LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  8:54:50 PM  Show Profile
I was reading the post on daffodils which gave me the idea for this post.

We moved into our house last August so I still don't know what all I have growing in my yard. I hope that there are daffodils and crocus, poppies and foxglove. I know that there are snowdrops which I've never had but always wanted so they are a special gift this late winter just when I'm getting impatient for spring and all it's possibilities. A new property makes me so hopeful. Especially this time when I know that we have our ultimate property and barring some yet unforseen disaster or opportunity we will not be moving again, ever. I can dream of all the gardens I want to cultivate and know that I have time to stay and let them unfold and that I will not have to give them away to move onto another blank slate.

I don't think I have ever been so grateful for spring as I am this year.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  04:35:03 AM  Show Profile
You make me think of a friend of mine who bought a new country place in the fall one year. The place had been previously owned by a couple who had owned a nursery for many years, and the son still ran the nursery. They put lots of things out in their yard that either didn't sell, or that they just loved. That spring, they were shocked to find an amazing array of spring bulbs coming up! All sorts of crocuses, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, grape hyacinths, etc came up. It was beautiful! They also had small fruit trees, grapes, rhubarb, and an assortment of landscaping specimens. The fragrance from the lilacs was incredible.

Sadly, the husband is an anal type, and I know he cut down over fifty trees and bushes that just weren't in his mowing plan. He was considering cutting the evergreens that lined the perimeter of the property (he was concerned about snowdrifts), but I urged him to keep them for the privacy factor. This property was a gardener's paradise, all made and ready to go.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  04:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Laura, I sure hope it's a beautiful and colorful surprise for you!

I know what you mean about a blank slate. We moved to ours about 9 years ago. I have put so much sweat and tears into this small plot of land, it would kill me to have to move. Everything has its own groove and rhythm now...not so much work any more.

This Spring will be grand fun!! Keep dreaming of all you want to do there, it will happen.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  12:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Laura~~~ It will be such a sweet surprise to watch things "pop" up this spring~~
May your gardens be plentiful~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  3:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Laura -

I know the feeling of the wait. When we moved into our house 9 years ago, it was in January. There wasn't much to look at. A few roses, a couple of rotten trees and the lilac bush. But I decide to wait to see if anything would come up before I started digging. I found when I went to move our roses there were peonies amongst them, nice surprise. I also found raspberries growing in the very back of our yard up against a fence. I also found shasta daisies, wood and grape hycinths, ladies mantle and the star of david bulbs. Also I had heirloom bleeding hearts. So over the years I have moved somethings to better areas and then built my yard around them. Now I have a wonderful mix of the old stuff with some of the new. As I have cultivated the yard I must have woke up some old stuff that was buried, because now I have deep purple columbine, which I did not plant and neither of my neighbors have. So be patient and I hope you find some wonderful surprises.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Watching and Waiting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page