.old house it was bank-owned and so sadly neglected. We thought the shower door was frosted glass. Uh, no. It took straight CLR, several bottles, and a good soft cloth to reveal it was clear glass. ::shudder:: Dh took a bath in that tub the first night he spent there working on the place before we moved. It is one of our many rehabbing nightmare stories that makes us laugh now.

Hoping to get a new tub next year with income tax money...prior residents so badly mistreated the tub (I think they Ajaxed it to death) that there is very little porcelain coating left on it and the hard water bonds instantly to it. So hard to keep clean!

Good luck and have fun with your Thanksgiving company.

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  03:59:30 AM  Show Profile
I do use the Works on the toilet,it is the only hting that will remove the orange stains. I used the spray on the shower but the fumes were aweful so I now use Soft Scrub and those Dobie dish scrubbers which are abrasive but don't scratch.Seems to do a half-way decent job. We (my hubby) used to wax the walls with auto wax but it was very tedious.
Good luck.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic HELP cleaning very hard water stains! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page