Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What is your favorite childhood moments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your favorite childhood moments Next Topic  

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  06:00:22 AM  Show Profile
down on the farm?
I was fortunate enough to grow up on a farm, and oh the memories I cherish. Having to hold the baby calf milk bottle so tight so the calf wouldnt yank it from my little hands. Sliding down the stacks of hay in the old hay barn, sitting on the back of the trailer eating sugarcane as papa cut and stacked it on the trailer. Churning the butter for my granny in the old churn. Sneaking a drink of milk as we milk the cows. Loading and unloading the trailer pulled by the tractor full of wood preparing for the cooler dys of winter. Playing with the new chics and baby piglets was just some of the fun this country girl enjoyed back in the day. I many times wish I could go back and revist those days, but they are forever gone but will be in my heart forever.
Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  07:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Ther are so many but some of my favorites are: when grandpa brought in the baby chick that fell in the water trough and told me to "shh" and put it under my covers before grandma seen. Sliding down the hill behind the barn on pine needles using gunny sacks. The baby lamb whose mama died in grandmas laundry basket in front of the wood stove and my cousin Ted holding me upside down over the pig pen saying he was gonna feed me to them. It is sad those days are gone but just think Karen we are so very lucky to have had them and you are right they will be with us forever. Getting a little teary eyed missing my grandparents.

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers

http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile
I know I could never come up with a single memory, I think it would be closer to a hundred? I do remember one ( and I was being bad), my grandparents farm when i was 6 or 7 still had the 2 hole outhouse behind the barn, it was still used, anyway i had just gone in and used it, noticed a big black rat snake hanging out in the rafters, didn't tell anyone, my cousin went in, sat down, started screaming and ran out with her pants still down, I started laughing, my mom started yelling and my grandpa told her to shush, ( he was her dad), cause if you are a country kid, you should not scream and run from a harmless snake. I also remember fondly sitting with my mom while she was milking, and getting in line with the barn cats to get a squirt of milk, I would need a bath after milking due to all the sticky milk on me, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:41:30 AM  Show Profile
My grandparents had a ranch that I was lucky enough to get to spend many summers at. My favorite memories are trying to get the eggs from underneath the chickens without getting pecked, I think that's why I want chickens so bad now! I also cherise a wonderful memory of going out the the outhouse (yes, they had no indoor plumbing) at the break of day, with the mists rolling up from the ground and seeing my grandfather straight and proud astride his horse ready to go check his herd for the day. He made a very romantic figure, something straight out of the old west in my little girls imagination!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your favorite childhood moments Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page