farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:24:56 AM  Show Profile
I am going to give the mother recipe one more try and I was wondering if I can use distilled water? I have no idea if distilled and purified water are the same things or not! Thanks, Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy,
I have used distilled water successfully. What kind of flour are you going to use?

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tammy!

You might want to go ask your question over on the Bread the MaryJane Way thread. Willowtreecreek is awesome with the sour dough and can answer your question best. www.breadthemaryjaneway.org

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy - I am going to post the answer here and in the bread thread because others might be interested as well. Feel free to join us over there!

Distilled water is boiled until it steams. The STEAM is collected and when it returns to its liquid state it is collected. Minerals and other impurities are too heavy to collect with the steam. It is a method of purification.

Purified water is typically Filtered water. Often the water is filtered through a charcoal filter where the large particals can not pass through. Sometimes purified water is "purified" using UV light.

Distilled water is likely the cleanest bottled water available and would be a great choice when you dont want minerals, elements and other things effecting what you are working with.

I used distilled water with my starter.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  09:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! I've got Hodgson Mill's organic naturally white unbleached flour. Do you think that will be okay? Or is there a better flour that I should get? The last time I tried to make the mother it molded, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. I used purified water the first time so maybe the distilled water will work better.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard

Edited by - farmmom22 on Sep 14 2009 09:07:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  2:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Tammy for the benefit of the other girls I'm gonna move this question to the Bread the MAryJane way page. I think a lot of people would like to read your question and hear the answer. Here is a direct link to the bread page where you will find the answer. http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238&whichpage=104

If you have more questions and you post them over there I can get to you a little faster because I get email updates when someone replies on the post. So glad your getting back into the bread thing again!!

By the way I have enjoyed your recipe of the week feature on your blog!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Sep 14 2009 2:06:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic MJ mother question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page